Microsoft Offers Xbox Live Gold Refunds

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Offers Xbox Live Gold Refunds

Gamers who purchased an Xbox Live Gold subscription prior to yesterday's changes to the service can opt for a refund on the unused balance once the changes take effect.

Microsoft announced yesterday that Xbox Live Gold will no longer be required [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134487-Microsoft-Confirms-It-Wont-Reward-Early-Xbox-One-Adopters] to access Netflix, Hulu and various other streaming apps on the Xbox One and Xbox 360. Good news! Unless, of course, you happened to spring for a Gold subscription the day before yesterday in order to get your Netflix fix, in which case you might be feeling just slightly screwed.

But there's some good news on tap for you, too. Microsoft, apparently foreseeing this particular brand of trouble (or maybe just reacting to it with remarkable speed) will give you your money back if you want it.

"Once the Xbox One and Xbox 360 system updates become available in June, Xbox Live Gold members who purchased a paid membership before that day can cancel and receive a pro-rata refund of any unused remaining days between the date of cancellation and the date their paid Gold membership ends," the Xbox Live Gold Changes FAQ states. "Cancellation and pro-rata refund requests must be made by August 31, 2014 and require six to eight weeks for processing."

I'd call that a pretty fair handling of the situation, wouldn't you? Of course, free and trial Gold subscriptions aren't eligible for a refund, but that's okay since they didn't cost anything in the first place. So if you're an Xbox Live Gold member who's only in it for the sweet Netflix action, you can apply to get (some of) your money back after the system update goes live in June.

Source: Xbox Live Support [http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/my-account/xbox-live-membership/live-faq?icid=furl_livefaq]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Riddle me this, MS, if you got gold with a card from the store and ask for a refund, where does the money go?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
While more clarification is needed, especially in regards to pre-paid cards and the like (which are the best value way of getting live 99% of the time), it's nice to see MS trying to rapidly improve their service in the eyes of the consumer. It's a shame that GWG had to move to a PS+ model but it was practically inevitable in that big publishers wont agree to the old one nearly as easily.

That said, this extreme copying of Sony is a shame in some ways, I'd always rather see new & interesting ideas to just copying the direct competition.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Oh, this just reminded me to cancel my Xbox Gold subscription.
Same here. It's pretty much the only thing I use my 360 for now days since Netflix seems to crash my computer if played for an extended amount of time. Plus, laying in bed, with my desk across the room, I'd rather switch episodes with the controller than get up.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Well I guess next week it'll be sub games won't require Gold - rare it is I say called it but in this case sony and whipping Xbox into shape, all in all a healthy market is a changing market and all of this makes me quite happy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well ill be damned, finally something good to hear from microsoft here. This time they deserve it - thank you microsoft for this move even if it does not affect me personally (as i dont use Xbox live gold).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Classy move, not that I would refund seeing as I don't even own Netflix on my 360.