Microsoft wants to kill PC gaming

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Let's see how your Xbawks exclusive Win10 ports perform first, Microsoft. Then you can plan world domination.

All I'm seeing is some marketing buzzword crap used to boost investor confidence.

Sep 13, 2009
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is here. This sounds good for developers. Judging by Microsoft's comments in the article you linked up there, it's not going to cut anything off. Maybe if Tim Sweeney was less vague, it'd be easier to know exactly what the problem is opposed to jumping on the panic train

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, guess not upgrading to Windows 10 (disabled Windows updates entirely apart from a AMD stability patch) is finally paying off.

TheRaider

Jul 4, 2010
UWP is going to make it way way easier for indie devs to get onto xbox.

Honestly the fuss is silly. Windows will remain a platform you can run apps that aren't from the store on. They are just trying to make their store better and making windows a more generic platform.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Adam Jensen said:
One can always count on gamers to miss the forest for the trees when it comes to things like this. Very few people saw the disastrous potential of things like pre-order culture, day-one DLC, season passes, microtransactions etc. and look at the shape that games are released nowadays as a direct consequence of that. What Microsoft is doing here is just the beginning. If you're at all familiar with what Microsoft has been trying to achieve for almost a decade you'd know why "killing PC gaming" is actually very much true. They've been trying to copy Apple's business model for a long fuckin' time now and they finally found a way. But they're much worse. For fuck sake we've seen what they wanted to do with the Xbone when they initially announced it. Are you so quick to forget that? Sure you can say that it's hyperbole, but they are trying to kill PC gaming as we know it and slowly but surely turn it into closed off console-like experience controlled entirely by Microsoft.
Know how all of those "horrible" things were allowed to happen? They gave something of value to the consumer, and were subtle. What you're describing does nothing for the end user but make things more difficult. That alone means it has virtually zero chance of doing anything remotely close to "killing PC gaming".

Honestly, this is a bunch of chicken little "the end is nigh" more than anything else.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Talking about GoW, how has there not been a thread yet about how shitty the port is? Worse than Arkham Knight apparently.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Know what this seems like to me? A kinda stupid and well disguised shareholder confidence booster. From the article, its also "Microsoft could decide to", "Maybe they'll do", "They could do", and from what has been described of UWP in this thread... Its not a huge deal. Hell, the article only says "Maybe they'll ensure things can only be sold on their stores". Its just... So much nothing.

What it does do? Any MS shareholder reading this will go "Oh, Microsoft has all these options available to control the market", which may raise confidence. If they're not a fan of the shadier practices, they have Microsoft's "We're being fully open" statement to fall back on, which denies all of this, and its such a minor bit of news in terms of who's reporting it that anyone who might be scared of public outcry is likely to understand 99% of Microsoft customers won't even know its happened.

Its especially suspect coming from a developer that's worked closely with Microsoft previously. It seems pretty unlikely they'd just suddenly spill the beans on this if they're actually still in the loop enough that they'd know, as then they'd lose the trust of MS and companies like Sony and such who also couldn't trust them to keep corporate secrets, potentially making it much harder for the studio to find partners to work with in the future, for a bit of seemingly fairly minor scaremongering.
I mean, hey, maybe they're just pissy another company is making Gears of War 4 and are just throwing mud, and Microsoft isn't involved behind the scenes, but the way its been reported... Yeah. Seems like a shareholder PR stunt. Sure, MS is pretty shit to its PC customers a lot of the time, especially gamers, but there isn't really anything at present that's confirmed as happening. I'll wait until there's a bit of confirmation that any of this will actually be the case before grabbing the pitchforks, and when it is confirmed, I expect several multi billion dollar industries to be grabbing some nice pitchforks too, as it'll impact them heavily as well [Well, honestly, ATM I'm not seeing how it would, but if it somehow did end up able to affect AAA titles, you can bet your ass EA, Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft and such would want a say in it].

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
depending entirely on what these "new features" would be, it could mean almost nothing in the long run anyway...

Microsoft will try to "force" it onto people, but just like GFWL, it won't work... We'll find another way...

"DX12.1 is UWP exclusive!"
OH NOES! Guess we'll start using Vulkan then...

"UWP has cross-platform multiplayer with consoles/tablets/etc..."
OH NOES! Guess we'll just have to put up with a larger multiplayer ecosystem for better matchmaking...

"UWP requires a licence to post games/apps to"
OH NOES! Has anyone seen how GREAT Steam early access is? No? Maybe quality control could be a good thing...

