Microsoft Testing New Xbox Disc Format With Free Halo: Reach

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Testing New Xbox Disc Format With Free Halo: Reach

Microsoft is offering an incentive for beta testers to try out a new Xbox 360 disc format.

Xbox Live programming director Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb recently announced that Microsoft is looking into a new disc format for the Xbox 360. The company is holding an open call to find testers that will try out the format, and receive a free game for their troubles.

Anyone that signs up here [http://connect.microsoft.com/xboxliveupdate] will receive a chance to participate in the beta test. Microsoft is looking for multiple thousands of participants, but at this time only those located in the U.S. are eligible.

Hryb writes that accepted testers will be sent a copy of Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301500935&sr=8-1], in addition to "other possible rewards." These likely include Microsoft Points or free Xbox Live Gold time.

As for this mystery "disc format," it definitely isn't going to be Sony's Blu-ray, and probably won't be anything totally revolutionary either. A "source" tells Digital Foundry that it'll simply boost the available space on an Xbox 360 DVD. Currently, game data can only take up around 6.8 GB of space on a dual layer Xbox 360 disc. The new format could reportedly add another 1GB, or 15% more space, taken from an area on the disc previously not available to game data.

The free copy of Halo: Reach will probably use the new format. If it pans out, Xbox 360 games could get a boost until the next Microsoft console comes out in 2015 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108622-Rumor-Successor-to-Xbox-360-Coming-in-2015] (maybe).

Source: Eurogamer [http://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview/]

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I'd love to sign up but I already have a copy of Reach.

In fact, I'm positive many users who join probably have a copy. What then?

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
aw i saw this yesterday and was like eh to lazy went to do it today and sign ups are closed =(

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
15% more space? Still makes it inferior to the Blu-Ray. And by alot.

Of course Microsoft would rather suicide than admit it.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Yay for getting in early! I saw this before all of you guys did *hipster glasses* and now I am most likely in the beta testing!

<__>

...why is everyone glaring at me?

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
cairocat said:
Yay for getting in early! I saw this before all of you guys did *hipster glasses* and now I am most likely in the beta testing!

<__>

...why is everyone glaring at me?
Until they send us the emails confirming, nothing is certain. I think we can assume they allowed more requests to come in than they plan on accepting, so don't get your hopes up too high lest they get crushed by the weight of your glasses.

Also, I would be careful about what you say... the fine print said they will only send RRoDs to professed hipsters. ;D

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
gigastar said:

They'd also probably admit that their system came out before Blu-Ray, so it's kind of a moot point there.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
gigastar said:

They'd also probably admit that their system came out before Blu-Ray, so it's kind of a moot point there.
They had their chance to upgrade to Blu Ray when they made the slim. It would have been a good choice for not only 360 users, but PS3 users as well.

Games could get so many more features and much more gameplay with the space that Blu Ray provides, but developers that develop for both consoles choose to stick with the limitations of the DVD, because they can't fit as much on it as they could a Blu Ray disk, and cutting content for 360 users is hardly fair.

The DVD is holding console gaming back.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
If it wasn't for the US only requirement I'd sign up. What would I have to lose (except my SOUL!)

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Wow, I never knew that Xbox 360 discs could only hold 6.8 gigs of game data. Does MS use the rest of the disc for DRM? What a lot of wasted space.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
-Samurai- said:
vxicepickxv said:
gigastar said:

They had their chance to upgrade to Blu Ray when they made the slim. It would have been a good choice for not only 360 users, but PS3 users as well.

Games could get so many more features and much more gameplay with the space that Blu Ray provides, but developers that develop for both consoles choose to stick with the limitations of the DVD, because they can't fit as much on it as they could a Blu Ray disk, and cutting content for 360 users is hardly fair.

The DVD is holding console gaming back.
I'm pretty sure Sony has a patent for a blu-ray integrated games console...

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
-Samurai- said:
They had their chance to upgrade to Blu Ray when they made the slim.
What would be the point? Publishers couldn't start releasing blu-ray games as this would cut off everyone who already owns an older xbox. Sure, you'd be able to watch films with it, but it would jack up the price a fair bit to add a feature that is outside of the core purpose of the console, which is to play games.

kungfuchknoodle

Apr 5, 2010
-Samurai- said:
Small issue with that, it does nothing for people who have the previous console:

Not enough people would own the blu ray version (compared to total owners) to justify bothering with blu ray by developers. (probable)
Or, it forces everyone to get a new console, or not get (certain) new games. (not that probable)

Either way, the people who already had consoles are just going to get annoyed by it. And since Microsoft sells more than just consoles, and some of that relies on people using their consoles... they don't really gain jack all from pissing off their own customers. Unless you mean for the viewing of movies on blu-ray discs or something, in which case, use an online service or something.

As for the 2nd part, you own a PS3 already, what are you, too lazy to switch out the cords?

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Was e-mailed about this earlier today and got the message that they were full. This is what happens when they give away a free game. Was part of some previous beta's and have never seen so many people flock to sign up. Not since the original Kinect Beta anyway.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
As hard as it would be to implement, Blu-Ray would have really made the 360 enticing again for me. Bigger games, better ports as -Samurai- mentioned above, HD movies that aren't HD-DVD[footnote]In the words of Homer Simpson: "Doh!"[/footnote]... ah, the possibilities.

The Slim could have provided a good enough opportunity to upgrade to Blu-Ray. After all, it's not like us older-model 360 owners won't eventually RROD, anyways![footnote]If not sure if serious... don't waste your time at this point[/footnote]