Microsoft: Kinect To Last Five Years, 3D Common in Three

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I predict that the Kinect will fail horribly in six months, be quietly retired, but gain a strong fandom amongst a club of about six people who will maintain that it was the most awesome console ever, just like the Dreamcast dudes still floating around to this very day.

I predict that the PlayStation Move will do slightly better, but still will pale in comparison to the Wii.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
thats too soon for 3D hell the UK population hasn't even cottoned on to Digital TV signals yet
XD Preach it. (Me and my family live in England, and I believe my father is still getting his BBC channels from Wales.)

But yeah, it does feel too soon. Most people I know haven't even got HD or Blu-Ray, let alone 3D. The economy is still far too crappy and jobs too scarce -- in the UK, anyway -- for people to just go out and buy the latest fad whenever it pleases them, at thousands of pounds a pop. It actually kinda feels like evil grinning businessmen are really pushing this for all they're worth, that live in lands with unicorns made out of bank notes, and then there's people just pushing it back away like a kid with their plate of veggies, all like, 'Um, no.'

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Pugiron said:
Ahh more corporate cheerleading maquerading as news from Tommy. I cannot wait to watch the Video Game Division do more damage to Microsoft's profits and value. This is like watching the Galactic Empire insist on making the next Death Star run on coal power, just because they own a lot of coal mines.
Strange, that is exactly the logic the British Empire used with locomotion for the Train Network.

It also ended up in a similar state as the Death Star.

OT: how can they be talking about 3D when most people still are stuck on DVD for their movies and the biggest selling console this generation is NOT a "HD capable" machine like PS3 or 360 but the Wii that can only handle 480p. HD isn't even really here yet, and they are foisting 3D on us?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'd be surprised if it lasts for more than 2 months. Also, 3D to become common in 3 years? What the fuck is that guy smoking? The prices of 3DTV's are unreasonably high and giving that they STILL require you to wear glasses I'm pretty sure your average Joe will just pass. Unless there's a drastic price drop I can't see 3DTV's succeeding.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I'm now beginning to wonder if the whole 3D for games thing is a possible way for them to try and justify another price raise for the game standard like the jump to the "next gen" years back.

About To Crash said:
Snipped
Does anyone see the size of the room in the picture in the article? Or the amount of space cleared out? I don't have that big of a place to play games, and I don't think that the makers of Kinect understand exactly what's going on here. Motion controls on the whole may be a big boost to getting more poeple into gaming, since it has a fairly easy to understand control scheme, but is it really bringing us the future of gaming, or is it a shallow, sparkly-thing that will only take our eyes away from core gaming for a little while? I don't think the 360 has five years in it with Kinect unless they manage to create a new type of gaming experience, and while that seems to be possible, it doesn't look like what they're going for.
That got me thinking about what Icehearted remarked: Now Joe Six-Pack is going to have to buy a new living room on top of everything else!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Chunko said:
3D gives me a headache. Why does everyone like it so much?
Because "focus groups" say you like it.

But you're not alone, fully 12% of the world population is immune to the optical trick that is 3d and another quarter gets migraine attacks from it and I count myself among both those categories.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Mornelithe said:
arc1991 said:
Pirating also happens on PC no excuse. The piracy issue has been dealt with, anyone who play's Halo Reach online before the release date is getting permanently banned. and saying the Xbox 360 is unreliable is getting pretty old now, we have known since 2005.

And yey, 2 games will make the PC better than consoles wont it? have you seen the Console titles coming up lately?

im sorry but most of the problems you listed also affect the PC.

Both machines are doing just fine (well ish) neither are doing better than each other.
Console defense force, mobilize!

OT: It's interesting to see Microsoft take Sony's approach to Motion controlling this gen? They've gone their own direction, much much different than Wii/Move, and will likely have the same problems at launch and the first 2 years as the PS3 did with developers getting their heads around using it properly. Interesting indeed.
I find it funny that MS decides to get in the motion control using the same way that PS has been doing since PS2 (Playstation camera, whatever its called lol). The fact Sony went back and did a movement controller shows that they figured out that you need SOME buttons for a game besides exercise program, which MS seems to have yet to figure out :p

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I always wondered where Valve got their time from. Now I understand. The five year lifespan of the Kinect seems to integrate seamlessly with the 1 year development time of Half Life 2: Episode 3.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Treblaine said:
-also extending this generation to be a full TEN YEARS LONG

Console gaming is looking to be in a pretty poor state at the moment
If console gaming dies, this will be why. However, if the Big Three really do try this moronic strategy, a third-party will swoop in and corner the market. By 2013, it will be possible to design a better console than the PS3 in a garage. By that date, many games will be as demanding as Crysis and simply too powerful for consoles. The Garagecube will be the only console.

Again, this is only if the Big Three are really planning to hold back on new consoles until 2015. I suspect that in reality, Microsoft and Sony are suffering design delays on the 720 and PS4 and so are giving out worst-case-scenario release dates.