Microsoft Testing Eyewear Similar to Google Glass

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Microsoft Testing Eyewear Similar to Google Glass

Microsoft has been working on prototypes for internet-enabled glasses in case the market goes somewhere.

Internet-enabled eyewear hasn't caught on as a fashion statement yet, but Google kicked it off with their Google Glass, technology that provides information in a hands-free format. Microsoft is keeping an eye on the market should it grow in popularity. A person familiar with the project said Microsoft has already asked component makers in Asia to supply cameras and other components for Microsoft's prototype of internet-enabled eyewear, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Microsoft is "determined to take the lead in hardware manufacturing to make sure the company won't miss out on the opportunities in the wearable gadget market," the person said.

The company has been working on not only keeping up but also surpassing others in hardware manufacturing. Microsoft missed the boat on smartphones as Apple and Samsung led the way. Now Microsoft has expanded into tablets with Surface.

Google Glass is not available to the public yet, but market research firm ABI Research predicts annual sales of similar devices to reach 485 million units by 2018. We already use much of technology on the go, as evident by smartphones and mobile gaming. It would not be surprising if in the future many people switch to using wearable technology. Microsoft is also testing a web-connected watch, the Wall Street Journal reported.

At the moment, this kind of technology looks much more expensive than the smart phones and tablets people widely use now. In case the market goes in the right direction for consumers, Microsoft will try to make sure it's ready.

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304402104579150952302814782]

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
roseofbattle said:
Microsoft is "determined to take the lead in hardware manufacturing to make sure the company won't miss out on the opportunities in the wearable gadget market," the person said.
So we can expect it to be a minimum of two years late to market, with fewer features, a more obtuse user interface, and for most of the features it does have to not work in an intuitive or particularly useful way.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Yes. Microsoft's attempts to emulate other company's popular hardware have all been stellar these last few years.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
If you can't innovate, just steal other people's ideas I guess..

This seems like it could be bad idea though. People are so often distracted and oblivious because of smart phones as it is. This seems like it could make it even worse.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Microsoft was a lot better when they were doing their own thing instead of copying other companies. And they're not very good at it. They're not good at it because they're forcing it. It doesn't come natural to them. They just want a cut of the action of the latest gadget. They don't care about making something unique, something revolutionary, something great.
Anyway, I'm not interested in Google Glass, and I'm definitely not interested in Microsoft's version of it. Knowing them, it will stream directly into the NSA servers.

Exterminas said:
Yes. Microsoft's attempts to emulate other company's popular hardware have all been stellar these last few years.
Not just hardware. They are so hellbent on emulating Apple, they actually thought that people would love Windows 8 and that stupid Metro interface.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
The failed at the smartphone, are horribly late into tablets, had a huge negative splashback on windows 8 when they tried to have computers merge with tablets that they're already updating it and now they want to try this? Maybe they should just go do/make/create something original-ish. You know, before the whole lets make 8 and copy everyone else but at a too late time for it to look bad?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
And when it comes out it'll probably be expensive and have no support because it won't draw people in like Apple products and it won't be open source like Google products

BoogieManFL said:
If you can't innovate, just steal other people's ideas I guess..
Microsoft's catch phrase
This seems like it could be bad idea though. People are so often distracted and oblivious because of phones as it is. This seems like it could make it even worse.
It would be. Most people think that the generation that was raised on computers are better at multitasking but studies have shown that isn't true. People in general suck at multitasking. Most car accidents that are caused by a driver talking on a cell phone are more often caused by people use hands free blue tooth headsets and or a hands free system built into the car than drivers holding a phone in their hand. It gives people the illusion that they can do more because their hands are free. It'll be the same thing with Google glass. Just because you can see in front of you and use the Glass at the same time, doesn't mean you can focus on both

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Lyvric said:
The failed at the smartphone, are horribly late into tablets, had a huge negative splashback on windows 8 when they tried to have computers merge with tablets that they're already updating it and now they want to try this? Maybe they should just go do/make/create something original-ish. You know, before the whole lets make 8 and copy everyone else but at a too late time for it to look bad?
I like how even people who are listing Microsoft's failures don't remember the Zune. :p

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Even if I wanted these things, I couldn't use them because I wear glasses. I wonder how many sales they will lose because of people like me?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Lyvric said:
I like how even people who are listing Microsoft's failures don't remember the Zune. :p
i think it is better for everybody, especially microsoft, if we did not remember the zune

in any case, they really dropped the ball on tablets (i think they were already in the tablet market, but just not for mainstream use), and frankly at this point they're just spinning their wheels and hoping that what they have ends up more popular on the chance that google messes up the product first

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Microsoft is trying to emulate all these successful products, but they don't realize these companies are finding success because they're brand new innovative (sometimes questionable but the point still stands) markets.

If they find their own new product, then they'll actually be somewhat successful. Sadly that hasn't happened for years as far as I know. I even kinda like Microsoft and would love for them to come out with something awesome! Sadly is seems like whatever management they have would rather have style than any sort of practicality.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
I have a friend who has a Zune and from what I hear they have a really good deal. $10 or so a month and you can download all the music you want plus you get to keep 10 songs each month, even after you end the subscription. Better than if you went to itunes and had to buy all the music at $.99 each. Regardless, we still made fun of him for owning a Zune.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yoshi4102 said:
That's funny. I don't have an iPod OR a Zune and I keep all the damn MP3s I got.

OT: Can I get a tally on everything Microsoft's tried to copy everyone else in? So far, It think it's...

Playstation consoles
Zunes
Tablets
Smartphones
And now these glasses

Am I missing any?

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Don't get all the hate for microsoft harware, I've only had good experiences with it.

I have a lumia 620 and I love it, best phone I ever used. It's fast, reliable and has all the software I need. I can open the case and change the battery if theres need. The internet sharing feature works well and I can easily go online with my laptop tethered to my phone.
I also love the xbox 360 controller, very ergonomic and comfortable and also the microsoft intellimouse optical is a ergonomic and good quality mouse.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Yeah for all the hate Microsoft gets, you honestly get the good with the bad with their hardware, just like any other similar company.

At the very least, Microsoft peripherals are solid. The 360 controller was well-designed, the Microsoft keyboards and mice are actually pretty good (at the very least, they withstand a hell of a lot of abuse for their price), and on the software side the Windows Phone is apparently a pretty good deal (Windows 8 while being a godawful desktop OS does wonders on touch function with smaller screens).

I think as it is with all new technology, it'll be a case of try it before you knock it.