Microsoft Reveals the Most played 360 Games of 2011

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Microsoft Reveals the Most played 360 Games of 2011

The most played Xbox 360 game of 2011 will surprise absolutely no one. Neither will the second or the third, for that matter.

The list, released on Major Nelson's [http://majornelson.com/2012/01/06/top-games-of-2011/] blog today, covers the top twenty games played by Xbox Live users (Silver and Gold) during 2011. These numbers are based on unique users [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_user], rather than total accumulated playtime, otherwise I suspect that game with the dragons and the arrows [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9216-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Review] might have ranked a little higher.

Call of Duty dominates the top of the chart with its three most-recent installments. Halo: Reach, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim ranked fourth, fifth and sixth respectively. The two latest FIFA games outdid Madden by a hair, so Europeans can get their smug on, should they so wish.

The list in full:

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Halo: Reach
Battlefield 3
Skyrim
Gears of War 3
FIFA 12
FIFA Soccer 11
Madden NFL 12
GTA IV
NBA 2K11
Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
Call of Duty 4
Battlefield 3 Beta
Halo 3
Gears of War 2
Forza Motorsport 4
Red Dead Redemption
Call of Duty: World at War

According to the other lists on the blog, Pinball FX2, Full House Poker and the, seemingly immortal, Castle Crashers were the best selling Arcade games, while a pair of shameless Minecraft knock-offs took first and second place in the indie rankings.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Wow. You guys loves yourself some Call of Duty, don't you?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I'm genuinely surprised that GTA 4 is so high on the list. The same with Skyrim. While Skyrim wasn't unexpected, it was quite high for a game that came out with only a month and a half to make the list.

As for the top five.......I am actually surprised Black Ops is the highest COD game there. Although I guess a lot of people play Zombies as well as the multiplayer the MW games only have.

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
Surprised by GTA4, damn Niko is still kicking it. As for the Cod games, i'm glad Blops is on top as that one tried new things and is much more meatier that MW3. I'm playing through MW3 right now and I just hate it. It has some amazing moments, i/e the plane mission and the East River mission in New York but everything else is just bad. Multiplayer is even worse.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I personally find it hilarious that I only have one of those games, Skyrim. *Cue elitist comment on other Xbox 360 owners being stupid frat boys*

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
I'm pissed off the sports games are on there. I'm not a Xbox guy, just pissed off that people can be suckered to spend enough money on a new game for what should be a DLC with the roster changes.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Noble_Lance said:
I'm pissed off the sports games are on there. I'm not a Xbox guy, just pissed off that people can be suckered to spend enough money on a new game for what should be a DLC with the roster changes.
i agree on the sports games. Only one I always buy is Madden. Cuz I'm just too much of a football junkie lol. If they released the games every 2 years so you could get a product where they've taken the time to actually add new features and improve the whole game, as well as having graphical enhancements great enough to matter at all, and do DLC packs that include draft picks and updated stats/age/retirements/trades/etc. until the next game comes out 2 years later I'd be happy.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So, can it be officially sad that, due to ALL CALL OF DUTY GAMES RELEASED IN THIS GENERATION released on this list, that CoD is the most popular franchise of all time for the Xbox?

Because if that's the case, then I need to go cry.

... On another note, woot! That's certainly a milestone for Skyrim to even make this list given how it only had about a month to rack up people playing it, especially given how it's something 'new and unique'.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Really, 12 of the top 20 are FPS?!? There is something wrong there when one gaming branch has that many games on the list // This show that either a lot more FPS are made than any other game set, or that the replay value of those games are low

The only thing that messes with the numbers here is muilt-player // FPS is all about the online matches nowadays so that put these number into perspective // It's not that they are better games, it's just easy to replay

-M

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Reaper195 said:
I'm genuinely surprised that GTA 4 is so high on the list. The same with Skyrim. While Skyrim wasn't unexpected, it was quite high for a game that came out with only a month and a half to make the list.

As for the top five.......I am actually surprised Black Ops is the highest COD game there. Although I guess a lot of people play Zombies as well as the multiplayer the MW games only have.
I'm pleasantly surprised about GTA IV and Skyrim.

What intrigues me is that MW2 was so popular. I feel sorry for Halo 0.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Xman490 said:
Reaper195 said:

I'm pleasantly surprised about GTA IV and Skyrim.

What intrigues me is that MW2 was so popular. I feel sorry for Halo 0.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm glad too. But GTA4 came out in 08, and it's still going strong on Live. I thought the top ten would just be COD games, Battlefield 3 and Halos.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Erm...What was the point in releasing a list like this based on unique users? Wouldn't that be practically identical to the "copies sold" ranking? Which I was under the impression isn't new data?

Would much rather see one involving total playtime.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Don't necessarily think Blops should be number one but I'm glad it's above MW3. You'd think they'd get PS3s since they're so enthralled by online games.