Microsoft: Kinect To Last Five Years, 3D Common in Three

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft: Kinect To Last Five Years, 3D Common in Three

Microsoft's European VP is hoping to wring another five years out of the Xbox 360 through Kinect, and believes there is "no doubt" that 3D gaming will take off in three years.

Chris Lewis, vice president of Microsoft's European interactive entertainment branch, has confirmed that the company plans to sit on the future technology [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Console/dp/B003O6JJKY/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1282668931&sr=1-3], Lewis actually has a strong belief that it'll take over the game industry in the next few years.

In an interview with BusinessWeek Lewis said: "Kinect really gives us, I think, a very genuine additional five years." He's hoping that the motion camera device will bring in a whole new sect of game players. "What Kinect does is broaden us out to users that we weren't addressing in the past," he believes. This includes Justin Bieber fans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101708-Justin-Bieber-Brainwashing-Teens-to-Buy-Kinect].

Oddly enough, Lewis also seems to have mentioned the possibility of releasing a new console alongside the Xbox 360. BusinessWeek writes that Microsoft "might release a new console while the Xbox 360 is still on sale," with Lewis commenting: "But we're not fixated on that right now." What this exactly was referring to is unknown, but Microsoft assuredly is focusing on trying to make Kinect a success with the mainstream for now.

3D console gaming is Sony's big thing at the moment, with Nintendo covering the handheld space [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101379-E3-2010-Hands-on-With-the-Nintendo-3DS], but Microsoft has been totally absent from any mention of its future containing a 3D component. Still, of 3D gaming becoming widespread, Lewis says: "We are two to three years away from that, till the price point comes down, till the experience is sufficiently social, that you don't sit there with big glasses on and don't talk to your family. That will happen, there's no doubt." If Microsoft does have super secret plans to get into 3D, it's keeping them under wraps.

Source: BusinessWeek [http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-08-23/microsoft-will-offer-xbox-360-for-five-more-years.html]

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
iam not ready for a new console gen until at least 2013, because ill will have ps3 for 6 years and 360 for 4 years in 2013.

Irode

Jan 18, 2010
Chunko said:
3D gives me a headache. Why does everyone like it so much?
Maybe because the masses don't have as much imagination as me and you, so they need another immersive device to help them enjoy things more.

It seems that Microsoft are being very ambitious with a gimmick that failed Nintendo after only a few years.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
5 years!! games are allready very close to the bar on the 360 now.
i want to see more enemies on the screen faster load times and smoother controls 3d just hurts my eyes :(

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
-THQ says console gaming is dying and is glad that it is
-Piracy reaches crescendo levels on 360 with Halo Reach leak
-PS3 gets busted wide open by pirates
-Casual-isation with coming Move + Kinect also Wii's exponential success
-also extending this generation to be a full TEN YEARS LONG
-Xbox 360 S revealed to be as unreliable as previous models
-3D being forced on mainstream consoles
-Starcraft II release
-WoW Cataclysm release
-both to huge success

Console gaming is looking to be in a pretty poor state at the moment

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
3D WILL BE common in three years, just like porches, condos, jet packs, and butlers. All common in three years. Because hell, who can't afford to replace a $2,500-$5000 TV on a tech whim? Joe six-pack is just made of money, so obviously Joe six-pack will want whatever Microsoft tells him he'll want, thus making 3D, clearly the next hugely orgasmic breakthrough in entertainment technology a commonplace thing in three years.

For god's sake who doesn't light their Cubans with $100 bills these days?

Also, 3D is SO not a gimmick.... yeah...

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
Has anybody actually met someone who thinks either Kinect or 3D gaming/cinema is a good idea? I mean I've seen them online like commenting on youtube videos, but I literally don't know anyone who's said anything positive on either 3D gaming/cinema or Kinect.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
At least Microsoft are waiting to see if it becomes successful.

and i wish everyone would should up about kinect, your bashing something before it comes out, expecting it to fail.

i would laugh if Kinect was acctualy successful.

Treblaine said:
-Starcraft II release
-WoW Cataclysm release
-both to huge success

Yeh and PC gaming isn't a bit under the weather is it? PC gaming is acctualy the best thing ever! no problems at all!
/sarcasm

Pirating also happens on PC no excuse. The piracy issue has been dealt with, anyone who play's Halo Reach online before the release date is getting permanently banned. and saying the Xbox 360 is unreliable is getting pretty old now, we have known since 2005.

And yey, 2 games will make the PC better than consoles wont it? have you seen the Console titles coming up lately?

im sorry but most of the problems you listed also affect the PC.

