Microsoft: Natal Won't Divert Core Gamer Focus

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Nurb said:
"Microsoft doesn't think Project Natal will change its support for core gamers"

Better tell the Fable Devs to take out the Natal parts then
As long as Natal interaction is optional I'll be fine. Is it mandatory on the other hand, Natal better be the equivalent to the secong freakin' coming to jusify it.

I believe Microsoft when they say that they'll keep both consumer groups, because who would say no to more money?

And using Natal to browse the dashboard would be cool.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Nurb said:

The fable team just uses natal cause Peter probably gets money from the natal sale...
That greedy b*stard....

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Xzi said:
Nurb said:

Lol you think Fable was for "core" gamers to begin with?
Well yes, maybe not to you, but the casual gamer market would never touch an RPG, nevermind that it's simple.

These are people who spend their time playing Wii sports.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
When the developers on Gears of War AND Halo tell you they don't want to use Natal, its safe to assume "core" titles for the 360 are safe enough.

Off the top of my head, the only Wii game with motion heavy controls that made the game more immersive was Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Wait a minute.

Tom Goldman said:
...and this apparently could be true for the Xbox 360 as well.

The Xbox 360 is in a position where Lewis' remarks could turn out to be true.
But, just 8 days ago the story was thus:

Tom Goldman said:
Motion gaming jabs aside, it remains to be seen whether the PlayStation 3 can actually hold up for a full 10 years. Microsoft is sure to come out with another product so it can put the debacle of the extremely defective Xbox 360 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93943-Xbox-360s-Death-Rate-is-54-2] behind it, though we're at the point where a company can't just come out with a new machine that doubles the amount of "bits" to get people to buy it.
What changed in that week?

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Yes, well. Just look at that picture. How many "gamers" that you know can do that?

I certainly can't. And I won't try, either.

So I guess that's your answer. We won't bite, so as long as Microsoft don't try and make us, we'll get along fine.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Sorry M$, I call bullshit. See you have a limited number of resources (we'll call that X) dedicated right now towards "hardcore" (cough cough 12 year olds playing the same shooters with different skins 90% of the time and a good game here or there) game production and no resources at present dedicated towards "casual gamers" (Your mum, your dad and your 20 something sister). We'll call those resources (or at present, lack of them) Y.

X and Y are drawn from the same pool of resources, which is M$'s net profit. We'll call that $.
We assume $ is not infinite (since by definition it can't be). Just to better illustrate the point we'll divide cash up into arbitrary units. Let's say that M$ has 100 units of $ at their disposal.
Further, we have to assume the following is true:

100$ = X + Y

Since Y was effectively set at 0 until Natal development began, the following must also be true:
X>Y
If Y=0 then X=100$

Now from that same resource pool ($100) M$ is claiming they'll increase Y without effecting X.

If Y>0$ then X<100$

It could be as little as Y=1$ and X=$99, but their claim is inconsistent as any resources added to casual gaming (Y) must be taken from their available resources($) which means that hardcore game development funds (X) must be decreased.

P.S. I like word problems and I've just had my second cup of coffee. I could have explained it better or differently, but I didn't. So what?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
Njaard said:
Don't hate Nintendo, hate the people abusing their console.
I remember when Nintendo had a seal of quality on every single game that was released for their systems, do they still have that? If they do it means they are allowing poorly made products to damage the reputation of their system so I think most people can be somewhat justified in voicing their displeasure for Nintendos current business practice.
The Nintendo Seal of Quality never meant that the game was good. What it was meant to say was that the cartridge was up to scratch and the game will run as it should without doing any damage to your system. It was made to put an end to faulty cartridges that could do irreparable harm to the system as well as establish some kind of regulation for companies to adhere to, something that was severely lacking in the days of the Atari 2600 and Intellivision.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
mrx19869 said:
I agree with most of what you said. but soon Nintendo will be in last place. why?

xbox and the ps3 are now even closer in price with the Wii.
Sales in the Wii are are slowly dropping
and once natal and the Sony motion controller comes out the Wii will be worthless. nobody will be dishing out the money for just motion controller when they can buy an Xbox or a ps3 that plays awesome "normal" games and motion controller games whose graphics will be stellar
Doubtfully. Sales in the Wii are slowly dropping because everyone's got one already. So why would the core demographic of Wii gamers switch to 360 or PS3? They've already got one console, there's no need for another, especially when you're not interested in (what you call) "normal" games.

OT: Looking how Nintendo is hated now all over the world, I'd say the same if I was in Microsoft's position.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Basically, it's a case of all the people making shovelware on the Wii can now port their "games" to the 360 and PS3 quicker and easier than before.

If anything is going to create The Second Great Games Crash, it's going to be shovelware encouraged by motion controls.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nurb said:

Yeah...Peter Molyneux needs a new memo...I hope they give us option to play without Natal...I really do.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
mrx19869 said:
I agree with most of what you said. but soon Nintendo will be in last place. why?

and once natal and the Sony motion controller comes out the Wii will be worthless. nobody will be dishing out the money for just motion controller when they can buy an Xbox or a ps3 that plays awesome "normal" games and motion controller games whose graphics will be stellar.

