Microsoft Word non-commercial use

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Okay, nobody seems to know the answer to this, and Google's been no help at all, so I'm turning to you guys. I've got the Home edition of Office 2007 and in the title bar for Word it says 'non-commercial use'.

My question is, if I write a novel using this package and get it published, is that illegal?

Titanguy654

Jul 14, 2009
Well, a lawyer will tell you that everything is illegal. However, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I think it means that it's not for companies to use, but i'm in no way sure.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
I wouldn't worry, even if it is. When you're finished just copy and paste the content into a word processor that does allow commercial use. Problem solved.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Alright, thanks everyone. I didn't think there'd be too much of a problem, but I figured it would be better to check.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
scnj said:
Okay, nobody seems to know the answer to this, and Google's been no help at all, so I'm turning to you guys. I've got the Home edition of Office 2007 and in the title bar for Word it says 'non-commercial use'.

My question is, if I write a novel using this package and get it published, is that illegal?
as far as i understand the issue of "non-commercial use" you would fall under "non-commercial" if you wrote a novel

however if you want to be guilt free and use a program that will allow you to write a novel no questions ask, i'll say use open office

http://openoffice.org

it's free as in speech and beer

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
"non-commercial" refers to businesses using it and what not. No it's not a problem if by some amazing minute chance you are one of 2 people who get published each year.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Well since I doubt you are a corporation, you should be just fine. It basically means that you can't use it in a business setting. Writing a novel falls outside the range where if you were using it at work to write a memo or stockpile reports that would be illegal (technically of course).

lenin_117

Nov 16, 2008
megapenguinx said:
Well since I doubt you are a corporation, you should be just fine. SNIP .
Thats what they want you to think! He IS a corporation, I can feel it in my waters!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
lenin_117 said:
megapenguinx said:
Well since I doubt you are a corporation, you should be just fine. SNIP .
Thats what they want you to think! He IS a corporation, I can feel it in my waters!
No! My evil plan has been revealed to all! Damn you Lenin! Damn yooooooooou!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Merteg said:
Your planning on getting a novel published?

Do tell.
Um. Sort of, I guess. I write as more of a hobby than anything else and I'm working on an original sci-fi novel, a Star Wars fanfic and a Fallout horror fanfic. I mainly do it for enjoyment, but if I finish the original novel, I might look into getting it published.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Unless you have the toolbar from it in the novel, it should not be illegal. Also do not put "Made in Microsoft Word" on bottom.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
scnj said:

Icon love. The world needs more Megabyte.

eggcarrier

May 29, 2009
It just means that the program itself is not to be used in a production enviroment. The same is true of other programs too, for instance we have Photoshop CS2 on one of our Macs which was for educational use. We also have a bunch of IT software for educational use on our PC.

Where this comes in is if you were to say use the serial code for the disc you got to image the program over a business network that would be considered commercial use, and that would violate the terms of use for the program. You see, it's more to do with the context of the program than what is actually being written on it.

Since you're only using the home edition to write something from home, it doesn't matter if you're using the commercial or non-commercial version or not.

If you were a high time writer who makes their living sitting around in a cushy office frantically writing your next big hit for Large Publishing Buracracy X, then you might be falling into the proper definition, but by then, hopefully you wouldn't be paying for your own MS Office Suite.

Anyway hope that helps abit.

shanedurgee

Aug 23, 2009
I just noticed the "non-commercial use" in the title bar of my novel as well. It's fine because my novel is already being published, but I had a little fear that the non-commercial use thing might show up in the documents I send out and therefore look highly unprofessional or something.

I don't think that's the case. I think if someone opens your document with a commercial version of Word, that it will no longer have the "non-commercial use" tag. That is, it has to do with the version of word you're using to view the document, not the document itself. Not %100 sure about that though.

Good luck with the book.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I think some people have a mis-conception about "commercial use". Commercial use is production for profit. You don't have to be a corporation. If you publish it, for monies, it is commercial use.

In the Adobe comparison someone brought up; I could buy a copy of student edition Premiere, I could use it in a class learning it, or make my own home videos that I wouldn't be selling or anything like that. I could use it to edit my wedding video or a friend's wedding video. As soon as I have used it to edit someone's wedding video, and they pay me to do it, it has become commercial use and I have broken the ToS/EULA/Faustian Deal.

Will anyone catch you for it? I doubt it since it doesn't watermark documents like that... as far as I know. Also, any profit you'd make on a novel is beans to Microsoft and not worth the cost of lawyers. However, you are still technically using it for commerce.

EDIT: What Microsoft has to say (Googled: non-commercial use office)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937676