Microsoft Windows VP Set To Take Control of Xbox One

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Windows VP Set To Take Control of Xbox One

Julie Larson-Green, the head of Microsoft's Windows division, is expected to be named the new head of the company's hardware division.

The name departure [http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/exec/larsongreen/default.aspx] of Xbox boss Don Mattrick.

Larson-Green won't be assuming Mattrick's post as president of the company's Interactive Entertainment Business - that position is currently being filled on a temporary basis by CEO Steve Ballmer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125613-Microsoft-CEO-Steve-Ballmer-Takes-Control-Of-Xbox-Division] - but is instead expected to take over Microsoft's hardware division, which would include overseeing the development of the Xbox consoles. Prior to his departure, Mattrick was also being considered for the position.

Larson-Green, who joined Microsoft in 1993, led the user interface design team for Microsoft Office XP, 2003 and 2007, and also served as the corporate vice president of Windows Experience for Windows 7, leading the design and development of the Windows 7 operating system.

The restructuring that would see Larson-Green ascend Microsoft's hardware throne hasn't been finalized and CEO Steve Ballmer may make more changes before anything is made official. Microsoft is pushing hard to gain ground in the mobile and tablet market; the restructuring will see an increased focus on those areas and will also separate product engineering from other aspects of the business.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-02/microsoft-ceo-said-to-give-bates-mergers-role-in-revamp.html]

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
It's good they openly advertise this.

So if this generation of Xbox's has a RRoD issue the same as the last (or another Hardware issue), at least the people know who to shout and scream at.

And Microsoft nicely have a patsy to fire.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Wait... XP... and Windows 7.... SO she made products people wanted and they worked properly?

I can see the tiniest sliver of a minuscule hope that the Xbone will not be a total piece of shit.... OR they will ignore her and she will quit before they blame it failing on her.... Like her predecessor...

Also my wife looked over and said "you looking at ladies in business wear pron again? Lemme see" No honey just more Xbone news " like I said" -_-

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know who she is, but every time I hear about a woman in tech industry it always turns out to be good. Apparently tech girls are awesome. She might do good things with the new Xbox.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So they're putting one of the monsters behind Windows 7 in charge?
*Shakes head disapprovingly*

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, good luck to her.

Although they still need a dedicated Xbox head, if I read this right. Get Moore or Allard, MS.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Eh, I still won't hold my breath.

Ever since Bill Gates officially retired from MS, things have been going downhill. And lets face it, MS office 07 didn't have the best of welcomes.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I have a feeling that she won't do much for the Xbone(too late for that), but will be working more with tablets and phones.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
slash2x said:
Wait... XP... and Windows 7.... SO she made products people wanted and they worked properly?

I can see the tiniest sliver of a minuscule hope that the Xbone will not be a total piece of shit.... OR they will ignore her and she will quit before they blame it failing on her.... Like her predecessor...

Also my wife looked over and said "you looking at ladies in business wear pron again? Lemme see" No honey just more Xbone news " like I said" -_-
Office XP, not Windows XP.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Well, I wish her the best of luck. She created one of the only decent Win OS's, AND a version of Office that didn't piss me off? Kudos to her!

Also, God help her, for the uphill battle she is likely to face promoting this nonsense (Win 8-like, needless Kinect spying, AND threat of DRM in the undefined future...YAY...).

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
slash2x said:

She is quite the fox, I'll be honest.

Er, Julie Larson-Green, that is. Not your wife... I mean she probably is a fox too - your wife is an attractive lady. Not that I'm making a play at her-

The point is that Julie does not look like your stereotypical female CEO.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Let us hope and pray she is ready for the task ahead. I'm sure the Xbox guys are already ogling her and thus thinking less of a pretty lady working with tech. Let's see if she can turn the possible train wreck of PR around for MS. Or at least make what people are calling "Xbone" into something more desirable. A new head usually bring new ideas and thoughts. So with her we might see something that the old Prez refused to look at or consider. It sounds silly to say, but "Don't judge by her past." It's an indicator, yes, but people have a way of surprising you. Well, people change or just aren't 100% predictable. There's always that X factor or some variable we miss.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
You mean I now have a name to that atrocious Windows 8 design decision? Cool, I'll go stick with PS4.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
Well we can safely say: At least she didn't work on Windows 8.
She did oversee Office 2007.

You know, the Ribbon interface one.

SmilingJohn

Jul 4, 2013
JokerboyJordan said:
Well we can safely say: At least she didn't work on Windows 8.
I am afraid she did work on Windows 8.

Since 1993, Larson-Green has worked on and led some of the most successful products for Microsoft, including the user experiences for early versions of Internet Explorer, and helped drive the thinking behind the refresh of the user experience for Microsoft Office. For Windows 7 and Windows 8 she was responsible for program management, user interface design and research, as well as development of all international releases.
source:
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/12/microsofts-windows-president-steven-sinofsky-leaves-company-following-launch-of-windows-8/