Microsoft Renews Scalebound Trademark, Causing Rumors that it May Salvage the Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft Renews Scalebound Trademark, Causing Rumors that it May Salvage the Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1406/1406803.jpgMicrosoft has renewed the trademark for Scalebound, which has of course sparked a ton of rumors on the internet.

In January of this year, Microsoft announced that it had cancelled the long-awaited Scalebound [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169224-Scalebound-Canceled-Microsoft-Platinum-Part-Ways] from Platinum Games. It was a blow to fans of the game and the Xbox One, as the game was one of the most-anticipated for the console, and had been in development for four years. The noise around the game had largely died down, and most folks had accepted that it wasn't going to happen until today, when it came to light that Microsoft had renewed its trademark on the game's name. This was the second trademark extension that Microsoft had filed on Scalebound.

The news appeared on post [http://www.somosxbox.com/en/microsoft-renews-scalebound-rights/742544] that "Development is resumed, led by and entrusted to an important "close" MS team."

Obviously, this is a lot of stretching based on just a trademark renewal. While it could be the case that MS is working on bringing the game back to life, it could also be that it just wants to protect the IP and its rights to the name. In fact, Windows Central [http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-renewed-trademark-scalebound-no-its-not-development] says that its sources say that "Scalebound is not in development by Microsoft or a 'trusted team.'"

It sounds like the odds are that this is nothing more than a company protecting its interests in a game that it has already invested a lot of time and money into. As much as you might want to see Scalebound return, it doesn't sound likely at this time.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
My cynical side thinks they're doing this so that no other company can scoop in and save the game and add it to their repertoire rather than due to their desire to revive it but I sure hope I'm wrong about that.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
As an xbone owner none of their IPs interest me. Scalebound does so fingers crossed.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dreiko said:
My cynical side thinks they're doing this so that no other company can scoop in and save the game and add it to their repertoire rather than due to their desire to revive it but I sure hope I'm wrong about that.
Sadly, I think you're right.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Jacked Assassin said:
Replacing the generic white boy with a D&D style Dragonborn would be enough to save Scalebound.
You never know he wouldn't turn into some dragon hybrid eventually, maybe fusing with his dragon pal. It's platinum, after all. Maybe they'd call it dragon trigger as an homage to Devil Trigger in Dmc.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm willing to bet that they're just doing it to protect that trademark and keep the assets because of course they can.

I don't have an Xbone, but Scalebound would have given me a strong reason to get one since I love Platinum.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I doubt they would continue its production, which is a shame. It did look like an interesting premise.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dreiko said:
My own cynical side is worried that they will pull an Overstrike a Fuse.

If that happens... well, I guess I am happy I never bought an Xbone.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'd bet its going to be a Windows Store exclusive. It'd bomb in Japan like Microsoft's track record of trying to break into that market shows, and there's more fans of Platinum's games on PC outside of Japan than in Japan at this point.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Saulkar said:
My own cynical side is worried that they will pull an Overstrike a Fuse.

If that happens... well, I guess I am happy I never bought an Xbone.
My heart still weeps from that tragedy of a redesign. It's like the GTA vs Saint's row argument; one tries to be more realistic while the other embraces the silly. Not saying GTA is bad overall (Gotta say IV was rather bland looking), but gotta admit Saint's row has a certain energy to it.(but the last Saint's was abit weak; superpowers WTF?) Overstrike was a good idea that suffered from market research and test groups. Has anyone every did a study on games that use test/research over those that don't? Or perhaps games that use them and games that only have open betas? Seems like something worth looking into. Over course if the answer shows such groups are obsolete....