Microsoft Patents "Gaming Helmet"

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I wish I was fucking kidding [http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/03/microsoft-invents-projector-eyewear-for-xbox-beyond.html]

Gaming Helmet. I have literally nothing to say about that, It is a joke in itself.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The people who love to throw around the term "console tard" are going to have a field day with this.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
but, with the blast shield down, how will I be able to fight anyone?!

I doubt this will go anywhere, could just be a "Lets do it, in case" kind of patent.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Hopefully it comes equip with motion controls. Imagine this: 3D-gaming with REAL LIFE HEADBUTTING ACTION!

I need to lay down.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
DustyDrB said:
The people who love to throw around the term "console tard" are going to have a field day with this.
Actually they can't anymore, MS copyrighted it as the name for this abomination.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Didn't Sega or Nintendo have like a "command helmet" or something in the past?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fappy said:
Hopefully it comes equip with motion controls. Imagine this: 3D-gaming with REAL LIFE HEADBUTTING ACTION!

I need to lay down.
And it shall be retroactively used throughout Mass Effect!

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Why all the hate for this? If it's successfully implemented (which I doubt it will be) then this thing would be absolutely awesome for immersion.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:
Fappy said:

I need to lay down.
And it shall be retroactively used throughout Mass Effect!

"I like this human! He understands!"

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
It's for XBox and not Nintendo so I guess there won't be an official Captain Falcon version :)

But seriously, I am totally in favour of Virtual Reality making a comeback in the next generation. The last time VR was a big thing was back in the 90s, but back then the graphics still sucked, screens in headsets were way too low-resolution, frame rates sucked, and helmets had to be bulky as hell.

Every single one of those problems can be fixed today, plus the kind of motion controls we have today can be put into head tracking for the extra immersion factor. And 3DTVs have established a standard for stereoscopic support in media players and game consoles. I say bring it on!

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
Hmm, for some reason I read "Minecraft Patents "Gaming Helmet"". I guess I need to improve my reading skills.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Have they given up on kinect already then? and unless this is dirt cheap I dont think they will have much success people generally dont like paying money to look stupid.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I dislike this idea. Mostly because I imagine they wouldn't make one to fit on my substantially sized noggin.

It's only that big because it's so full of dreams...

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
A helmet would need to be adjustable for size by consumers easily such as with screwdrivers. Due to comfort would need to be achieved from wearing the helmet for extreme 10-12 hrs. If they don't make sure to make it comfortable it will never be success no matter how great it could be.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
One step closer to the VR fantasy world of my dreams, a Fallout or Elder Scrolls world I can look around and pick things up with my hands, viewed in real time with my own eyes. Complete, absolute immersion as I turn and look up to see a dragon barreling down on top of me, or a Nightkin creeping up from behind with a minigun barrel already spinning.

If this works well I am going to have the time of my life, I can't believe anybody wouldn't want this! This is what I used to dream about back when I was playing Doom for the first time.