Microsoft Wants You to Test Internet Explorer on Your Xbox

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Microsoft Wants You to Test Internet Explorer on Your Xbox

The Xbox team is looking for beta testers for the next Xbox Live update.

Are you super excited to surf the web on your Xbox 360? Well, it's your lucky day, because sign-ups for the public beta of the next Xbox Live update have just begun. Simply head over here [http://mjr.mn/2012XboxPublicBeta], fill out a brief survey, and you could be selected as a beta tester, which means you'll get to check out the new dashboard update before all of your friends.

In addition to bringing Internet Explorer to the Xbox 360, the update also features personalized dashboard recommendations and improved search functionality. The Xbox team is hoping for feedback from users on what works and what needs improvement, so if you're picked for the beta, your praise and criticism will be vital to the process.

There's no word on when the public beta actually begins, but if you're picked, the update will be automatically pushed to your console once it kicks off. Only a limited number of testers will be invited into the beta, so if you're really anxious to use the internet on your Xbox 360, sign up quickly.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2012/07/26/2012-xbox-live-update-public-beta-now-available/]

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Hahahaha, this is a joke right?
Internet Explorer? Really?

The PS3's internet browser may be a bit lacking, but at least it isn't Internet Explorer. It's a good job MS is beta testing this first, because it's going to start out very rough.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
But... But WHY? What possible reason could you have for wanting a browser on a 360? Typing ANYTHING on a console tends to be painfully laborious, and URLs would likely be even more annoying than usernames.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
GenGenners said:
Hahahaha, this is a joke right?
Internet Explorer? Really?
Oh great, too late.

OT: Yes, Internet Explorer sucks but people, just calm down. We all know OPRAH sucks even worse, and the Wii uses that for its internet.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
How are they just now doing this? Way to be late to the game. Dreamcast had an internet browser for Christ's sake. Also... why would you want to browse the internet with a controller?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Whilst the new version of IE isn't horrific, I still prefer Chrome. Can we have that on the xbox? Didn't think so, somehow.

Also, this will never catch on unless those keypad things for the controllers get a hell of a lot cheaper. Or if USB keyboards can be used. I have no idea of that already works or not.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Microsoft stop trying to be relative in the browser market. Safari, Chrome and Firefox are what people use. Stick to OS's, and try not to create another windows vista fiasco.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
IE on xbox: Because getting your XBL account hacked wasn't easy enough already.

Actually, it's probably much ado about nothing, because by the time it's fully released no one will be able to find anything on their xbox except advertisements anyway.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
I still don't like that consoles has to have internets, they are just supposed to play games and if that don't work then you blow on them untill it does work.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Hmm, I was sorta hoping they'd reverse some of the choices they made in UI design, but this just sounds like the addition of browser functionality. Meh...maybe some of that will come up in the beta.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
According to that link the invitation is no longer available.

"Either the program is full or the invitation cannot be used by any additional people"

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I'm very surprised to learn that it didn't have internet browsing capabilities so far. Even the PSP has that ability.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Tiger Sora said:
Microsoft stop trying to be relative in the browser market. Safari, Chrome and Firefox are what people use. Stick to OS's, and try not to create another windows vista fiasco.
>Points to Windows 8 design

Too late.

OT: This is PATHETICALLY desperate. Seriously, Microsoft, stop trying to get people to use IE. It's garbage. Nobody wants to use it. That will never change.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Tell you what, Microsoft. You pay for the X-Box and I'll use the Exploror.

(FYI: I already use Explorer. I just don't wanna spend the damn money.)

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Terminate421 said:
OT: Yes, Internet Explorer sucks but people, just calm down. We all know OPRAH sucks even worse, and the Wii uses that for its internet.
What's so bad about Opera? I've heard some pretty positive things about it from one of the three people in the world that actually uses it.

Frankly, all five major browsers (including both Opera and Internet Explorer 9) are pretty decent. Previous versions of Internet Explorer, however, where sadistic torture devices for web developers; so in my opinion people should, for the next 50 years, punish Microsoft for abominations such as IE6 by not using any version of Internet Explorer for any other purpose than downloading a different browser.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
The web has already passed it's judgement on your shitty web browser Microsoft, to continue to pretend anyone that's over 60 willingly wants to use it is denial!