Microsoft Not Done With Master Chief

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft Not Done With Master Chief

Looks like Microsoft's going to be bringing everyone's favorite super space marine out of cryostasis in the near future, according to recent remarks.

Last time we checked in on the Master Chief at the end of Halo 3, he was floating around space having saved the universe again but at the cost of being doomed to float aimlessly through the nether regions of the universe, lost to humanity. "Wake me when you need me," the Spartan told his trusty AI sidekick Cortana as he stepped into biofreeze. Well, it sounds like Microsoft is going to be waking Master Chief some time in the future, because they need him. To make money.

"I doubt we have seen the last of Master Chief," Frank O'Connor, Halo franchise director, told USA Today.

Well, that's not surprising at all. I was hoping they'd leave The M.C. to float through space in dignity for the rest of his existence, but apparently franchise mascots die hard and ODST troops aren't nearly as iconic as everyone's favorite Spartan. Whether this means we'll be seeing him in sequels to Halo 3 or more Halo spinoffs is really anyone's guess, but Halo fans can rest assured that their messiah will come again.

Now, if only someone would say something about whether or not we'll ever see Sgt. Johnson [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Halo_characters#Avery_Johnson] again.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not going to lie. I was kinda of disappointed that the chief was hanging up his gloves, but now that their bringing him back, making an RTS, and a spin off it's kind of getting tired.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
i really hope they arent thinking of milking halo for more after osdt halo wars (playing right now BUNGIE FIX THE GOD DAMN THRID MISSION WHERE THEY RUSH BANSHEES)

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
lizards said:
i really hope they arent thinking of milking halo for more after osdt halo wars (playing right now BUNGIE FIX THE GOD DAMN THRID MISSION WHERE THEY RUSH BANSHEES)
Anti Aircraft my freind, makes that level a hell of a lot easier

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
lizards said:
Mask of 1000 Faces said:
They're never going to be done with MC. He's going to be squeezed to death just like Sonic.

*weary sigh*
They won't do a Sonic with the Master Chief, because with Halo Bungie and Microsoft have stated at various times that they have fleshed out a proper expanded universe and know exactly what they are doing. You still get logistical problems, of course (look at the Duke Nukem Forever style delays in the comic series Halo Uprising...), but the story of Halo has been stated as being a very much controlled thing and something that nobody at Bungie or Microsoft want to see outstay it's welcome. They'll keep releasing new content and media for Halo as long as they still have a story to tell and the fans keep on supporting the series, but the series isn't only about the Master Chief. With Halo Uprising, the lack of Master Chief was a major criticism of fans and critics alike, but the series has generally been praised for focusing on other characters outside the games (half the novels don't even include a mention of the Master Chief at all, and one doesn't even include any Spartans...). Basically, I think we're safe with Halo for now.

Keane Ng said:
Now if only someone would say something about whether or not we'll ever see Sgt. Johnson [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Halo_characters#Avery_Johnson] again.
Avery J. Johnson still has quite a bit of backstory to look at, but we saw a lot more about him in the prequel novel Contact Harvest, which keen-eyed fans will notice is set on the same planet as (albeit 6 years prior to) Halo Wars. It's hinted at, but never explicitly stated, that he was a Spartan in a project (Project Orion) designed to be a precursor to the Spartans that the Master Chief is a part of. That is, while the Master Chief is a Spartan-II, Sgt. Johnson is a Spartan-I. However, I agree that I'd quite like to see more of him in the future. More prequels maybe, after
his untimely death by Sparkey near the end of Halo 3.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
Master Chief: The teen years. It will be a tv show similar to Smallville.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Also, with the Master Chief and Cortana drifting to an unknown planet (according to the after credits bit on Legendary), there has been fan speculation that the planet may well be Onyx (a place featured heavily in the novel Ghosts of Onyx, set during the events of Halo 3). Have Bungie or Microsoft released any information yet regarding that?

Medic Heavy

Jul 4, 2008
*Looks at "Finish the Fight" poster

so?.....The fight isn't over?

I'm reallly, really confused right now.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Will Microsoft ever quit Master Chief? That's like asking will Microsoft stop printing money? As long as the MC is a cash cow for them, they are going to milk it dry.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
RavingPenguin said:
lizards said:
Anti Aircraft my freind, makes that level a hell of a lot easier
ya i completly forgot about whatever the hell they are called until last time i tried it NEXT MISSION

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
Good news in ways. I am keen to see what they will come up with and aslong as the games are good ill proberly buy them. theres nothing wrong with milking it just do it in the right way, if i start seeing halo kart wii poping up i will defo be leaving that in the shop where it should'nt get to.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
hes frozen...3 flashback prequels charting both the start of the war with the covenant & a how a mere grunt became masterchief. It will probably ignore every scrap of lore from the current trilogy; but since they'll be trying to bring the games to a new audience that doesnt matter.