Microsoft Rep Slams PS3 and Killzone 2

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Microsoft Rep Slams PS3 and Killzone 2

In a recent interview, Xbox 360 product management director Aaron Greenberg talked a sizable amount of smack to Sony after NPD sales figures came up in Microsoft's favor.

While rabid system bashing is to be expected on forums filled with fanboy zealots, it's always fun to see it coming from companies themselves. Greenberg has been building a reputation for his frank, blunt manner, after rebuking Kaz Hirai a few months ago. The flaunting begins:

"The PS3 was down in February two percent even with the launch of Killzone 2 -- that's months of year-over-year declines. Xbox continues to head north while the PS3 is heading south. We're gaining share."

Greenberg 's obviously out for blood, as anyone who besmirches the name of PS3 messiah Killzone 2 isn't playing around. He continued with the Killzone 2 bashing, touting the success of The Lost and Damned's Xbox Live sales:

"If that content was sold at retail, it would be one of the best sellers across all platforms," he added. "It would have outsold Killzone 2."

Considering Killzone 2's NPD sales data so far is only for a few days, Greenberg may be jumping the gun a bit. The inflammatory comments didn't stop there though, as he then went straight for the PS3's jugular, attacking the system's slipping sales.

" ... with the PS3 business declining, it's been described to me as hemorrhaging at retail right now, and it just keeps getting worse."

Leaning on sales numbers is usually a pretty poor way to prove a point, and while Greenberg was busy giving a tongue lashing to Sony, Nintendo's Wii sold about twice as many units as the 360 in February. Nintendo must be too busy counting its money to verbally blast Microsoft in interviews. Suspiciously, Greenberg failed to mention any of the many exciting Xbox 360 exclusives that are coming out this year.

Source: <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22833"
target="_blank">Gamasutra

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Geez, all they do it ***** ***** *****. All the damn time. It would be nice if they gave us some news for once, instead of just verbally bullying each other.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Hasn't this already been posted...and he's paid to be a fanboy, who really cares about this "news"?.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
To me this headline reads 'paid corporate henchman beats other corporations product with bag of hot air.'

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I think that these Microsoft and Sony reps who keep bitching at each other should 'duke it out' at the next Celebrity Boxing event.

Settle the score, once and for all (well not really, but it'll be fun to watch).

Battle of the corporate fanboys extraordinaire.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Nintendo is the elephant in the room. It seems the Sony and Microsoft have decided to all but ignore the giant beast and go on bashing each other. It is really pathetic when you think about it.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Everyone mentions that Sony and Microsoft--and their respective camps--ignore the fact that Nintendo is wiping the floor with the competition. That may be true, but if they think like I think, they are the only two true gaming machines out there; there's still room for a battle for supremacy.

Too bad that the only way we'll ever see any kind of proof as to which console really is better is when one of them just plain dies.

EDIT: My Lord let me rephrase. Too bad that the the only way we'll ever see which console has the best overall staying power, all things considered, is when one just plain dies on the market.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh come on, not even Sony directly bashed Microsoft. The closest I can think of is when they compared the values to each console but even then they were talking more about themselves instead of bashing how the Xbox "doesn't give you a million billion $ worth of stuff."

And really? 2%? Just 2%? He's grasping straws here, that's like, what, a thousand or so, that's not a HUGE dip that he's claiming it is.

Michael Grimm said:
Suspiciously, Greenberg failed to mention any of the many exciting Xbox 360 exclusives that are coming out this year.
Heh, more fuel for Indigo_Dingo, eh?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
galletea said:
Geez, all they do it ***** ***** *****. All the damn time. It would be nice if they gave us some news for once, instead of just verbally bullying each other.
Agreed. So much for professionalism, eh?

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
So much for hoping their working on free DLC for halo or providing live for free instead of bashing the competition. Well I'm gonna go back to playing KZ2 then.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jeronus said:
Nintendo is the elephant in the room. It seems the Sony and Microsoft have decided to all but ignore the giant beast and go on bashing each other. It is really pathetic when you think about it.
The thing is though, Nintendo is going through a completely different market than either Sony and Microsoft. That isn't to say that we shouldn't count them in the race, maybe in cumulative sales, but you can't directly compare them when they all target very different audiences. And when I think about it, the Wii is a pretty good compliment to one of the other two. Get a 360 and Wii, you're good. Get a PS3 and Wii, you're good. Hell, throw in a good gaming PC with either of those and you'r pretty much set.

If you want to compare their sales, sure, include the Wii, but you can't directly compare them when they target different demographics and different approaches to them.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Jumplion said:
Michael Grimm said:
Suspiciously, Greenberg failed to mention any of the many exciting Xbox 360 exclusives that are coming out this year.
Heh, more fuel for Indigo_Dingo, eh?
My thoughts exactly.
Well, usually you'd sneak in a reminder of so-and-so game coming out to further bash the competitor, right? ;)

Mar 29, 2008
Does anyone actually care about anything MS (or Sony) say anymore? Yay! MS increased market share! A big giant who gives a crap? I think both companies need to take their blah-blah to the blah-blah-ologist. (cheers scrubs)

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
D_987 said:
Hasn't this already been posted...and he's paid to be a fanboy, who really cares about this "news"?.
I do, although it is a bit redundant in a "Kotaku" sort of news article, but its fun finding out how moronic and childish the people are that work for the games industry.

Its why Gaming will never be considered proper art medium by the fagmasexuals, if the people who create games and look after them are so fucking immature why should the higher ups regard us as anything but cretins?.