Microsoft Sues Datel Over 360 Controllers

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
The Microsoft Fuhrer demands you play with their memory cards, their controllers and pay for your extended experience, all hail Microsoft!

What I want to know is can they really win this case? I mean I've seen plenty of 3rd party controllers that look damn near exactly the same as the consoles original controllers but never heard of them being sued over it. No matter, as Datel says Microsoft just wants more profits for themselves.

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
Sounds like another dick move by another corporate giant looking to expand as close to monopoly as they can.

Yay capitalism huh folks!?

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
Chech said:
Has anyone ever played with a non-official controller before? It's like walking into your house one day and seeing that all of your furniture has been moved two and half feet to the left. It's still the same house and basically the same layout but it doesn't feel quite right and the sofa doesn't respond when you sit on it....
Many years ago, I bought a Logitech cordless Xbox controller (the original, not 360). Best controller I ever used. No fancy rapid fire functions, just a really nice feel. Not all third party hardware is poor.

In before "but the Xbox controllers were crap": I loved the original Xbox controller (the huge one).

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
that's creepy. I was just looking at them in the Argos catalogue thinking, 'hmm, hope these are in still in stock'...

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
BigEaZyE said:
The real reason is probably to combat the 'Turbo Rapid Fire' function on the controllers that give players an unfair advantage in games like Modern Warfare 2. Frankly I agree with that completely

'Programmable Turbo Rapid Fire

The Wildfire controller?s secret weapon is its programmable Turbo Rapid Fire that can be enabled on any one or more of 8 buttons, giving you a firepower advantage that can make all the difference. Just start the programming, choose which buttons you want to use Rapid Fire on and set the Turbo Rapid Fire mode. The WildFire controller has three selectable speed profiles ensuring usage of Rapid Fire with the widest range of games. With rapid fire enabled, weapons like single shot pistols in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, become lethal, fully automatic weapons that can empty a clip on an enemy in a second!
I actually got accused of that once. I was just pulling the trigger really fast.
I just want to know what exact copyrights it's infringing.

gerrymander61

Sep 28, 2008
Outlaw Torn said:
Sure, it looks similar, but should Datel be required to make the controller look like a pineapple for it to be sufficiently different to the official one?
Well yes actually. Copyrights and whatnot. I hear that they're serious stuff.

Athlumney

Apr 15, 2009
Samah said:
Chech said:
Has anyone ever played with a non-official controller before? It's like walking into your house one day and seeing that all of your furniture has been moved two and half feet to the left. It's still the same house and basically the same layout but it doesn't feel quite right and the sofa doesn't respond when you sit on it....
Many years ago, I bought a Logitech cordless Xbox controller (the original, not 360). Best controller I ever used. No fancy rapid fire functions, just a really nice feel. Not all third party hardware is poor.

In before "but the Xbox controllers were crap": I loved the original Xbox controller (the huge one).
The original controllers did have a nice feel to them, those second generation ones just didn't feel right and had a different button layout that I didn't find as good.

OT: I can see where microsoft is upset about the controllers, but as others have said if it wasn't similar it wouldn't be able to be used on the console easily by someone who's use to the controllers they had before.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
I personally think that Microsoft does deserve every single little bit of revenue from the XBox360 and anything to do with it. I don't see how these third-party companies can come in and copy the design that Microsoft made, put their crappy pattern on it and make money from something they had nothing to do with the creation of, and if they can they need to pay them Microsoft for the right to do it.

Am I saying that Microsoft deserves all the money that they're making, that prices are reasonable and that Microsoft isn't a pack on soul-less money-hungry ghouls? No. They're certainly all of those and there is undoubtedly a special circle in hell reserved for all of them. They charge far too much for everything and if anything there should be some variety of legal intervention to FORCE them to lower prices so that people aren't paying the unbelievable mark-ups that they charge purely because they can. I'm just saying that Datel and other 3rd Party companies have no right to try and make money off of Microsoft's creations and ideas without paying for the right.

I honestly believe that at this point Microsoft is trying to see how far it can legally push away opposition. They're testing the waters, if this can go through it'll green light other suits against other manufacturers/companies/people/properties for even minor similarities, because, well, power and money corrupts, not matter how good a person is. Hell, even with my morals I would probably try do the same thing if I could, does that stop it from being sickening and wrong? No. Even with my above views on 3rd parties expressed and with this new suit, just because of the issues regarding monopoly and control this could lead to I do hope that Microsoft is knocked on its ass.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Can it really be considered news anymore when Microsoft pull moves like this to increase their revenue stream and attempt to put small 3rd party companies out of business?

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
That's yet another reason to support Sony and get a PS3! Seriously though, I don't really understand what Microsoft has against Datels' controllers. Aren't third party controllers supposed to be similar to the official ones?!
Don't kid yourself, Sony are just as bad as Microsoft, hell everyone in that market are all the same, they have to be ruthless pricks to succeed.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
What makes Windows so effective is that everyone can make stuff for it, but when it comes to the x-box the protect like its Humpty Dumpty of the wall.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Wow, M$ are, excuse me, cunts.
How come?

If it were any other company would you have said that?

They own something and they are claiming that someone has commited a crime by copying their hand-controller.

They would be stupid NOT to sue.