Microsoft Vows To Fight Government Spying Via Kinect

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
kael013 said:
josemlopes said:
I dont get what the camera has to do with spying, I mean spying text messages makes sense as people comunicate through that, I guess they can spy Skype calls but to think that they will watch you sleep? Why would they want to do that?

Even Microsoft doesnt need it to collect data for advertisements, its not like they will try to sell a t-shirt depending on what t-shirt color you usually wear. They only need to track where you go in your console or in your browser, thats what actually matters.
Actually, it's very useful as a camera also shows the person's [i/]room[/i]. For example, my room is set-up so that if I had a Kinect on my Xbox it could see my bookshelf, movie collection, and game pile. Now why is all that important? It gives the company more information on what I like. Add the fact the new Kinect measures heart-rate -which is in some part controlled by emotional state- and this device is perfect for marketing. "This guy gets excited from action movies with lots of explosions. Let's show him ads for our next game with lots of explosions." "This guy has a lot of Sci-fi books and movies. Let's show him all our 'cool' Sci-fi stuff."

As for them just tracking my movements on the console or browser, well that only goes so far since it's all based on current products they have. Maybe I and a sizeable portion of people enjoy a genre (say steampunk) that they have no (or very few) products for. How can they learn about that from monitoring us when we're on the console? They can't; but they [i/]can[/i] learn about it from watching us read books of that genre, watch movies of that genre, etc. Now they've learned about a new market and they'll do what any good money-loving company will do: capitalize on it and make more money.

Spying isn't only about watching a person, but their surroundings as well.
I dont really buy that because they dont need to see your movie collection through a small camera that may or may not be able to recognize the side cover of the movie, they can just make a deal with Netflix (that they probably already have) and have your watching history, or gather data from movie trailers and previews that you watch on Youtube (most accounts are linked one way or the other) or even on the internet since you can be loged in with your Google Chrome account and just checking a piece of news that mentions the movie is enough data for them (I watch most news related to super-hero movies for example, that data is usefull for them to determine what I like).

They can just go to your Facebook and see what you like. I mean, its so easy, why do people think that the camera will have this purpose if its such a flawed concept in the first place, a shit load of other easier more reliable ways are out there.

EDIT: I understand that people may feel unconfortable but to take this as a serious menace is going a bit over our heads.

A few years ago it would have made sense since there werent that many ways of gathering information about someone but now its so easy that a camera in a room is even worse then the other options

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
"Absent a new law, we don't believe the government has the legal authority to compel us or any other company that makes products with cameras and microphones to start collecting voice and video data."

That would be nice if the current regime actually bothered with following the law, legal procedures, the constitution, or any of the intended checks on the executive branch's and government's power in general. If MS doesn't play ball they'll find themselves the subject of another BS anti-trust investigation and will have the IRS finding some excuses to demand money out of them.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Infernal Lawyer said:
And yet you're still going to spy on us for marketing purposes. Wait a second, what's...?
Steven Bogos said:
It's a little-known fact that the Kinect, which Microsoft insists is integral to the Xbox One experience, can actually be turned completely off [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124447-Xbox-Ones-Kinect-Can-Actually-Be-Turned-Off].
Okay, now i know that I'm not always going to be watched all day, but the fact that I knew so many horrible things about the Xbone and not this single redeeming feature until now says a lot about Microsoft's marketing department. They really need to stop being so fucking vague about everything other than confirming or backpedaling on their shitty features/practices.
In this case, the author of this article is the one being vague.

Based on existing information, you cannot turn off the Kinect short of turning off the console. If you do turn off the console, the Kinect will also turn off. In this fashion, it obeys the standard laws of "all powered devices since forever".

Essentially, the author of this article is telling you the Kinect will not function in the absence of electricity, a revelation worthy of exactly no one's time.

Some have suggested that the system will actually go into some sort of standby mode if the Kinect sensor is in any way inhibited. This would be logically consistent with their refusal to allow users to manually turn off the Kinect while continuing to use the console. Also lends quite a bit of credence to the notion that this thing is primarily about gathering information for targeted advertising delivered via the XBL dashboard... which you're already paying for.

