Microsoft Unveils a Subscription-Based Fitness App

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Microsoft Unveils a Subscription-Based Fitness App

Microsoft is hatching a diabolical plan to make gamers healthy

Most people don't typically associate Xbox ownership with a healthy lifestyle, but Microsoft may be attempting to change that. Today, the developer unveiled a subscription-based fitness app for the Xbox One that will combine popular workout routines like P90X and Insanity. Xbox Fitness will also allow users to train with celebrity fitness instructors like Jillian Michaels and Tracy Anderson.

However, the most interesting part about Xbox Fitness is the title's use of Microsoft's newly enhanced Kinect sensor. The new Kinect can reportedly process two gigabits of data per second, which means that Xbox Fitness can gather information about form, power and heart rate during your workout. This will allow the software to continuously critique and redesign your program in real time.

"What makes Xbox Fitness so innovative is the feedback it gives you," explains Shaun T, the man behind the Insanity workout. "The Kinect sensor can evaluate your form, tell how high you're jumping, how hard you're punching and even read your heart rate. It's that little missing piece of validation that hasn't been possible for home fitness products before. Xbox Fitness completes the puzzle."

Xbox Fitness will eventually require a paid subscription, but if you're an Xbox LIVE member, Microsoft is waiving the subscription fee until January of 2015.

Now I can finally cancel that expensive gym membership that I never use.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/xbox-fitness]

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
lol, why pay to join a gym when you can pay for a virtual gym!

Of course, all things considered if they Kinect functionality is more than just a gimmick and they really does provide a good, intelligent and adaptive workout system, it could well be worth paying for to many people.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'm actually really really excited about this. I've gone through several rounds of both P90x and Insanity and love it... Combining it with what (I hope) the Kinect sensor says it can deliver makes me seriously psyched, since it looks like it actually incorporates the videos that go with those respective programs.

I understand all the yelling about "Xbox isn't geared towards gamers waaa" but I seem to be falling into the demographic of someone who is legitimately interested in everything they've announced as features (sports, skype, fantasy football, and now fitness/Kinect functionality).

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
So...it's Wii Fit, if you had to subscribe to something that gives you the ability to subscribe to it, and then subscribe to it. After spending $500 on the system.

And current reports from game journalists who've tried it are that the Xbone Kinect doesn't work even close to right.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
derpstermcderpyson said:
ClockworkUniverse said:
So...it's Wii Fit, if you had to subscribe to something that gives you the ability to subscribe to it, and then subscribe to it. After spending $500 on the system.

And current reports from game journalists who've tried it are that the Xbone Kinect doesn't work even close to right.
1. clearly more advanced than Wii fit. refusing to acknowledge that is head in the sand hatred of anything Microsoft.

2. would you kindly link to any of these " current reports" about how bad the Kinect is? Because honestly, I have a hard time believing they exist, knowing that if they did, each and every one world be the lead story on the escapist in 50 foot neon letters.

captcha: make up something I said like every other dolt escapist reader.

nah captcha, I'm good.
I know it's more advanced than Wii Fit. Obviously. My main point was the "having to pay for the privilege of paying for it" bit.

And the article I saw was here: http://kotaku.com/why-im-a-little-bit-worried-about-kinect-1381738496

Yeah, I know, Kotaku isn't exactly great, but I find it hard to believe that he's just outright making stuff up. A relevant quote:

My avatar?s limbs are contorted like some screwed up Lovecraftian marionette, my arms twitch incessantly, clearly not responding to any of my movements.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
THEY'RE TRYING TO MAKE ME HEALTHY?! NOOOOO! STAY BACK! BACK YOU DEMON! *Throws chips and sprays soda*