Microsoft Set to Expand Avatar Fashions

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Microsoft Set to Expand Avatar Fashions

New clothing and accessories will be arriving every two weeks for the next six months.

With the New Xbox Experience [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/423-Preview-New-Xbox-Experience] update being pushed to Xboxes around the world today, everyone is getting a chance to create their very own Avatar to occupy their profiles. For those who have already done so, you may have noticed that your virtual closet was looking a bit bare, so it should come as both no surprise and welcome news that Microsoft will soon be rectifying this.

Xbox Live product unit manager, Jerry Johnson, told Xbox 360 Fanboy [http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/11/19/nxe-avatar-theme-packs-confirmed-for-next-six-months/] spotted an in-dashboard advertisement, stating that these new clothing options will be made available every two weeks, effectively doubling the available selections within a few months.

Microsoft has expressed interest to monetize the Avatar customization process, though no price was mentioned for these updates. Microsoft does plan on opening an Avatar store [http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/microsoft-plann.html] next Spring where players will be able to purchase new items for their Avatar and this series of updates sounds quite different than that.

On a related note, we've yet to hear of any developers offering Avatar clothing for achievements, much like some have already done with unlockable gamerpics. Microsoft has already stated [http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/15/e308-avatar-clothing-could-be-unlocked-using-game-achievements/] that this is very much a possibility, so we'll be keeping an eye out for the first game to make that happen.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
It would be pretty cool if companies like JINX could get in on the action and have some of their styles farmed out to Microsoft for Avatar use. I think it'd be a win/win for both. It's be great advertising for them, and people like me would go after a few.

Can you imagine buying a Jinx t-shirt or hat IRL, then get a code emailed to you or on your receipt for DLC Avatar content?

So any gaming company that already has a line of clothing, all I request is a paltry 5% royalty for my idea. You read it here first.

If not, I'll see ya in court

muah ha ha

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
so they steal MII then their gonna charge us for extra stuff, don't blame 'em (glances at wii that is gathering dust) why didn't you think of that nintendo...

Jul 9, 2008
Meh, I don't hate the avatars as much as I thought I would, and I'm loving the new functions, especially the friends list.

EDIT:
Neosage said:
so they steal MII then their gonna charge us for extra stuff, don't blame 'em (glances at wii that is gathering dust) why didn't you think of that nintendo...
Actually, what I heard, and it could be wrong, is that the avatars were MS's idea first, but it got leaked to Nintendo before it could be implemented.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
Man, the Xii's are so stupid anyway imo :/

well if it's free and lets you put your normal gamerpic on a shirt or something I'm cool with that.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
Items unlockable through Achievements sounds better to me than the marketplace items.
Free tends to be better than paid, obviously.
Also items tied to Achievements, to games, is more likely to actually be game-related, and therefore cooler than generic items, than marketplace items.
Well, maybe not, but that's what I suspect.

Walsh said:
Christ, if I wanted a virtual barbie doll I would've bought a Wii.
It's not too late.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
You don't have to use your avatar as a Gamerpic...

As for the news - good - the current selection is a bit thin.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Ripshot said:
well if it's free and lets you put your normal gamerpic on a shirt or something I'm cool with that.
That's actually a brilliant idea. Having the ability to have one's gamerpic on an avatar's shirt would be great.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
Escapist, this is your chance to put Escapist/Zero Punctuation shirts online for our avatars to wear.

Also, I'm never going to buy clothes for my virtual avatar. What do I look like, a Gaia player?

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Lance Icarus said:
Also, I'm never going to buy clothes for my virtual avatar. What do I look like, a Gaia player?
But clearly your avatar is an extension of your soul and only through completely purchasing the full potential for clothing sets can you ever achieve acceptance in your circle of friends? It is not neccesary to be different. Conform. Consume. Relax.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
if they add a some more jackets and coats to the list then i may be tempted but only if there free or as good as...cant be throwing my cash away on fake clothes can i :)