Microsoft to Give Arcade 360 Price Hike in UK

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Microsoft to Give Arcade 360 Price Hike in UK

With rival Sony expected to slash the price of its PS3, Microsoft has responded by announcing its plans to... raise the price of the Arcade 360 in the UK? What?

Retailers across the pond in the United Kingdom have informed Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-increases-arcade-360-price-in-uk] that Microsoft will be raising the price of the Arcade Xbox 360 to £159.99 (from £129.99) at the beginning of next month. 360 peripherals and accessories will likewise see a price increase of a few pounds, ostensibly to combat the poor pound-to-Euro exchange rate.

Tellingly, Microsoft's email to retailers reportedly only mentions the Arcade and Elite versions - lending support to the rumors that the Redmond-based computer giant will be discontinuing the 360 Pro (the "standard" Xbox 360, so to speak).

It's a bit boggling, to be honest. With all the hubbub over predicted price cuts for Sony's PS3 (possibly accompanying the reveal of the PS3 Slim) and Microsoft's Xbox 360 Elite, it's surprising to see MS hiking the price of the console, especially in this craptacular economy. On the other hand, if Microsoft plans on adding stuff to the Arcade bundle - say, a larger hard drive - it might make a bit more sense, giving consumers a more complete package than just the Arcade, for a lower price than the Elite (or the PS3, for that matter).

It's an interesting development in the price-cut-war, and not really one I'd foreseen. We'll likely learn more about the price situation for the major console players at Gamescom later this week.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/17/360-arcade-sku-gets-price-increase-to-15999/])

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
"Sales are slumping because people have less money to spend on leisurely items due to a falling economy. I know! Let's raise the price of them, that ought to increase sales!"

What morons. I am glad I already have a standard 360 and have no desire for a new one.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Good lord. Is this pick on England season or something?

Stop raising our freaking prices!

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Wow ... Seriously wow. At Microsoft meetings do they just bang their heads against bricks for the first 30 minutes?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
What's going on with all these price hikes? Seriously, Capitalism Shmapitalism, we're in this freakin' economy people! As communist-y as this may sound, I think we can put aside capitalism for a little bit!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
suck it england!

but seriously, thats nothing, heck even whit the price increase i could still buy a ticket to england buy an xbox and a ticket back and still save money instead of buying one in denmark.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
What is this? An Escapist Article that isn't bashing Sony's marketing ploys?? but their competition?!!? I've been on this site for almost a year, I dare say this might be only the second time I've seen this.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'll see you in hell, Microsoft.

I didn't bite when ActiSatan tried to talk their way out of MW2, and I sure as hell ain't biting now.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
...sooo... are people actually buying the Arcade? I mean... it has no harddrive?

Raising the price on something we're not buying seems kinda... useless.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I was going to complain about how bad the price was in the UK but I did some math and if that's the price including VAT 159.99 is closer to the equivalent of 144.00 I would have to pay in Canadian dollars than the previous price. Microsoft is probably doing this because of the current poor exchange rate (GBP vs USD).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Syphonz said:
What is this? An Escapist Article that isn't bashing Sony's marketing ploys?? but their competition?!!? I've been on this site for almost a year, I dare say this might be only the second time I've seen this.
Bad Sony news sales.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Syphonz said:
Let's be fair, here.

Sony has some really stupid marketing at times. :p

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Syphonz said:
Let's be fair, here.

I will agree to that at times. But there's been some times where an Article is written about a sony product and its pricing, yet, its something nobody on this forum would ever be intrested in looking at. Like that Platinum Notebook. It's not aimed at us, so why are we bitching?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
The pound has lost so much value games are really dirt cheap in the UK now. Obviously prices are going to go up. And don't complain, in mainland Europe games cost 70€ regularly.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Syphonz said:
Let's be fair, here.

I think what Microsoft is trying to do is make the Elite seem all the more appealing...that is if the Elite gets a price cut to become the new "Pro" model...

Otherwise, this is just a stupid move. (Maybe Sony payed someone off so they could sell some consoles this year. Heavens knows they have had better success selling PS2)

Spygon

May 16, 2009
swaki said:
but seriously, thats nothing, heck even whit the price increase i could still buy a ticket to england buy an xbox and a ticket back and still save money instead of buying one in denmark.
Isnt that due to your economy not being as strong as the UKs.But this suddenly let price hike everything just makes no sence.