EDIT: here is a little of what im looking foward 2,
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066855p1.html
I have to disagree, there are a lot of loyal Nintendo fans who will buy or still buy Wii games because of the lineup they have. Plus, being that's it been out the longest, a lot of people may still stick with it to be safe. Though Sony's got the leg up if Natal is anything like X360 and has major problems working right.

Remember though, Natal and Sony's motion controls aren't out till at least fall if I'm not mistaken, and we still have E3 to hear from Nintendo, who've had an entire year to work out a way to gain popularity after Natal and Sony's motion controls. Nintendo has survived as long as it has because it has a strong core fan that follow Nintendo even when they name it the Wii a would still follow if they bungied off a cliff. They also tend to go more creatively sometimes rather than stick with the Sony way of buisness, i.e. replace the last models parts with more current ones, giving it a new paint job, beefing it up , ect.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
mrx19869 said:

and once natal and the Sony motion controller comes out the Wii will be worthless. nobody will be dishing out the money for just motion controller when they can buy an Xbox or a ps3 that plays awesome "normal" games and motion controller games whose graphics will be stellar.

EDIT: here is a little of what im looking foward 2,
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066855p1.html
I know others have already taken a crack at this post, but I'm replying anyway.

To be blunt, that ain't gonna happen. Wii's success is mostly based on brand recognition and a cheaper price. A Wii is currently $200, and that includes a game and the motion controller. 360's are also $200, but that's just for the 360 alone. Natal will be $50 minimum and most games that will support it will be in the $40-60 price range, which will put it over $100 more than a Wii for all the same things. It also doesn't help Microsoft that Nintendo has established their systems as consoles that appeal to everyone while they've set up their system as one for the more dedicated fans. The average joe (who largely doesn't care about the definition of "real games" or graphics to begin with) won't be buying a 360 and Natal when they could get essentially the same thing with the Wii for much cheaper. Parents won't buy a 360 for their kids for the same reasons.

Also, I kinda find it ironic that you're looking forward to a PS3 game that was originally planned to be a Wii-exclusive and is going to support a controller that is similar to a Wii Remote in more than a few ways.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
We'll see. I don't think Nintendo foresaw the freaking glut of shovelware, either.
And they couldn't have said NO? They couldn't grow a pair and say "you know what? This game is not for us!" And this is not directed just at the big N either. All three should have a Q & A team to try these new games before they launch. And if they are crap then they don't get launched until they are up to par.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Xzi said:
Nurb said:

Lol you think Fable was for "core" gamers to begin with? It's a simplistic linear RPG. Natal might be the only thing which can make it decent. And if Fable 3 falls flat on its face anyway, then it will just be continuing the norm for the series.
They ment the core audience, the existing owners of 360, they didn't mean "Hardcore gamers" who seem to think being hardcore means not playing halo and WoW. They want to steal some of the marketshare away from Nintendo.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
But what if Natal expands to some core games, I was actually looking forward to see some of the innovations game companies like Valve bring to the table with Natal. I thought I remembered reading an article here about Valve's hopes for the Natal a while back.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Njaard said:
I'm really laughing quite hard about how narrowminded people on this forum are; Nintendo are releasing their hardcore AAA titles at the same pace that they always have, they've only split their focus a bit now. In stead of releasing one hardcore title a year like they used to they're now releasing one to two hardcore titles per year plus a casual game a year. Gamers simply complain because Nintendo because they're widening their borders, and 3rd party developers that have no association with Nintendo other than developing for the big N's console releasing shovelware to cash in. Don't hate Nintendo, hate the people abusing their console.
still, because the wii is so much weaker than xbawks and ps3, that means most 3rd party devs make cool games that use the power of them, and they simply cannot run on the wii without looking like shite.
the lack of power at the expense of mostly shovelware IS reason to hate on the N

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
So they're serious about copying Nintendo's gimmicks from back in the NES/SNES days? You know, they were trying so fucking hard to innovate control schemes with things ranging from the PowerForce to the Konami Headscope (or w/e).

I say history will repeat itself. Can't people just... Set 1 fixed norm for all consoles and make them compatible with all of them and stop trying to fail at new control schemes?

Njaard

Sep 17, 2009
MR T3D said:
Njaard said:
I'm really laughing quite hard about how narrowminded people on this forum are; Nintendo are releasing their hardcore AAA titles at the same pace that they always have, they've only split their focus a bit now. In stead of releasing one hardcore title a year like they used to they're now releasing one to two hardcore titles per year plus a casual game a year. Gamers simply complain because Nintendo because they're widening their borders, and 3rd party developers that have no association with Nintendo other than developing for the big N's console releasing shovelware to cash in. Don't hate Nintendo, hate the people abusing their console.
still, because the wii is so much weaker than xbawks and ps3, that means most 3rd party devs make cool games that use the power of them, and they simply cannot run on the wii without looking like shite.
the lack of power at the expense of mostly shovelware IS reason to hate on the N
The only limitation of the Wii is graphical power. Graphical power does not make a game good; that's what gameplay and story are for. As stated, Nintendo can't take responsibility for what other people make for their console.