Microsoft Pulling the Plug on Halo Wars Forums

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
MorteSphere said:
Turquoise sure is one ugly colour.

I don't even understand why they tried to make a Halo RTS. RTSes require a far longer attention span than most Halo fans have the ability to muster.
hey I find that offencive!
You sure are good at proving my point.

archvile93 said:
MorteSphere said:
Turquoise sure is one ugly colour.

I don't even understand why they tried to make a Halo RTS. RTSes require a far longer attention span than most Halo fans have the ability to muster.
It's probably because Halo was originally planned as an RTS.
But it turned out to be a shitty, repetitive shooter that started the insipid recharging health trend. This is why it would not make a good RTS, and why it would not market well to anybody who actually plays RTSes. Bungie would have been better off making an Action RPG or something of the sort.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Ahlycks said:
ThreeWords said:
Ahlycks said:
Jesus, i'm scared to join any forum other than this one because of how much of a cesspool the internet is.
Nice to see a healthy dose of xenophobia there. Paranoia keeps you ready for when they come for you.
I know!! Finally, someone who understands me and the voices in my head!
Sorry, I'm actually a more boring version of the voice in your head; the words in your eye. You are only imagining that you see me on screen

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
I actually read through all 13 pages of that thread, and I must've lost about 18 IQ points. These guys sure aren't doing much to dispel the Halo stereotype, that's for sure. And what the hell is the deal with Stat Tracking?

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
My official opinion? N/A, never played the game, probably won't either, so I honestly don't care one way or the other.

However, my sympathies to the people this affects. I mean, hey, you worked for whatever it is you got that they're screwing up, so bloody hell raise some, well, hell. An exclusive avi isn't enough in my opinion to lose your rank (unless that avi is your old rank)

Now, the personal stuff? Ugh... Halo... ~shudders~ Dun like the game, too many fanatics out there. If it wasn't such a hit and people weren't so, well... Zealot-like in their defense of the series or obsessed with claiming any FPS I personally like is inferior to it, I'd probably be willing to give it a shot. Not saying everyone's that way, but still, I've had enough run-in's with the fanatics -_-

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MorteSphere said:
But it turned out to be a shitty, repetitive shooter that started the insipid recharging health trend. This is why it would not make a good RTS, and why it would not market well to anybody who actually plays RTSes. Bungie would have been better off making an Action RPG or something of the sort.
Halo wouldn't have made a good RTS because it was instead made into a shooter which inspired the recharging health trend.

All dogs are mammals.
All cats are mammals.
All dogs are cats.

Now don't get me wrong. Halo Wars was not even close to a decent RTS game when you compare it to the wealth of stuff on the PC. The basic bones of an RTS though? They're there. Two distinct armies with a variety of different units and vehicles. It's got the potential to be good, if a decent dev got a hold of it. Hell, you could add the Flood in and grab a third army and get all the Starcraft comparisons going.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Amnestic said:
MorteSphere said:
Halo wouldn't have made a good RTS because it was instead made into a shooter which inspired the recharging health trend.

All dogs are mammals.
All cats are mammals.
All dogs are cats.

Now don't get me wrong. Halo Wars was not even close to a decent RTS game when you compare it to the wealth of stuff on the PC. The basic bones of an RTS though? They're there. Two distinct armies with a variety of different units and vehicles. It's got the potential to be good, if a decent dev got a hold of it. Hell, you could add the Flood in and grab a third army and get all the Starcraft comparisons going.
its just a pitty that they did not make it for pc.. without the redicoulously look im a lightbulb shineyness. or making the tanks look like plastics. i mean, seriously dudes, HALO. itsself. can brunt the processing power to make rediculous amounts of stuff buzz drive walk and run about and shoot at one another while being boarded explode impact the ground and w/e.
AND NOT LOOK LIKE A LEGO BRICK.
but anyway. on pc, you would have had a modding community. it might have actualy become prety good! XD

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
Amnestic said:
MorteSphere said:
That's not even what I said. Try harder, champ.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MorteSphere said:
Amnestic said:
MorteSphere said:
That's not even what I said. Try harder, champ.
All right, fellow. You said:
But it turned out to be a shitty, repetitive shooter that started the insipid recharging health trend. This is why it would not make a good RTS, and why it would not market well to anybody who actually plays RTSes.

One sentence ("shitty repetitive shooter" etc.) clearly leads on to the next ("This is why"). Your sentence structure quite clearly implies that the reason you think Halo wouldn't make a good RTS was because it was turned into an FPS you didn't like.

That is what you said. Exactly. Technically you should have used a semi-colon instead of a full stop after 'health trend', but regardless the meaning remains the same.

But okay, maybe I'm wrong. What did you mean, in the context of that exact paragraph which I quoted?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
MorteSphere said:
HALO WARS wouldn't have been a successful RTS because HALO players are fuckwits.
Oh, you poor, poor dear. There-there, everything will be alllllright.

(Nurse, bring the Thorazine. STAT, but don't run.)

