Microsoft Working to Make Xbox One DLNA-Compatible, Will Play CDs

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Microsoft Working to Make Xbox One DLNA-Compatible, Will Play CDs

Microsoft's Xbox One is battling it out with the PS4 in available features.

Following the release of Sony's PS4 Ultimate FAQ, which revealed the PS4 would not support the DLNA functionality [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129167-Sony-Releases-Ultimate-FAQ-for-PS4-No-Support-for-External-Hard-Drives] that allows users to stream media from other devices, Microsoft confirmed the Xbox One will be DLNA-compatible, but the company is still working on getting the console DLNA-certified. The Xbox One will also support audio CD playback, a feature the PS4 does not have.

Using DLNA, the Xbox One will act as a receiver and will stream content from support devices, such as Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 computers and "many Windows phones," Microsoft spokespeople told Polygon in a statement.

The console also plays audio CDs, but it does not support CD-ripping, a feature the Xbox 360 has. You also can't play MP3 or AAC audio files from devices like an iPod or Windows Phone over USB.

The PS3 supports media streaming and audio CD playback. To play music on the PS4, Sony suggests users get a Twitter [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect10], "Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I'll share with the pS4 Dev team for future consideration." So, it's possible these features will at some point be added to the PS4.

Microsoft has not released an FAQ similar to Sony's, so there are still many details unknown about the Xbox One. Sony plans to continue updating its PS4 FAQ.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/1/5056280/xbox-one-supports-dlna-compatibility-audio-cd-playback-microsoft]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ahh, the great joys of proprietary systems.
Restricting simple features that anyone with Winamp has had access to for over a decade (free) so they can sell or offer an equivalent, more restricted service.

Oh, but I forgot that all the cool kids use "The Cloud" now. Clearly it's so good that it can eliminate other sensible options by default.

ALL PRAISE TO "THE CLOUD"! *snickers*

loa

Jan 28, 2012
No mp3s per usb drive but... audio CDs?
Who even uses those anymore?
I haven't heard a CD hum in a drive for more than 3 minutes since... 2005?

Also I can stream from my PC to my TV just fine by freaking plugging it into the TV.
I don't even need a special cable anymore because it is no longer the year 2000.
Everything nowadays has HDMI output and input.

Also a subscription to enable hearing music?
***** please...

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but seriously Sony? No MP3 or CD support whatsoever? Unless your Music Unlimited has Cyrilthewolf and every other indie / youtube / brony musician on it (which constitutes at least 80% of what I listen to these days, and that's low-balling it), then it's all but worthless to me.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You know, I remember a time when game consoles were mainly about playing games and not all this extra bullshit. Whatever happened to that?

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
You know, I remember a time when game consoles were mainly about playing games and not all this extra bullshit. Whatever happened to that?
Odd how that works, huh?

Gamers: Jesus Sony, can you just focus on it playing games and not on the other frivolous shit?
Sony: Sure thing gamers, here you go.
Gamers: Oh my god Sony, what did you do?! Why can't I play music now?! Don't you know it's only the 4th or 5th device in my living room that can play music?!
Sony: ...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Is... this really a pressing issue? Being able to use your console as an MP3 player or... a stereo? Are there really some people who'd get so pissy to not be able to hear their music play off of every machine they touch? Toasters, blenders, watches, electric power tools, flash lights, air conditioners, floor buffer, ect. what ever happened to playing music on devices that were designed to play music on? The average American citizen probably isn't more then arms length away from some device that can play music at any given time. Plug a single ear bud in and play the damn game if thats what you really want, or both ears. the desire to drown out the game's music and audio to substitute your own would still be there.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Quiotu said:
canadamus_prime said:
Odd how that works, huh?

Gamers: Jesus Sony, can you just focus on it playing games and not on the other frivolous shit?
Gamers: Oh my god Sony, what did you do?! Why can't I play music now?! Don't you know it's only the 4th or 5th device in my living room that can play music?!
No kidding. Like do we really care that the PS4 is DLNABCDEFG compatible? I mean if you're going to be buying the damn thing what are you buying it for? Are you buying it to play games or are you buying to so you can have a glorified stereo system? If you just want to play music from your iPod aren't there docks for that or Bluetoothe speaker systems that are much cheaper than a PS4 or XBox Done?

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Okay, for that reason should I care? I am slipping towards streaming services and digital files, if I wanted to play a CD, I could use my PC, stereo, and DVD player before I even consider playing an audio CD on any console. But while your at it Microsoft, why don't you make the XBone play VHS, cassette tapes, vinyl records, and laser disk?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
You know kids, there was a time when you just bought games consoles to play games.

Vanbael said:
Okay, for that reason should I care? I am slipping towards streaming services and digital files, if I wanted to play a CD, I could use my PC, stereo, and DVD player before I even consider playing an audio CD on any console. But while your at it Microsoft, why don't you make the XBone play VHS, cassette tapes, vinyl records, and laser disk?
Yeah, good point. This all seems like a pointless battle in my eyes. How many people out there buy CDs still? Surely not the kinds of people that play games? Heck, regarding films, it's all about streaming these days. A monthly subscription is basically the same price as buying a single DVD/ Blu-ray.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
roseofbattle said:
The Xbox One will also support audio CD playback, a feature the PS4 does not have.
Wow, a point in Microsoft's favor, what's this, a grand total of two now?

roseofbattle said:
The console also plays audio CDs, but it does not support CD-ripping, a feature the Xbox 360 has. You also can't play MP3 or AAC audio files from devices like an iPod or Windows Phone over USB.
Never mind!