If I can't opt out of the ads in any way, I'm not buying this console.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
This is why Microsoft just dropped -11% in the markets. The unlimited riches of Government spending was just dropped from Microsoft.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
I wouldn't trust Microsoft to hold onto the data gathered from Xbox users. It's already being sold to advertisers and the government can easily use any number of "legal" excuses to override anything Microsoft may have in place. Not only that, but who's to say that the government wouldn't harass the advertisers for the data if any of those companies when they'd so easily sell it to even more companies.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yeah, attacknig the wrong horse here. its not governemnt spying on us we are afraid. its the basement hacker that will crack your awful security (seriuosly, microsoft security, its probably going to work like their AV, that is to dance around the virus hoping it will get bored and go home) in a few weeks you will ahve kids making "home videos" of your living room. THIS is much realistic problem than NSA spying on us. if NSA really wanted to do that, they could do it with your permission or without.
your name and your comment.... perfect....

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Kwil said:
So.. it seems what people are worried about here is that Microsoft might use the Kinect to see what kind of things they like.. and then offer them more of it. The heartless bastards. How dare they try to offer people what they enjoy!

Christ, just a bunch of goddam puritans around here.
Sorry that I don't want to get caught drinking a can of pepsi, and then suddenly drowned in a torrent of ads from pepsi affiliates.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
It's a little-known fact that the Kinect, which Microsoft insists is integral to the Xbox One experience, can actually be turned completely off [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124447-Xbox-Ones-Kinect-Can-Actually-Be-Turned-Off].
I there an indicator light for when the kinect is on?

All this camera spy talk reminds me of the phone camera malware.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119890-US-Navy-Helps-Create-Camera-Hijacking-Smartphone-Malware

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
Kwil said:
So.. it seems what people are worried about here is that Microsoft might use the Kinect to see what kind of things they like.. and then offer them more of it. The heartless bastards. How dare they try to offer people what they enjoy!

Christ, just a bunch of goddam puritans around here.
I'm kinda with you on this one. Corporate meta-data gathering really isn't a concern. Their motives are fairly transparent. They want money. They gather data to serve ads for things you like, in the hopes of enticing you to spend more money. I really prefer this over random, untargeted ads. Worst case scenario, I ignore the ad. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Strazdas said:
Yeah, attacknig the wrong horse here. its not governemnt spying on us we are afraid. its the basement hacker that will crack your awful security (seriuosly, microsoft security, its probably going to work like their AV, that is to dance around the virus hoping it will get bored and go home) in a few weeks you will ahve kids making "home videos" of your living room. THIS is much realistic problem than NSA spying on us. if NSA really wanted to do that, they could do it with your permission or without.
LEL MICRO$OFTS SECURITY SUXX!!11!

Do you read anything you type before you hit submit? Yes, windows defender in win8 could probably be better, but it works, its free, it stays up-to-date, and because its fully integrated into the OS, its actually the best AS/AV/FW performance-wise. Further, your Kinect info will typically be internal to the device, or passing information through Azure. You really can't get much better than that. The modified form of Win8 that the One will be rolling out would also require specific hacks. Chances are, nabbing each one individually will be a waste of time.

If you are really concerned about the Kinect being on, cover it up. Through some tape on it or a plastic cover. Or better yet, don't buy it. Enjoy root-kit Sony, enjoy feature-removing Sony, enjoy Three-weeks-downtime Sony, enjoy Every-account-management-system-we've-ever-run-has-been-grossly-compromised-Sony, enjoy modify-your-console-and-we'll-sue-you Sony. Just enjoy.

I'll have fun with my 1080p 3D camera, my tablet-integration, and unified development/multimedia platform between my PC, my tablet, my phone, and my console.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Kwil said:
Wait.. so you think if they *don't* see you with something, you'll get fewer ads? Really?
No, but I don't want them to know what I like. That aids them in manipulating people further than they already do.

