Microsoft Pulling Plug on In-Game Advertiser

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
647
0
21
Steve the Pocket said:
Meh, I don't mind stuff like sports games having logo signs in their stadiums or driving games having billboards. After all, that's how it is in real life, right? It might be a little jarring at first, but it contributes to the sense that it's taking place in the real world. It's more weird to see billboards for obvious fake products instead, unless it's like Grand Theft Auto where they get creative about it and make them jokes.
Indeed. If you're running around a city and see a billboard for Coke or Pepsi or whatever, you'll feel like they're trying for realism.

I think games set in modern cities should have billboard advertising, as well as radio or TV ads, if that applies, just to be authentic.

Also, they should have a default ad that is shown if there's no Net connection. This ad gets replaced if a Net connection is detected, and ad sellers can buy slots or whatever. However, I think that it should download the ad completely, not do any stupid streaming crap.

Granted, I think they should lower the price a little if we have to see the ads, but still...

Also, the best advertising is subtle. You're playing a game and in the cutscene, your character goes to the fridge, grabs a Coke, and drinks it while talking with someone else. It's not something that you really think about, but that Coke will stick in your subconscious and later on make you think, "If I want to be like him, I should drink Coke."
 

Deguasser

New member
Feb 18, 2009
463
0
0
Wait there was advertisements in games?

I know there are in Ubisoft games for other Ubisoft games, and burnout paradise has billboards that have advertising on it, but thats all that i've seen.
 

spartan1077

New member
Aug 24, 2010
3,222
0
0
Mercenaries two is still advertising Crank: High Voltage :/ but ya so I try to watch an IGN video on my xbox and I hae to watch a mazda ad. It should only be to silver members that get ads not the people who are paying 60 bucks every 13 months
 

Outright Villainy

New member
Jan 19, 2010
4,334
0
0
AdmiralMemo said:
Also, the best advertising is subtle. You're playing a game and in the cutscene, your character goes to the fridge, grabs a Coke, and drinks it while talking with someone else. It's not something that you really think about, but that Coke will stick in your subconscious and later on make you think, "If I want to be like him, I should drink Coke."
I'd find that incredibly jarring. I'd prefer a billboard, if I had to have any ad. Obvious product placement pissed me the hell off.
 

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
647
0
21
Outright Villainy said:
I'd find that incredibly jarring. I'd prefer a billboard, if I had to have any ad. Obvious product placement pissed me the hell off.
So, if he DOES get a drink, then what would you want him to be drinking? A white can marked "Soda" or "Beer"? Or some parody brand like "Joke"?
 

Outright Villainy

New member
Jan 19, 2010
4,334
0
0
AdmiralMemo said:
Outright Villainy said:
I'd find that incredibly jarring. I'd prefer a billboard, if I had to have any ad. Obvious product placement pissed me the hell off.
So, if he DOES get a drink, then what would you want him to be drinking? A white can marked "Soda" or "Beer"? Or some parody brand like "Joke"?
Well, if it's a serious game, it probably shouldn't be even distinguishable, given the shot. I don't think the character drinking requires a full on zoom. The Gta fake-o-brands can be amusing enough too in that context.
 

SelectivelyEvil13

New member
Jul 28, 2010
956
0
0
Outright Villainy said:
AdmiralMemo said:
Outright Villainy said:
I'd find that incredibly jarring. I'd prefer a billboard, if I had to have any ad. Obvious product placement pissed me the hell off.
So, if he DOES get a drink, then what would you want him to be drinking? A white can marked "Soda" or "Beer"? Or some parody brand like "Joke"?
Well, if it's a serious game, it probably shouldn't be even distinguishable, given the shot. I don't think the character drinking requires a full on zoom. The Gta fake-o-brands can be amusing enough too in that context.
Precisely, as there is a difference between conveying a sense of realism or familiarity and obtrusive advertising acting as an attention-starved child waving in the foreground. Even in films, it ruins the cinematography when, for example, a Sony Vaio money-shot is the primary focus rather than the serious discussion pertaining to the End of the World.

In-game ads are appropriate in some situations, especially sports titles where they would be in real life anyway.