Microsoft Questions Move's Motion Credentials

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft Questions Move's Motion Credentials

Making a motion controlled game is apparently about more than just motion.

Xbox product director Aaron Greenberg has cast a critical eye over the launch line-up for Sony's Move controller and has found it lacking. In his opinion, Sony has simply tacked motion controls on to traditional games, rather than creating games specifically for the controller.

He said that Microsoft had taken a different approach when making games for Kinect, and wasn't going to add motion controls to games like Halo or Call of Duty just for the sake of adding them. Microsoft didn't want players to have to chose between a regular controller and motion controller, he said, instead it wanted games to be played with whichever peripheral gave the best experience. He said it was likely that there would also be hybrid games, but thought that they would be specially constructed as well.

Greenberg is certainly right in saying that many of the games that support Move will also work with a regular controller, but he doesn't really make a case for why that extra choice is a bad thing. Resident Evil 5 or Killzone 3 might not specially built for the Move, and most core gamers will probably chose a regular controller for those games anyway, but it never hurts to have the option.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=265368]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
And how many MS games will end up with tacked on Kinect functionality? Loads.

Whatever happened to SixAxis? I mean I can only think of a couple of games that actually used it that weren't early PS3 titles.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Thats nice to hear, might 'suggest' my brothers buy kinect.
[small]By suggest I mean beat my brothers into buying it'[/small]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
At least we won't see any crappy ports onto Kinect...

That's Helped me decide weather it has potential, and with that i think it does...

I mean has anyone acctualy played call of duty 4 on the Wii? o_O

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
"Microsoft didn't want players to have to choose" Sounds an awful lot like "Microsoft didn't want players to be able to choose" to me.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
"Microsoft had taken a different approach when making games for Kinect, and wasn't going to add motion controls to games like Halo or Call of Duty just for the sake of adding them."

And what's to guarantee every other developer won't just "tack on" motion controls "just for the sake of adding them?" Oh that's right, nothing.

Amusing bullshit comment, the next thing we're going to hear is that Kinect Sports is just so totally different from Move Sports Champions and Wii Sports, right?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
This is a stupid argument. The reason they can't "tack" on motion to Xbox games is because the Kinect doesn't really work that way. How would the Kinect tack on motion controls to a shooter? They've already decided they can't without you using the controller. And since they are pushing their device as this controller free device, that would not look good in marketing Kinect games that require controllers.

The reason the Wii and the Move can tack on motion is because they use a controller to begin with.

And really, it's hard for me to care about any of these products anymore. Both Sony and Microsoft are spending so much time comparing their god damned dick size, they are forgetting the most important aspect of their new peripherals.

I wish they'd stop picking on each other and just create something worth playing.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
^this
control is everything nowadays

MS is doing a fine thing. By removing the porting thing, they effectively remove the confusion from the buyer's mind as to whether he/she should buy a Kinect port or 360 port or PC port etc.

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
"Microsoft didn't want players to have to chose between a regular controller and motion controller, he said, instead it wanted games to be played with whichever peripheral gave the best experience"
... and then proceeded to copy every silly pop-corn game from wii, with slightly better graphics and the same lag between motion and response.

Why didn't they even try to do some "point and click adventure" Monkey Island style with kinect?
Or a RTS with kinect?
No. Party games.
Right.
That's quite innovative, isn't it?

EDIT: And this:
meganmeave said:
This is a stupid argument. The reason they can't "tack" on motion to Xbox games is because the Kinect doesn't really work that way. How would the Kinect tack on motion controls to a shooter? They've already decided they can't without you using the controller. And since they are pushing their device as this controller free device, that would not look good in marketing Kinect games that require controllers.

The reason the Wii and the Move can tack on motion is because they use a controller to begin with.

And really, it's hard for me to care about any of these products anymore. Both Sony and Microsoft are spending so much time comparing their god damned dick size, they are forgetting the most important aspect of their new peripherals.

I wish they'd stop picking on each other and just create something worth playing.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
You mean Microsoft criticized it's primary competition in the motion controller market? I'm shocked, shocked.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Everyone come quick! Two stupid kids are having a slap fight over who is the most stupid!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Microsfot coming out as the big bull of the school yard once more - They just want that pie all to themselves and are upset Sony got there first, heh

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
He's right! Sony just tacked on motion controls to existing game ideas and is creating second-rate games that barely touch the potential of motion controls!

Sony's not doing anything *really* creative that other companies are doing, like... like...

Hmm. A little help here?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

I remember Molyneux gushing about the potential use of Natal in games like Fable right when they announced it, so please MS and Sony just...just..stop talking about this silly motion competition like anyone actually cares about it.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
meganmeave said:
You read my mind.

Microsoft and Sony, stop saying the rival product is rubbish, and that yours is excellent. It's all empty marketing/spin. How about you actually make some good games for this new technology? That's how you'll get my money.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Actually seems like Sony is doing the smart thing. Publishers don't have to worry as much about product failure since they still have an audience without the motion controls and for players, if they eventually decide to buy the Move, they most likely already own games that support it.

The again, I already own a Wii and I'm still making my way through enough PS2 titles that I don't have to worry about buying a new system until the PS4/X-Box 3 comes out.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Microsoft are just trying to be cool by bashing Sony. kinect is honestly gonna be an epic failure. am not saying Sony hasnt done anything wrong either, but Kinect will be catastrophe.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Sounds like a point in Move's favour to me, that it can do original and port games...