Both machines are doing just fine (well ish) neither are doing better than each other.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, Kinect won't give Microsoft another 5 years. No way. However, I would imagine that the "other machine" is most likely their back up plan in case Kinect fails: pull a Wii and make motion controls the centre of the machine.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
3D common in three?! Kinect to last five years?!?! 3D will last half of that before it fades away, and Kinect's line up of games is needless to say, shit. It could get better, granted, but it doesn't change the fact that this man is talking through his asshole.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Chunko said:
3D gives me a headache. Why does everyone like it so much?
You're walking around with a constant headache unless you close one of your eyes? I'd have that looked at, if I were you. :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Microsoft: the land of dreamers.

I'd rather a console powerful enough to push a 1080p resolution instead of having to run every game at 720p or lower.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
arc1991 said:
At least Microsoft are waiting to see if it becomes successful.

and i wish everyone would should up about kinect, your bashing something before it comes out, expecting it to fail.

i would laugh if Kinect was acctualy successful.

Treblaine said:
-Starcraft II release
-WoW Cataclysm release
-both to huge success

Yeh and PC gaming isn't a bit under the weather is it? PC gaming is acctualy the best thing ever! no problems at all!
/sarcasm

Pirating also happens on PC no excuse. The piracy issue has been dealt with, anyone who play's Halo Reach online before the release date is getting permanently banned. and saying the Xbox 360 is unreliable is getting pretty old now, we have known since 2005.

And yey, 2 games will make the PC better than consoles wont it? have you seen the Console titles coming up lately?

im sorry but most of the problems you listed also affect the PC.

Both machines are doing just fine (well ish) neither are doing better than each other.
yeah, what great exclusive games are coming up for xbox 360?

-Halo Reach
-err...
-...that's it

PC will soon have:
-Civilisation V
-Star Wars: Old Republic

If any platform is guilty of depending on one exclusive to its relevance it is Xbox 360 and their singular decent First party development every year. Halo one year, Gears another year.

My point about piracy is there is nothing special about consoles. In many ways they are MORE vulnerable as the entire console model is not about luring customers in, but LOCKING them into a walled garden of controlled and exploitative prices.

Sinclose said:
click on the name "sinclose" to see my case for why Microsoft's response is the WORST response
Microsoft's response is to close the stable door once the horse has bolted.

The piracy issue has NOT been "dealt with" it has only made it WORSE! Banning them from Xbox Live does dick all to stop them pirating, instead it leaves piracy as their ONLY option. This ban was not for people who HAVE pirated Halo Reach, but just because they have a modded console meaning they simply COULD!

Now no new games will work with those Xbox 360 consoles (no more updates) so they are forced to resort to custom firmware updates and copied games to work with those custom firmware.

Piracy has been spanked on PC by "carrot" not "stick".

Give so many advantages to the legitimate version that it becomes more trouble than it is worth trying to get it to work on pirate versions. Like the endless Team Fortress 2 weapons updates, L4D2's weekly "mutation", such robust game support across multiple platforms, Steam sales (oh wow those sales) and bundles that are irresistible and at the same time you don't want to jeopardise by hacking your steam client. Ubisoft has abandoned their ridiculous DRM after a remarkably short time.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Sir Moomin said:
5 years!! games are allready very close to the bar on the 360 now.
i want to see more enemies on the screen faster load times and smoother controls 3d just hurts my eyes :(
Microsoft's Response: No! We want you to dance in front of our Kinect. Dance! Dance, Monkey!!! [initiate evil laugh]

Unfortunately for us, Microsoft is banking on Kinect likely from lack of creativity on how to otherwise expand the 360 console. After having the 360 for quite a while and picking up a PS3 last year, I feel as though the 360 riding on speed bumps as the PS3 picks up its pace for the future.Personally, I would rather see more new IPs and other news reason to invest further in the console I already have instead of buying a $150 attachment for weaker performance and vacuous games.

As for 3D...
Icehearted said:
Excellently stated, who in their right mind and in this global economic status is going to dump money into an expensive and new technology like 3D so early?

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
Does anyone see the size of the room in the picture in the article? Or the amount of space cleared out? I don't have that big of a place to play games, and I don't think that the makers of Kinect understand exactly what's going on here. Motion controls on the whole may be a big boost to getting more poeple into gaming, since it has a fairly easy to understand control scheme, but is it really bringing us the future of gaming, or is it a shallow, sparkly-thing that will only take our eyes away from core gaming for a little while? I don't think the 360 has five years in it with Kinect unless they manage to create a new type of gaming experience, and while that seems to be possible, it doesn't look like what they're going for.