Microsoft Overpays Fired Workers, Asks For Refund

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Microsoft Overpays Fired Workers, Asks For Refund

When Microsoft laid off 1,400 employees earlier in the year, an administrative error resulted in some of the unlucky folks getting overly generous severance packages - and the company has asked them to please return it, if they wouldn't mind.

Copies of a letter that Microsoft sent to some former employees surfaced on the Internet this weekend. In the letter, the Redmond-based software giant blames an "inadvertent administrative error" for the overpayment, and requests that the affected ex-employees return the extra cash: "We ask that you repay the overpayment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to you."

Those who did not promptly return the money, the letter hinted, would find that the funds would be taken out via taxes instead. A Microsoft representative confirmed the letter's authenticity to CNET, but declined to comment further, calling it a "a private matter between the company and the affected people."

The phrase "adding insult to injury" comes to mind here, no? Ironically, the people responsible for said "administrative error" - and the entire PR snafu surrounding it - are the ones who weren't fired.

(Via CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10169119-75.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0])

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
God damn it, don't give it back people! Why the hell should you?! Microsoft's mistake, not their problem. Worst case scenario, spend it before they can take it back, what on Earth are they going to do?

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
God damn it, don't give it back people! Why the hell should you?! Microsoft's mistake, not their problem. Worst case scenario, spend it before they can take it back, what on Earth are they going to do?
They would hire you again lol.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Hah. That's pretty funny. Who cares if they're paid off in taxes, I'd much rather that than one huge installment. And think of the possibiliies! Any idea as to the magnitude of the oversum?

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Mr.Bubbles43 said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Rehire you, and dock your pay.

Why is microsoft even making such a big deal anyway? The company is huge. I doubt the amount given out was anymore than Bill Gates carries in his wallet anyway.

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
Nightfalke said:
Take it back in taxes?

How the hell could they do that?
I don't think I can. Last I checked, Microsoft isn't the government. Unless they just tipped their hand, and indeed they do own a branch or two of our legislation, including the I.R.S.

I wonder how much extra they got? I wouldn't even consider giving the money back.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Someone explain how microsoft can raise taxes, I didn't know microsoft could make the government do what it wanted them to! If the taxes thing doesn't work and they sue the people, then microsoft would lose money prosecuting.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I dobut it considering how much the government beats down on microsoft because they are the only ones who can

Headless Zombie

Feb 18, 2009
Sion_Barzahd said:
Mr.Bubbles43 said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Rehire you, and dock your pay.

Why is microsoft even making such a big deal anyway? The company is huge. I doubt the amount given out was anymore than Bill Gates carries in his wallet anyway.
He doesn't carry a wallet, he has someone for that

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
It's called being honest, people. If it was an error and you weren't supposed to get it, you should give it back. Wouldn't you go back to a store to get your money back if they overcharged you? What if they said, "Sorry, you gave us the money- it's ours now."

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
ironfist86 said:
Nightfalke said:
Take it back in taxes?

I don't think I can. Last I checked, Microsoft isn't the government. Unless they just tipped their hand, and indeed they do own a branch or two of our legislation, including the I.R.S.

I wonder how much extra they got? I wouldn't even consider giving the money back.
Well obviously, someone just spilled the secret. That's right folks, you heard it here first... MICROSOFT AND THE GOVERNMENT ARE THE SAME THING!!! Right? That or Microsoft is just being a bunch of dicks. Seriously, these people just lost their jobs, and now their being asked to give money to the people who shut off their source of income?

DarthHK

Jan 3, 2009
I'll play principles here.

Said laid off employees could possibly spend that money, circulating it into the economy, making an impact through purchases no matter how small. (That is what capitalism is based on, no?)

A big corporation like Microsoft on the other hand would probably use it to further fortify their massive empire, fearing that they will eventually collapse under their own weight. It's all relative.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
ironfist86 said:
Nightfalke said:
Take it back in taxes?

Microsoft controls the illuminati! Ohnoes!