Microsoft: Natal Won't Divert Core Gamer Focus

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft: Natal Won't Divert Core Gamer Focus

Microsoft doesn't think Project Natal will change its support for core gamers; it just wants to make money off of casual gamers too.

The success of the Wii has caused some to say that Nintendo partially lost its focus on core gamers, mostly due to all of the money being made from those that are more casual. Microsoft's Natal could be considered a reaction to the success of the Wii, but the company doesn't want anyone to think that it'll lose its core focus after the device is released.

Chris Lewis, (deep breath) Vice President of Interactive Entertainment Business for Microsoft Europe, Middle East, and Africa (and let it out), recently spoke to MCV about the concern that Microsoft would forget about core gamers if Natal is a success. Lewis denies this as a possibility, saying that Natal will only form a second Xbox 360 user base.

"From the beginning, Xbox has always had a very deliberate strategy to focus on core gamers and then expand the market," he said. "Project Natal is meant to complement, not replace, the experiences on Xbox 360." Lewis believes Natal will be a way to bring the Xbox 360 to a different class of people than those that currently whomp on each other in Call of Duty, while still being able to "deliver quality core games that consistently exceed expectations."

Sony has said that the PlayStation 3 is only 25% into its lifespan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98687-Sony-CEO-Cant-Imagine-Future-of-PlayStation], and this apparently could be true for the Xbox 360 as well. Lewis' opinion is that the Xbox 360 has around five years of life left in it, with the possibility that Natal could push sales through the exosphere.

The Xbox 360 is in a position where Lewis' remarks could turn out to be true. Why not make money from both segments of the gaming population? More Xbox 360s in people's homes means bigger sales possibilities for more types of games. The big negative aspect of the Wii's success are the terrible mini-game collections and waggle-clones that literally almost make it impossible to find a good title when shopping for a new game. Even if Microsoft does retain its focus on core gamers, with half-a-decade left in the Xbox 360's lifespan isn't it possible that this could happen with software for Natal someday too?

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37863/MS-Natal-wont-hurt-our-core-focus]

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
As long as it isn't needed to play titles that normally would have nothing to do with Natal like adding motion control to say Gears of War and stuff like that, then I have nothing against it.

Because I plan on staying away from this, I have a Wii if I want to have fun with gimmicky games, and even then I usually just play Fire Emblem or Smash Bros.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
We'll see. I don't think Nintendo foresaw the freaking glut of shovelware, either.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Yah, I'll believe that... Can't wait to see MORE shovelware on the store shelves. From the 360 and PS3, and of course the WiiFail.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I will believe it when I see it

And it looks like that chick's leg is out of its socket in that picture.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Microsoft doesn't think Project Natal will change its support for core gamers"

Better tell the Fable Devs to take out the Natal parts then

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Well, if they say that, then 'core' games that are going to have Natal in them should have an option to use the standard controller, because as much as I like to use motion controllers, I won't feel like using them all the time to play a game. This is the same with people who either don't like moving or are on the move alot. (I am part of the latter.)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Prediction: Anti-Nintendo fanboys will now use this as evidence that Nintendo has abandoned their core gamers while simultaneously stating that Microsoft and Sony seek to establish a second player base. Even though that that was Nintendo's intentions all along. >.<

OT: I would say that the VP has a good head on his shoulders, but I have no way to know if he is telling the truth or lying through his teeth. It's not common for heads of companies to say things to mollify the tempestuous masses. Although I think the masses are choppy rather than stormy...

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
HA...it is Microsoft we're talking about here and without Bill gates to rationalize them they want all the MONEY bwah ha ha ha ha ha

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I don't understand why everyone are so negative about Natal. It has a lot of cool uses, even without being used as the primary controller. In any MP-shooter it can map your face, making your character in game talk when you talk. I am sure you can add the depth and 3D features like in that weird DS game. You don't need both hands on the controller at all times either, so I don't see what the problem is.
I will buy it if the finances allow it, and if I like how it works and what it is used for.
It might of course suck, but I think it will be cool.

But hey, I like the Wii as well, so guess I am crazy.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Inconsistancies Arise said:
Well, if they say that, then 'core' games that are going to have Natal in them should have an option to use the standard controller, because as much as I like to use motion controllers, I won't feel like using them all the time to play a game. This is the same with people who either don't like moving or are on the move alot. (I am part of the latter.)
Thats the one thing I love about the PS3 sixaxis, while its fun and good its not mandatory (except maybe in a small thing like turning a valve, no big deal. If it goes that way then natal would be ok.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
the funny thing about this is the consumers they are aiming this towards are the consumers that have a wii for this type of thing and it gives them what they want for a lower price.

sort of like opening up a starbucks in canada next to a tim hortons hoping to sell coffee...

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
LeonLethality said:
the funny thing about this is the consumers they are aiming this towards are the consumers that have a wii for this type of thing and it gives them what they want for a lower price.

sort of like opening up a starbucks in canada next to a tim hortons hoping to sell coffee...
This actually makes sense.
Wii's are cheap and do the casual "wave your arms around like a spaz" thing already, this device would have to be bought separate from an Xbox (more expensive than a Wii to begin with) so in order to get use out of it you will in theory already have to own an Xbox.

This will not increase sales of the Xbox, this will be a gimmick that sells a few thousand peices to a few peopl who already own an Xbox (an no Wii) and are willing to give it a shot for a handful of titles that will function better than a Wii, but will ultimately fail to register with enough people to be considered a victory for the system and company.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
I just think Natal is a gimmick, plain and simple. If you think the 10 + percent latency is a killer wait until you see how much system resources is starts sucking down. It won't be pretty which is going to severely limit its ability to be used in AAA titles and will kill cross platform titles where the 360 is already showing its hardware limitations as compared to the PS3. I would wager some independent developers out there come up with some awesome indie games but nothing in the blockbuster range. The same goes for Sony's ARC.

Jan 23, 2009
Lets just hope that the golden age of gaming is ahead of us, and that Natal fails miserably like the eyetoy did before it.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I can see what they mean, by saying that it won't affect the core audience seeing as you won't need it, but it will cause the Microsoft name to be associated with the same shit as Nintendo's. I.E., the same arm-flailing game over and over with varying levels of graphical fail. This will make it difficult to get anything good sold over the system, because one gem will inevitably be covered in a steaming pile of defecation (And what member of the Wii/Natal target audience would research what game to buy before going to a store? The analogy is nearly literal.)

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
If the "core gamer focus" doesn't net them more money, they'll forget about them in seconds.

I wouldn't make promises you can't keep Microsoft.

*now has horrible expectations for the Sony Arc controller* Stupid motion controls. >.<

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Nintendo have already Jaded me Sony, I'll believe you when it happens.