Microsoft Launching "Ultimate Game Sale" Next Week

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Microsoft Launching "Ultimate Game Sale" Next Week

Microsoft will be initiating a week long sale on select digital titles available through the Xbox Live Marketplace next week.

Videogames. We love them to do death but darn if they aren't expensive. Sincerely, go and take a look at your gaming collection and just take a few minutes to count up how much you've spent on games over the years. If the number doesn't leave you feeling at least a little bit queasy, then kudos to you for having the self control the rest of us are clearly lacking.

Thankfully, even though games can cost a pretty penny, there are occasional respites from the wallet shattering expenses of being a gamer. Steam sales, GOG sales, used games, burglary; these are just a few of the options gamers can take advantage of to lighten the financial burden of being a gamer. Hoping to get in on the bargain game, Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb is asking gamers to prepare for the "Ultimate Game Sale" which will kick off next week on the Xbox Live Marketplace. The games involved in the sale, a mix of old and newer titles, include:

Assassin's Creed 3
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Bulletstorm
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Crysis
Crysis 3
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Dragon Age Origins
Far Cry 3
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Forza Horizon
Gears Judgement
Hasbro Family Game Night 3
Hitman Absolution
Kinect Sports 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes
Lego Lord of the Rings
Mass Effect
Max Payne 3
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
Monopoly Streets
Perfect Dark Zero
Prey
Rockstar Table Tennis
The Orange Box
Tomb Raider
Witcher 2
WWE 13 GonD
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
According to Hryb the sale will occur in shifts with different groups of games going on sale at different times. "While I don't know exactly what will be on sale when or for how much, I'll tweet out details and make a blog post each time a new groups of titles goes on sale," he said. While it's kind of disappointing to have no details as to possible price points, the list has some decent
titles on it and Xbox 360 owners would do well to watch the sale as it unfolds.

Source: <a href=http://majornelson.com/2013/06/28/xbox-live-ultimate-game-sale-preview>Major Nelson

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
That's a weird mix of games, ranging from launch titles to fairly recent stuff. I'd also say that it is far from 'ultimate', it's like calling a birthday party magician the ultimate illusionist. Valve should blow them out of the water by putting the same games on sale with larger discounts :p

Diablo1099 said:
When was the last "Big" Xbox Live sale anyway? Did they have one before now?
They had the Xbox Live Summer Arcade thingamajig a few years ago. That's all I seem to remember.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
So sad, every one of the games I might be interested in are ones I already own on PC. I doubt they will be marking them down low enough to make me want to own them on XBox 360 as well.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Well if the games in that list is anything to go by, this "sale" won't be anything too special.

Microsoft also seems like the kind of company that considers anything more than 30% off as a little gratuitous.
I remember all the years I owned an Xbox, where I'd get excited to see the deals they would have during the Christmas holidays...I think I saw a 10% voucher for something once.

There are a couple of more recent titles there, but it's far from what I would be calling an "ultimate game sale".

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Seems like Microsoft took away that people like Steam for their sales and are trying to emulate them. Which I'm fine with! I have no trust or faith in Microsoft, but they at least seem to be trying which is better than their previous policy of "Fuck you, give me money."

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
MFW it's probably like 30% off. I love my 360 but I'll stick to Steam sales for now.

DVS BSTrD said:
Just wait a month and get them cheeper on the PSN :p
Or get it for even less right now on Steam. Also it's spelt "Cheaper".;)

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Well, they won't hold a candle to Steam's Summer Sales but at least they can give Origin a run for its money.....

Ok that's in equal achievement with winning a beauty contest with Susan Boyle but still!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Some very good options, but considering that the digital prices are all way too high anyway, they'd need a significant drop to actually be considered a good sale.

Gears of War Judgement for example is currently £49.99. It was £39.99 brand new off of Amazon at release, and is currently selling at £24.95, half the price of the digital version from Xbox Live.

So unless they reduce it by more than 50% it can hardly be called a "sale".

Some other examples:

XCom: Enemy Unknown = £49.99 on Xbox or £22.99 from Amazon.
Assassins Creed 3 = £24.99 on Xbox (surprising) or £19.99 from Amazon.
Far Cry 3 = £24.99 on Xbox (surprising) or £22.47 from Amazon.

That's kind of odd. That Xcom is so high considering it is the oldest of the four.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Some of those might be worth getting but Perfect Dark Zero, seriously? It came out in 2005 and was disappointing even back then. Unless the sale price is £1.99 I can't see many people picking up that little "bargain"

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That is an interesting (?) mix. Good to see you compete against pns but I feel I have to point out xcom is currently free for pns plus subscribers, so it's going to be fun to see how you beat that.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Be still my beating heart.

As others have already said, the ones on that list I'm interested in I can get for the PC either for less, or just with better graphics/controls.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Sooooo it's going to be up to 5, maybe 6% off those titles, isn't it?
Oh Microsoft, you're so generous.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a GOG.com summer sale to indulge in.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Diablo1099 said:
When was the last "Big" Xbox Live sale anyway? Did they have one before now?
They had one earlier this year.Kinda surprised they're having another one so soon.The last one wasn't too bad.Sure most of the newer titles weren't reduced by that much but I did get Max Payne 3 for ?5 as well as a couple of older games for ?3 each

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's funny they are having this sale now when the xbone will be out in a few months and none of those games will transfer over.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Too bad they're mostly putting big AAA's on sale.
IMO most people who have probably wanted to play those have already played it.