And the great thing about it, is that PC gaming will still have the most open development routes because you just can't lock it down with an overly complicated ecosystem...
Microsoft may want to get in on some of this PC gaming pie, but they're already the major platform... People won't just suddenly stop buying Windows keys because UWP is the only way things can be done... (Because Linux STILL isn't compatible with 80% of everything)

Steam will still exist, Origin will keep selling games, GoG won't go away...
Calm the fuck down people, they (Microsoft) will probably hide some features behind it (read: DX12 and Win10) But do you really think they're going to make it the ONLY way to play games?
Is it even possible to make it the only way to play games?
Just think about that for a sec

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Bob_McMillan said:
Talking about GoW, how has there not been a thread yet about how shitty the port is? Worse than Arkham Knight apparently.
It is? Runs flawlessy on my PC.

Jan 19, 2016
There are still a lot of unknowns and "what ifs" at the moment, but with past history as a guide, it's not unreasonable to assume that Microsoft will at some point attempt to implement some anti-consumer and borderline illegal practices into Win10, it's just their MO.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
This was debunked yesterday but whatever... Sensationalism!!!

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/705795213709561857

Tim Sweeney also kind of flip flopped on the issue in a reply to Phil Spencer.

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/705802742883864576

Anyway, I understand the sentiment, I find it really hard to believe Microsoft as well, I want to, but their track record regarding PC gaming is atrocious, and it hard to pretend not to see that XBox One is a failure and Microsoft attempting to mend relations with a booming PC gaming community.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Bilious Green said:
There are still a lot of unknowns and "what ifs" at the moment, but with past history as a guide, it's not unreasonable to assume that Microsoft will at some point attempt to implement some anti-consumer and borderline illegal practices into Win10, it's just their MO.
It's not 1995 anymore. Microsoft isn't that company anymore.

I think the over-reaction to this is pretty hilarious.

I'm an advocate for Microsoft products, but I'm also a realist. The Universal Windows Platform isn't going to go anywhere; this was the exact same thing Gaben brought up right around Windows 8's release, and it's being brought up again now, but regardless of the success of the platform...

I don't believe Microsoft has stipulated any type of exclusivity to the UWP app platform. The idea is the opposite, infact. So I suspect most publishers, if not all, will release Steam versions alongside Windows 10 UWP, if they release UWP versions at all. Obviously Microsoft is investing in the UWP platform, it makes sense for them to focus development there, and not on the legacy Win32 platform, but I'm not sure what these alleged amazing new features are that will tip it over the edge.

Certainly none of the well respected Microsoft watchers have anything to say in that regard.

The Windows Store isn't locked down anymore than the Google Play store, or the Apple App Store, or even Origin or Steam as far as I can tell, who all, by the way, take a cut, too.

The bigger deal for me is that AAA games on the Windows Store are actually a much inferior experience compared to Steam as it stands, so, there's literally nothing to fear anyway. Nobody is going to buy these games anyway.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Strelok said:

Anyway, I understand the sentiment, I find it really hard to believe Microsoft as well, I want to, but their track record regarding PC gaming is atrocious, and it hard to pretend not to see that XBox One is a failure and Microsoft attempting to mend relations with a booming PC gaming community.
Its never really that amazing to me that people knee-jerk hate on Microsoft because of a news article that mentions them. I've been a Microsoft user for my whole PC life, and there's been times where I do hate the choices they've made with products and OS'es. However my experiences on the whole have been more positive than negative, whereas my experiences with other OS'es, especially where games are concerned, have been more on the negative.
It makes me feel like half of the anti-MS sentiment is simply aimed at them due to their status as an industry giant and corporation.
Honestly though, I've noticed that the gaming world are extremely short on objective viewpoints and high on knee-jerk reactionary positions with little-to-no research on whether or not a news piece is accurate.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I suspect the UWP is the reason why the Windows Store games thus far, don't have advanced graphics options such as Crossfire or SLI, it's because mobile devices, and the Xbone, only have 1 graphics processor. Universal is only as powerful as it's weakest component.

Considering the restrictions of the format, I don't see a lot of developers clamouring to make their titles UWP exclusives.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Poetic Nova said:
Well, guess not upgrading to Windows 10 (disabled Windows updates entirely apart from a AMD stability patch) is finally paying off.
This seems like a weird way for it to "pay off." Given we're talking about a dubious story with no details of the ambiguous "threat" to PC gaming that was brought up in a sensationalist way. Maybe we should wait until there's more details before jumping to...

Strelok said:

Oh. It's already been debunked. That especially puts the "why isn't The Escapist covering this question into perspective.

Still, these are serious allegations, and I'm sure Tim Sweeney had some solid grounds to...

Oh. Not only does he seem to be backtracking, he basically admits he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Can we at least wait until Microsoft does something bad before we crucify them?

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Its never really that amazing to me that people knee-jerk hate on Microsoft because of a news article that mentions them.
It's not exactly like they're alone in this regard, though. Especially, it seems, in gaming circles.