Microsoft: Natal Won't Divert Core Gamer Focus

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Tenmar said:
CORRODED SIN said:
Yah, I'll believe that... Can't wait to see MORE shovelware on the store shelves. From the 360 and PS3, and of course the WiiFail.
There will always be shovelware for all systems. Don't act like every console is exempt from having crappy titles published by crappy developers and just because you see the stinkers more than the success for certain consoles does not actually make the console crappy. It means the developers making the games for the console are crappy.

For god sakes we have gone through bible games, Too Human, generic sports release title that isn't madden or 2k sports. We've been through so many disappointments that even GT made a top 10 for the decade and I can say its a pretty good list.

In the end it comes down to either choosing to ignore those shovelware games and let them fall on their face like they deserve to. If they succeed then they weren't really shovelware and actually had good marketing and knew their demographic because you had to admit that even when we were kids we were someone's demographic. Granted for the early days of the games industry demographics were overall generic with the exception of Barbie and My little pony games.
I'm not denying it at all. The term "shovelware" came about because of the Wii. And there is a difference between unpopular and mediocre games made by developers trying to make a name for themselves, and games made to cash in on the casual games market through the Wii and other gimmicks.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
It won't work. The reason Wii does work is that it doesn't scare non-gamers. The wiimote is essentially the 25 year old NES controller. Someone who didn't grow up gaming and is just getting into it would be intimidated by the xbox or ps3 controllers.

Both the xbox and ps3 look like dorky sci fi props, and the xbox has the added bonus of sounding like a jet engine. The wii looks like a clock radio and it matches any tv setup.

Here is where it could work: gun game where you could use a real gun, or to make it kid friendly just point your finger and say bang. If they released something like Police 911 [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_911[/link] then I would buy a 360 for that.

Or how about a guitar tutorial game that watched you play the guitar and helped you learn, or a golf simulator that let you use a real club to improve your swing. There are lots of good possibilities but I suspect that MS will try to duplicate Wii and fail miserably.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Tenmar said:
CORRODED SIN said:
The term "shovelware" came about because of the Wii.

Umm you want to rethink that? I don't know about you but even when I was a kid or even a teenager growing up around video games there have been plenty of shovelware games for the computer and game consoles.

There were a ton of moon lander and primitive worms games on DOS computers and when windows 95 hit the market man did shovelware for games come out in droves.
Well the only time I've ever heard it was in reference for the Wii. Again, I'm not saying that it didn't exist for other platforms, but the WORD I have only heard used with the Wii and it's software.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Sony has said that the PlayStation 3 is only 25% into its lifespan, and this apparently could be true for the Xbox 360 as well.
It sounds like Microsoft is copying off of Sony's test here.

To be honest, I think that Natal WILL lead to divert core gamers from it because Microsoft is built upon the idea of making money, because what does it take to whomp fellow X360 owners online? At least a $100 wireless adapter with a subscription to the Xbox Live services. Plus they've released a system with the sniffles, and those sniffles lead to the system dying a lot. I believe the number of X360s that crash is about 40% total of them?

I may be biased, but Sony's the best person for motion controls right now. They A) Keep their controller, a thing which I admit personally I'm not ready to say goodbye to. B)They're known for their hardcore titles. God of War franchise? Plus C)Don't change too much to make money for that reason, and only tack on extras to their already existing frame. Plus if you think about it, while the PS3s were overpriced, it was because they spent the money to make sure it A)Worked and B)contained top of the line hardware. Plus they gave it wireless connection, PLUS made accounts free to get. So someday I might own a Sony motion control system

Nintendo is going to beast the next gen (if this next one isn't a gen and a half, since if these systems are only 25% through their lives, we've got their kids coming out during the teen years) because they always stay a step ahead of people (mostly) and will probably go back to a more core gamer system, bringing out stronger titles and using their Wii money to pack in extras on the system and buy new franchises or bring old friends back. So while Sony and Microsoft continue their show-down, Nintendo will be stealing all the saloon women and bringing them home.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Hey remember back when this seemed like a good idea? Before people thought about what it would take to actually play a game using this?

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I can't think of a single game I'd like to play using Natal. RPGs? Nope. Shooters? Nope. Fighters? NOPE. Cutesy mario-style sports simulators? Kindly cram them up your arse.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I really don't see the appeal for Natal, whatever Sony is doing, or the Wii. Gimmicks are just that, gimmicks. Count me out for sure.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Y'know you can please some of the people some of the time...

But I don't think that Microsoft can manage to please all the the people all of the time.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ok here is how the focus of natal will go. Huge launch, followed by some shovelware, then it slowly fades away when it turns out nobody cares

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
If the "core gamer focus" doesn't net them more money, they'll forget about them in seconds.

I wouldn't make promises you can't keep Microsoft.