Say they catch me eating a salty snack. They then target advertisements to me showing refreshing drinks, maybe it even uses my name as advertising is beginning to do so, and it reminds me how thirsty I am. So I eventually go to the shop and while I may not buy one of the drinks they advertised, chances are the drink I buy is owned by the same company as the one that was advertised.

That's far more manipulative than me just sitting in front of the tv, and half of the adverts are things I'll never want or need like tampons or overly expensive cars or shitty movies I have no intention of seeing.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
"That's right, everyone We promise not to let the government spy on you, ever! That privilege is reserved for our advertisers and marketing committees! Don't worry about Big Brother or things like that, have some targeted advertisements and subliminal messages! Buy buy buy!"

XBone? Nein, danke.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
"OK Government and, anyone else who would want to spy on people...I'm going to leave this camera and microphone right here in everybody's living room. Now I want you to pinky-promise me you won't go spying on anybody OK?"

Microsoft...it couldn't have been easier. I want to give you my money and all you had to do was give me a pretty, little box that remembered games like Crimson Skies, Mechassault and, Otogi. I'm glad you remembered Panzer Dragoon and Killer Instinct but there is no way in Hell I'm putting the camera/microphone combo in my living room. No, I can't put it in my room instead as my bedroom is too small to accommodate the Kinect. No, I don't think I can trust you even if you release a version that doesn't require Kinect: What did you say? "All features and functionality are subject to change at any time and for any reason"?

You just don't have my trust anymore Microsoft.

---

Also, I thought the Kinect2.0 was always listening for the "On" command, even while it's switched to the 'off' mode. Then again, unplugging the thing is the true 'off' setting...

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
"We can't use it to spy on our customer because they'll get pissed off, so we're going to make sure that no one else can spy on our customers and we'll take whatever legal measures we can to make it seem like we care about our customers!"

That's really what I saw when reading the little snippet.

Carry on Microsoft, carry on....

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I Never thought they would give up the Kinect data until they said this. LOL
Now I'm sure they will. LMAO
Why is the first step before it happens is always to convince people it isn't going to happen?
DENY DENY DENY then !BAM!

"but.. but wait they had a warrant!"

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BlackMageBob said:
Strazdas said:
LEL MICRO$OFTS SECURITY SUXX!!11!

Do you read anything you type before you hit submit? Yes, windows defender in win8 could probably be better, but it works, its free, it stays up-to-date, and because its fully integrated into the OS, its actually the best AS/AV/FW performance-wise. Further, your Kinect info will typically be internal to the device, or passing information through Azure. You really can't get much better than that. The modified form of Win8 that the One will be rolling out would also require specific hacks. Chances are, nabbing each one individually will be a waste of time.

If you are really concerned about the Kinect being on, cover it up. Through some tape on it or a plastic cover. Or better yet, don't buy it. Enjoy root-kit Sony, enjoy feature-removing Sony, enjoy Three-weeks-downtime Sony, enjoy Every-account-management-system-we've-ever-run-has-been-grossly-compromised-Sony, enjoy modify-your-console-and-we'll-sue-you Sony. Just enjoy.

I'll have fun with my 1080p 3D camera, my tablet-integration, and unified development/multimedia platform between my PC, my tablet, my phone, and my console.
Microsoft security is quite bad, hence the need to plug the holes for next 10 years is certain. unless they pulled another 180 on that too.
Windows defender could be a lot better. there are better free antivirus services. for example avast. yes, it works, sort of. and its integrated into OS that is a plus, but other antivuruses have learnt how to get themselves in pretty well, unless microsoft pulls a "fuck off" in win8, which they can do for any program they want.
Kinect info will be internal. and hence the problem, it has internal info. any easily seeded worm (for example carried over via usb sticks) and thati nfo is yours. you can then manpulate it to send it over internet wheever you want as long as xbox is conencted.
kinect cant be covered, the rumors so far say best case scenario the xbox will be in "Stand by" mdoe if kinect cant see anything.
Oh, im not saying sony is a saint or anything, but MS has pretty much all these you stated and more.
and i can have the last part by, you know, having a PC.