-- Steve

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MorteSphere said:
HALO WARS wouldn't have been a successful RTS because HALO players are fuckwits.
That's...not what you said. I disagree with the premise itself, but that's not what you said, or even implied.

I've played DotA online a lot. I'm not "pro" by any means, in fact I would describe myself as distinctly average, but I've played a lot of it and I can safely say that the majority of DotA players are complete assholes.

Rewind to 2004. The statement "World of Warcraft will not be a successful MMO because Warcraft 3 players are complete assholes" is foolish. They appeal to two different (though overlapping, I'm sure) demographics.

So yeah, I disagree with both things you said, both your actual first statement and your retelling.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
If you want an example of a GOOD console RTS, look at Brutal Legend. Instead of trying to be a clicky micromanagement PC game with controls which are entirely unsuited to this (like Halo Wars) it tones down the micromanagement and simplifies the controls. Instead, you play as the 'hero' unit and the game is more focused around fighting alongside your troops. If Halo Wars did that instead - like, if it played like a regular FPS, but you could spawn infantry squads and vehicles to fight with you - piloting the vehicles yourself if you wanted to - I think it would have been infinitely more fun.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
random_bars said:
If you want an example of a GOOD console RTS, look at Brutal Legend. Instead of trying to be a clicky micromanagement PC game with controls which are entirely unsuited to this (like Halo Wars) it tones down the micromanagement and simplifies the controls. Instead, you play as the 'hero' unit and the game is more focused around fighting alongside your troops. If Halo Wars did that instead - like, if it played like a regular FPS, but you could spawn infantry squads and vehicles to fight with you - piloting the vehicles yourself if you wanted to - I think it would have been infinitely more fun.
Except the RTS component of BL is, frankly, shit. It's as strategically deep as cabbage because you can win every map in the campaign by rushing with tier 1 units, and, indeed, the enemy's build and econ advantage is so massive that if you don't do that you're screwed because it will get max tier units whilst you're still scrabbling around for the stat of tier 2.

This is also the best strategy because your units have basically no AI and the control interface for them is about a thousand times as fiddly as Halo Wars. If you wanted to actually use your units for anything you'd need godlike micro, but since the control scheme doesn't allow micro you're basically left with "spawn bangers, run to enemy stage, play facemelter to get rid of their units, destroy their econ structures, place rally banner, and just keep spawning bangers and razorgirls until you hit cap, the enemy dies, or both."

EVERY MISSION.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
GloatingSwine said:
Except the RTS component of BL is, frankly, shit. It's as strategically deep as cabbage because you can win every map in the campaign by rushing with tier 1 units, and, indeed, the enemy's build and econ advantage is so massive that if you don't do that you're screwed because it will get max tier units whilst you're still scrabbling around for the stat of tier 2.

This is also the best strategy because your units have basically no AI and the control interface for them is about a thousand times as fiddly as Halo Wars. If you wanted to actually use your units for anything you'd need godlike micro, but since the control scheme doesn't allow micro you're basically left with "spawn bangers, run to enemy stage, play facemelter to get rid of their units, destroy their econ structures, place rally banner, and just keep spawning bangers and razorgirls until you hit cap, the enemy dies, or both."

EVERY MISSION.
Yeah, the campaign is easy. Which is probably a good thing because of how many people STILL complained that it was too hard. But try that online and you'll get stomped. Like I said, the game isn't focused around micromanagement and exact control of units - it's about what to build to counter your opponent, which unit to double team with and when, which solos to play, and when to kill units yourself. Basically, it's about knowing where to focus your attention at any given time.

The interface isn't any good at doing huge amounts of micromanagement because that isn't what the game is about. If you spend all the time in the air, doing nothing, then you'll lose, and you'll have a shit time in the process. But to do so is to refuse to use your most powerful unit, and to try to play the game as something it isn't. Seriously, the game isn't shit, it's just that playing it like a conventional RTS just doesn't work, because that's not the idea.

Oh, and I'm not sure where you got the idea that the enemies have an econ advantage, because they genuinely don't, except in situations where they already have units spawned at the start. Or in battles where you have to defend against waves of enemies. But in straight stage battles, you're both on the same footing.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
random_bars said:
GloatingSwine said:

EVERY MISSION.
Yeah, the campaign is easy.
It doesn't sound 'easy', it sounds 'broken', which to me is the sign of the opposite of a "Good RTS", console or no.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Amnestic said:
It doesn't sound 'easy', it sounds 'broken', which to me is the sign of the opposite of a "Good RTS", console or no.
Did you read the rest of the post? It's not 'broken' at all. The campaign is easy enough to be won by spamming units, but that doesn't make the design of the game or the battles 'broken'. And it's clear that the AI is intentionally easy in campaign because you can play against AI in multiplayer, and there it's much more of a challenge and can't be won as easily.

Also, you really need to play things for yourself before making judgements like that.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
The announcement actually came last week, as forum moderator "Cocopjojo" broke the news to an understandably upset community.
I'm confused there, I didn't even know people bought that game.