*now has horrible expectations for the Sony Arc controller* Stupid motion controls. >.<
Yeah I totally agree. Once they get the filthy taste of casual money, they'll completely forget about the core market just like Nintendo did. I'm hoping Sony remain a little more realistic.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Im tired of the crappy Wii type games. I would rather play a story game like uncharted or heavy rain type game while using both a controller and motion control.

I think a couple of years after the xbox and sony motion products are released some really kick ass games should come out.

or maybe something like silent hill ish where you gota use the motion controller as a flashlight, or whatever in in your character's hand. iduno i think that be cool..

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
CheckD3 said:
Tom Goldman said:
Sony has said that the PlayStation 3 is only 25% into its lifespan, and this apparently could be true for the Xbox 360 as well.
It sounds like Microsoft is copying off of Sony's test here.

To be honest, I think that Natal WILL lead to divert core gamers from it because Microsoft is built upon the idea of making money, because what does it take to whomp fellow X360 owners online? At least a $100 wireless adapter with a subscription to the Xbox Live services. Plus they've released a system with the sniffles, and those sniffles lead to the system dying a lot. I believe the number of X360s that crash is about 40% total of them?

I may be biased, but Sony's the best person for motion controls right now. They A) Keep their controller, a thing which I admit personally I'm not ready to say goodbye to. B)They're known for their hardcore titles. God of War franchise? Plus C)Don't change too much to make money for that reason, and only tack on extras to their already existing frame. Plus if you think about it, while the PS3s were overpriced, it was because they spent the money to make sure it A)Worked and B)contained top of the line hardware. Plus they gave it wireless connection, PLUS made accounts free to get. So someday I might own a Sony motion control system

Nintendo is going to beast the next gen (if this next one isn't a gen and a half, since if these systems are only 25% through their lives, we've got their kids coming out during the teen years) because they always stay a step ahead of people (mostly) and will probably go back to a more core gamer system, bringing out stronger titles and using their Wii money to pack in extras on the system and buy new franchises or bring old friends back. So while Sony and Microsoft continue their show-down, Nintendo will be stealing all the saloon women and bringing them home.
I agree with most of what you said. but soon Nintendo will be in last place. why?

xbox and the ps3 are now even closer in price with the Wii.
Sales in the Wii are are slowly dropping
and once natal and the Sony motion controller comes out the Wii will be worthless. nobody will be dishing out the money for just motion controller when they can buy an Xbox or a ps3 that plays awesome "normal" games and motion controller games whose graphics will be stellar.

EDIT: here is a little of what im looking foward 2,
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066855p1.html

Njaard

Sep 17, 2009
I'm really laughing quite hard about how narrowminded people on this forum are; Nintendo are releasing their hardcore AAA titles at the same pace that they always have, they've only split their focus a bit now. In stead of releasing one hardcore title a year like they used to they're now releasing one to two hardcore titles per year plus a casual game a year. Gamers simply complain because Nintendo because they're widening their borders, and 3rd party developers that have no association with Nintendo other than developing for the big N's console releasing shovelware to cash in. Don't hate Nintendo, hate the people abusing their console.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Njaard said:
Don't hate Nintendo, hate the people abusing their console.
I remember when Nintendo had a seal of quality on every single game that was released for their systems, do they still have that? If they do it means they are allowing poorly made products to damage the reputation of their system so I think most people can be somewhat justified in voicing their displeasure for Nintendos current business practice.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Flying Wii remotes...

Will there be a warning to not round house your HDTV when playing the New Chuck Norris destroys the world game?

You know it's gonna happen...

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Da_Schwartz said:
Can't we all just sit on the couch, push buttons, and get along?
Ha.

No one seems to be mentioning the Natal 'interaction' video. That seems to have dropped off the radar, maybe because it was a little unbelievable.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It makes sense. The 360's already got a huge user-base (and God knows how much they make off of LIVE subscriptions) so you'd have to be a complete f*cking moron to let that slip.

The Wii never had that fan-base already, and most core gamers feel alienated by it. Especially after the novelty of playing golf wore off (which it doesn't seem to for general non-gamers-until-the-Wii).

"The success of the Wii has caused some to say that Nintendo partially lost its focus on core gamers".

Understatement of the day. Although it is only 11 in the morning.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
I remember when Nintendo had a seal of quality on every single game that was released for their systems, do they still have that? If they do it means they are allowing poorly made products to damage the reputation of their system so I think most people can be somewhat justified in voicing their displeasure for Nintendos current business practice.
A lot of trash was released with that seal on the front, take it from someone who owned, loved and still has fond memories of his NES and SNES.

Personally I won't be getting natal. Motion control is not how I want to game. The controller has all the precision I want (except for SFIV, I have a fight pad for that).

I don't need to exercise while playing games. I do plenty of real physical activity with real people instead.