Seriously, why are both consoles rushing to remove features now? I loved being able to create a custom playlist for my hack-and-slash games on the 360, and I assumed they were going to improve, rather than remove, that this gen?

Kalezian said:
Even then there were some games that could use your music as part of the game.

Easy example, Boom boom Rocket, where it was a rhythm game that would for the most part change gameplay to best fit the music you were playing.

More advanced example, WWE '11 or '12 had a create a wrestler, as do they all, but the added ability to make a custom intro movie and use one of your songs you have on the 360 as your intro song.
See, that's the sorta stuff I'm talking about. Imagine if they expanded this to all games, and you could pick combat music, victory music and exploration music, wouldn't that be neat?

Ah well...

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
canadamus_prime said:
Quiotu said:
canadamus_prime said:
Odd how that works, huh?

No kidding. Like do we really care that the PS4 is DLNABCDEFG compatible? I mean if you're going to be buying the damn thing what are you buying it for? Are you buying it to play games or are you buying to so you can have a glorified stereo system? If you just want to play music from your iPod aren't there docks for that or Bluetoothe speaker systems that are much cheaper than a PS4 or XBox Done?
This 3 comments pretty much sum up my thought processes on the matter. Sure it's cool to import your own music to a game, but in most cases I've turned the game music down (in options menu) and playing tunes on my computer. As for streaming game to computer I could care less. Just keep to the games Sony, you're not going to please everyone, but you will make MOST people happy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Arawn said:
canadamus_prime said:
Quiotu said:
canadamus_prime said:
Odd how that works, huh?

This 3 comments pretty much sum up my thought processes on the matter. Sure it's cool to import your own music to a game, but in most cases I've turned the game music down (in options menu) and playing tunes on my computer. As for streaming game to computer I could care less. Just keep to the games Sony, you're not going to please everyone, but you will make MOST people happy.
Yeah I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't want a games console for playing music, or watching TV, or browsing the Internet, or anything else that's not playing games.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
The headline's wrong, it should read "Petty console war continues as Microsoft attempts to cram in missing PS4 features at last minute". Talk about transparent. That said it seems Sony were previously more than happy to have always online DRM (which will be removed as part of the day one update they now have planned)- EDIT: this has been confirmed as false, oops - so I guess what I'm trying to say is screw next gen consoles.

Mp3/ CD playback is unbelieavbly basic these days as is backwards compatibility with most previous consoles (excluding PS3 with its 'unorthodox' design), why on earth are these simple features suddenly considered some kind of upgrade? As far as games for XBone and PS4 go there's precious little to get excited about currently and if that's literally all you can expect to do with these consoles then where's the incentive to spend hundreds of pounds getting one?! There's maybe 30-40 new games that will be available at launch between both consoles and not one that I think would look or perform significantly worse on current gen consoles. Compare that to the PC upgrade I could get for that money and there's a huge difference in the number of new (to me at least) games I would suddenly be able to play, plus I wouldn't have to £50 a game.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Battenberg said:
The headline's wrong, it should read "Petty console war continues as Microsoft attempts to cram in missing PS4 features at last minute". Talk about transparent. That said it seems Sony were previously more than happy to have always online DRM (which will be removed as part of the day one update they now have planned) so I guess what I'm trying to say is screw next gen consoles.

Mp3/ CD playback is unbelieavbly basic these days as is backwards compatibility with most previous consoles (excluding PS3 with its 'unorthodox' design), why on earth are these simple features suddenly considered some kind of upgrade? As far as games for XBone and PS4 go there's precious little to get excited about currently and if that's literally all you can expect to do with these consoles then where's the incentive to spend hundreds of pounds getting one?! There's maybe 30-40 new games that will be available at launch between both consoles and not one that I think would look or perform significantly worse on current gen consoles. Compare that to the PC upgrade I could get for that money and there's a huge difference in the number of new (to me at least) games I would suddenly be able to play, plus I wouldn't have to £50 a game.
Err PS4 does not have an always online requirement and never did. The day 1 patch is optional, you can go home, turn the system on and play games if you so desire. What the patch does is add the online features (which you have to be online to use funny enough...) and activate the movie playback. That's far different from xbox One not working offline at all without the day one patch.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Arawn said:
canadamus_prime said:
Quiotu said:
canadamus_prime said:
Odd how that works, huh?

To me what bugs me is that they are removing basic as shit features that are actually somewhat cool (for what probably takes to implement) while creating a complicated replacement system that has a paywall to still take time to create other meaningless shit, for example, a "like system" in their video sharing social stuff.

The whole "remember that free thing that you could do in whatever way you wanted? Well, now you cant unless you pay us and we will give you something that isnt exactly as open as what you already had" is somewhat retarded in restrospective and even though I didnt really used such features its almost insulting that they can do this.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Quiotu said:
canadamus_prime said:
Odd how that works, huh?

I believe there was a time when the company's had to decide what would be the most sensible thing to do.

It's good to cater to many, but this does seem rather pointless now.