Microsoft May Be Bringing More of Your Xbox Games to Windows 10

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft May Be Bringing More of Your Xbox Games to Windows 10

Ahead of the Microsoft E3 presser, there are signs that Microsoft may be bringing more Xbox games to Windows 10.

Ever since Windows 10 launched, Microsoft has been talking up the idea of bringing Windows and Xbox closer together. This morning, we're seeing signs that they might be doing just that. Apparently Xbox One games have begun showing up in the Windows 10 libraries of Xbox One owners.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Aeyoun/status/742323344125628416]

A tipster told Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11920384/xbox-one-windows-10-cross-buy] that "Each game has a store page listing Windows 10 as a system requirement and list them as 'Currently unavailable' when I click the 'Install' button." Apparently the listings include games and DLC bought on the Xbox Store.

If this isn't a glitch or an error, it could mean that Microsoft is planning to announce an expansion of their cross-buy initiative at the press conference today. It would be similar to the launch of Quantum Break, when buying that game on the Xbox One gave you access on Windows 10 as well.

We'll find out exactly what Microsoft has in store at their press conference today at 9:30 AM PT / 12:30 PM ET.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
This is the type of thing that can get Microsoft good press for the Windows Store.

I own a Xbox One and if every game I buy for that gets me the PC version as well....then damn it they might just have sold me on Windows 10 at last.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If this is legit and not a mistake of some sort, the real news here is that Halo 5: Guardians is on the list, particularly since it was confirmed just two days ago that game is not coming to PC.

P.S. Thanks

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Didn't we all see this coming when they came out with that new BS Windows store that's doing everything it can to take over and control PC gaming?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
votemarvel said:
This is the type of thing that can get Microsoft good press for the Windows Store.
Not really, for all the hype the Windows Store is still Games For Windows Live but slightly worse.

It might take a few years for people to become immune to the hype again, but it's already at the point for many that a release on the Win 10 store is essentially the same as no release at all. I can't see Microsoft changing that either, Steam and GoG are too ubiquitous whilst .uwp is too obtuse and restrictive against .exe.

Although I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to try making .exe files unusable on Win 11 when that rolls around.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ya know, I find myself neglecting my xbox friends as I am on my PC more. But if I could be in an Xbox party through my PC that would be cool, so I can atleast chat as I'm playing my steam games. Don't know if that's something I can already do or not.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:
Ya know, I find myself neglecting my xbox friends as I am on my PC more. But if I could be in an Xbox party through my PC that would be cool, so I can atleast chat as I'm playing my steam games. Don't know if that's something I can already do or not.
Do you mean voice chat or text chat? I could be wrong but doesn't the xbox have a skype app? You could use that to talk cross platform.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
How about you stop the bullshit with UWP and restricting key features of PC gaming then we will talk Microsoft.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
fix-the-spade said:
Not really, for all the hype the Windows Store is still Games For Windows Live but slightly worse.

It might take a few years for people to become immune to the hype again, but it's already at the point for many that a release on the Win 10 store is essentially the same as no release at all. I can't see Microsoft changing that either, Steam and GoG are too ubiquitous whilst .uwp is too obtuse and restrictive against .exe.

Although I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to try making .exe files unusable on Win 11 when that rolls around.
Personally speaking the only problem I ever had with GFWL was the issue where Gears of War 'expired' and couldn't be played. Something they quickly patched.

I was close to 100% in Arkham City when it transitioned to Steam without my permission. Saves weren't compatible and that meant I had to restart

But I digress, back to the original point. It can get them good press, especially with the cross-buy system with the One. Why wouldn't I pay once and get the game twice, especially since I can then give away or sell the console version at a later time. I'm not tied to Steam like so many seem to be.

Which to go off point again is something I find funny. People don't want Microsoft to lock them into one system with PC gaming but they are willing to do it to themselves with Steam.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Covarr said:
If this is legit and not a mistake of some sort, the real news here is that Halo 5: Guardians is on the list, particularly since it was confirmed just two days ago that game is not coming to PC.
At this point if you believe what Microsoft says, you're beyond help.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Too bad none of these games will be playable because they are using Windows store and UWPs which means it should be burned with fire before it multiplies.