Microsoft Vows To Fight Government Spying Via Kinect

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
That's a blatant lie. The Kinect as a device is actually collecting your metadata. That's not a conspiracy, that's what the thing does in order to do it's job. The official Xlive ToS already poses a great privacy risk, and all those anti-terrorist acts like The Patriot Act allow the US government to bypass the 4th amendment and just ask Microsoft for Kinect metadata without a warrant. On top of that Microsoft's been working with NSA on Prism since 2007. Anyone who believes this is quite simply a brainless fuckin' idiot. No point in dancing around that.
So anyone that disagrees with you is a "brainless fucking idiot"? Someone needs a chill pill here.

Let's stop and take a breath here, okay cowboy? Verizon and Facebook have also been working for NSA as well. And you criticize Microsoft even though you admit the government can just force them to give information? If they can do that, what's to stop them from taking info from Steam or Sony?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
My only thought here was 'OH ***** PLEASE'.

I don't believe my Microsoft OS PC isn't tapped for one cotton picking minute. Every update is a curtain of suspicious.

And you mean to tell me that 'my Windows Operating system console' won't have that same bullshit?

Get out of my house you lying liars who lie.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
...they gave backdoor options for the government for skype and apparently windows 8, so why would they stop here? Because they want to protect their game players?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Aggressively challenge =/= prevent them from having the data as is clearly evidenced by the other data that the government has already obtained from those sources. It doesn't matter how you challenge it if the government still wins every time.

Great, another reason not to like it. *sigh* Wonder if it'd be better had they not announced this.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Saucycarpdog said:
Let's stop and take a breath here, okay cowboy? Verizon and Facebook have also been working for NSA as well. And you criticize Microsoft even though you admit the government can just force them to give information? If they can do that, what's to stop them from taking info from Steam or Sony?
The companies involved with PRISM were not forced to hand over information. They opted into the program by choice.

They could have refused if they wanted. They chose to be participants. Ergo they deserve all the flak in the world for it.
They chose to be participants because the government would issue a fine or forced them to give the info if they didn't. Would you like a link?

And I'm not defending the PRISM program. I'm saying that hating companies that had the US government breathing down their necks is not quite looking at the whole story.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
"If a government wants customer data - including for national security purposes - it needs to follow applicable legal process, meaning it must serve us with a court order for content or subpoena for account information.

... okay, so the government issues you a subpoena to let them spy on your users.
Why the hell would anyone, at this point, think the NSA or US government cares at all about civil liberties, due process or those pesky "laws" that would get in their way?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
So Microsoft pretty much just admitted that "yes, the thing can be used to spy on you. But we promise we will fight the government tooth and nail, in their private one party star chamber court, to probably not stop them from being able to monitor your whole house whenever they want. Isn't technology fun.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Kwil said:
Wait.. so you think if they *don't* see you with something, you'll get fewer ads? Really?
No, but I don't want them to know what I like. That aids them in manipulating people further than they already do.

Say they catch me eating a salty snack. They then target advertisements to me showing refreshing drinks, maybe it even uses my name as advertising is beginning to do so, and it reminds me how thirsty I am. So I eventually go to the shop and while I may not buy one of the drinks they advertised, chances are the drink I buy is owned by the same company as the one that was advertised.

That's far more manipulative than me just sitting in front of the tv, and half of the adverts are things I'll never want or need like tampons or overly expensive cars or shitty movies I have no intention of seeing.
The thing tracks your eye movements and changes in your skin tone. It doesn't care what you are actually eating. It knows what you like from knowing what you look at on screen and how you react to it. If you see a bag of Doritos on screen it will know if you like them. Expect to be force fed lots of ads concerning breasts, breast enhancement products, and livestock.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
How about we just skip all the bullshit about how you care and make the Kinect mandatory. There you go, no more complaints.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
or... we could just save both our troubles... by NOT buying... I'll save that $500, and M$ can save on millions; and actually USE THAT MONEY TO MAKE WINDOWS8 NOT SUCK! While I can use the money I saved to buy PS4! and still have left over for grocery shopping for the week after!

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Somethingfake said:
Nope. Still not going to buy it, think of buying it, or accept it as a gift. Move on Microsoft, I'm sticking to my pc which I can trust.
Which runs Windows, which is manufactured by Microsoft...
Sorry could not hear that over the sound of Ubuntu booting up. Hang on have to wait for Steam to load... Ok so what were we talking about? Oh yeah Micro$oft is full of jerks... I agree.

CriticalMiss said:
It would be so much easier for them to fight government spying by not making the Kinect mandatory. Are they going to do that? No.

Steven Bogos said:
Somethingfake said:
Nope. Still not going to buy it, think of buying it, or accept it as a gift. Move on Microsoft, I'm sticking to my pc which I can trust.
Which runs Windows, which is manufactured by Microsoft...
There's an app for that. http://www.linux.org/
See there is a reasonable response. Valve has already jumped ship off of Windows 8 only a matter of time before everyone else does too.

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Saucycarpdog said:
The companies involved with PRISM were not forced to hand over information. They opted into the program by choice.

They could have refused if they wanted. They chose to be participants. Ergo they deserve all the flak in the world for it.
Yeah, 'cuz there is no implied force in federal warrants. The entire group of companies subject to PRISM are doing their damnedest to get some kind of transparency on the governments part in starting the program.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well I guess that's what they've got to say.

Also, you can turn off Kinect by turning the entire machine off, but that's not the default off, which is sleep mode. Otherwise it couldn't wake up when you say 'XBox'.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
"We won't allow the government to spy on you! Only we're allowed to do that!"

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
Meaning they have already been contacted and already made their decision.
Which one? Who the hell knows, i for one - shall not trust an involved party.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
"If a government wants customer data - including for national security purposes - it needs to follow applicable legal process, meaning it must serve us with a court order for content or subpoena for account information."
Isn't that the whole problem, though? That the FISA court is a total rubber stamp on top of actually following (vomitously) legal processes? I don't know that Microsoft could actually do anything in this case. Which makes it suspiciously easy to say they're going to fight this while being able to say later on that their hands were tied.