Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want"

Microsoft's Major Nelson claims they listen to feedback "every single day."

By now, it's safe to say that Microsoft hasn't had the smoothest of console reveals when it comes to marketing the Xbox One. While the company has Speaking to Canada.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED], Xbox Live director of programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb claims they want to adapt the Xbox One to "what gamers want."

When we look back and look at what we've done, we want to continue to adapt the system to what gamers want. The team that works on Xbox are gamers themselves. We want to build the system that we use and that we know gamers would enjoy using.

Hryb follows that up by saying they're going to "continue to refine the system and make it what the Xbox fans are expecting," and adds that Microsoft is listening to feedback "every single day."

In the same interview, Hryb speaks out about Microsoft's entertainment focus with the Xbox One and states, "There's no reason why you can't have an extremely powerful game console that also does entertainment. Why does there have to be an 'and or?' We need to be able to have something that's both...Why not design a system that can handle that as well, and switch between the two."

Are you happy with how Microsoft has listened to consumers so far? What other changes do you want to see in the future for the Xbox One?

Source: Canada.com [http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/microsoft-is-committed-to-improving-the-xbox-one/]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Pfft! Gamers working on microsoft xbone? If that was true, they wouldnt have started with so many highly strung restrictions. They know theyre fighting for the metaphorical business scraps now the ps4 has gained gamers trust. So now theyre sweet talking us before they slip that pill in our drink

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Pfft! Gamers working on microsoft xbone? If that was true, they wouldnt have started with so many highly strung restrictions. They know theyre fighting for the metaphorical business scraps now the ps4 has gained gamers trust. So now theyre sweet talking us before they slip that pill in our drink
The PS4 has not gained my trust, Sony has not had my trust since the day it was reported that they were putting rootkits into their products or lying to consumers about hacks and loss of personal data. But you are so eager to drink these companies piss by the sweet talking you are being told by a company that "gained gamer trust." Read this article and then tell me u trust Sony fully http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games/1100-6401992/

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
How 'bout a replaceable standard SATA hard drive that does not have ridiculous markup, since installing 30 GB games will fill the 300 GB of open space in a short time. Also, no one wants to pay $100 more for peripheral that they will never use. We'll have to wait for a hardware revision for the former, but the latter can be done right now.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
EffectiveKill said:
The PS4 has not gained my trust, Sony has not had my trust since the day it was reported that they were putting rootkits into their products or lying to consumers about hacks and loss of personal data. But you are so eager to drink these companies piss by the sweet talking you are being told by a company that "gained gamer trust." Read this article and then tell me u trust Sony fully http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games/1100-6401992/
You do realize that filing a patent doesn't mean that they are going to implement it right? It just makes it so that no other company can use any tech that's included in the patent. It's been done numerous times by many companies, Apple being the biggest one. Hell Sony filed a similar patent back in 2005 for the PS3, and the PS3 didn't block used games. While yes it's worrying that they've patented it, there are so many things that are patented every day just so that no one else can ever us it in the future.

OT: Well, some games for the thing would be nice, oh and also stop with the peripheral stuff when it comes to mics.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Alex Co said:
Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want".
"Turn this into a woman." - Cat, Red Dwarf

I don't think the Xbone is up to the challenge, matey.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Why does there have to be an 'and or?' We need to be able to have something that's both...Why not design a system that can handle that as well, and switch between the two."
'cos unless you're a phone or a pc, not specializing in one thing makes you suck. If you gear everything towards one goal then it will work better than the one that is trying to be 2 or more different things.

Ps4 is games and socializing and I think if it fucked off the socializing bit it would be a much better machine, make stuff run more smoothly than trying to constantly record or stop telling me what I have done in killzone or that 16K people have "liked" killzone.

Just give me something powerful that can play games ... shut up, my gaming PC is a brick and I am saving for a new one.

The xbone wants to socialize, watch tv, record you, record gameplay, swap between apps, play games, do your taxes, wash the car, walk the dog ... it's got no focus, it's more of a shotgun than a sniper rifle.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
EndlessSporadic said:
Games. We want games.
BUT I NEED SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTS, AND TV AND SPORTS, and multi tasking, and sports , and kintect, and sports did i mention sports

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Let's cover a few things I want
1. An xbone without the kinect, stop forcing it on people, besides without the kinect you could lower the price to compete with Sony
2. No more installs, this was always a huge perk of console gaming, no picking harddrives, no installing, just insert disc and play.
3. Backwards compatibility, your fans have been asking for this for quite a while

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I can think of SEVERAL things people have vocally been asking to get addressed Microsoft has been ignoring.

1. Backwards compatibility comes to mind
2. Locking free services behind their Xbox Live paywall (Youtube, Netflix, Skype)
3. Cluttering up their dashboard with MASSIVE amounts of ads (and making the interface a pain to navigate, especially trying to find indie games)
4. A terrible D-pad in need of fixing (the transforming one helps, but is not the solution)
5. Making Kinect still a mandatory inclusion for the Xbone
6. Saddling their first-party games in ungodly amounts of microtransactions
7. Xbox Marketplace prices are miserably higher than almost anywhere else
8. ... and Xbox Marketplace rarely gets any sales apart from the holiday season.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Maybe they should have developed the Xbox One in to what gamers want. That being said, kudos to them for their attempted integration of all home media in to one source. It doesn't appeal to me but it's still an interesting concept.

And to somewhat even the playing field, the PS4 didn't have an amazing launch either.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Alex Co said:
Are you happy with how Microsoft has listened to consumers so far? What other changes do you want to see in the future for the Xbox One?
I want them to stop bribing publishers to make their games exclusive to the console. (The same goes for Sony.)

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
What do lots of Xbox gamers want? The same thing they already had -- an Xbox 360, only with more games. Newer, better games all the time. Games you control with a controller that you operate with your fingers and thumbs. Games you can play right off a disk (or a USB stick even) or games you can download electronically.

That stuff was working just fine without the Kinect, without Netflix, without the Internet, without anything else.

What do other Xbox gamers want? A quantum leap forward in gaming. Something that combines the Oculus Rift for VR style immersion, the Kinect for gross motor control and the Wii's Wiimote and nunchuck for fine control and menus.

What we got was a smart TV with no screen that also plays video games a little bit better than a 360 and includes a crappy netbook's ability to paw through part of the Internet on your TV. Also you can talk to it, though your language isn't its first language.

You hear that, Microsoft?

--Morology!

PS: Of course they didn't hear that. Nor do they actually care. Larry Hyrb is a PR man doing PR on the end of a leash. Believe him like you'd believe anything else a PR man from another company would tell you.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
DLNA Support would be nice, Microsoft. Still have no idea why it was taken out of both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, when the previous consoles had it. Especially when both are looking to be more than just games consoles with all the various apps and shit. That and the games on Games on Demand actually being a reasonable bloody price. Although, actually that applies more to the Xbox 360.

Besides that, I'm quite chuffed with the Xbox One. Decent range of good games for a system that's just launched. But you need to keep those good games coming too. And the Kinect stuff is surprisingly a lot better than I expected it to be.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It seems as though the reporter forgot the end of the quote.

Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want", as long as that is TV
It's also all bullshit. Gamers have been asking to not have a kinect, but it's still there. Costing an extra $100 and doing nothing of value.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'm gonna go with the fallowing...

*points at the ... every thing before last gen* See that? THAT is what, in spirit anyway, what gamers want. A video game console that puts games first and above everything else. No gimicy bull shit, not bullshit systems to get between the player and the game, just plug, play, enjoy