Microsoft: Xbox One Launch Line-Up Best "in Console History"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Microsoft: Xbox One Launch Line-Up Best "in Console History"

Microsoft's Phil Harrison believes the Xbox One has the strongest launch-line up of any console ever made.

While the Xbox One was unveiled to some pretty harsh criticism regarding some of its features and policies, it still earned praise for some of the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/7657-Titanfall-Breaks-E3-Awards-Record>games attached to it. Perhaps recognizing that as one of the console's strong points Microsoft's Phil Harrison recently spent some time talking up its launch line-up. "Ultimately it's the games that make Xbox One stand out," said Harrison. "We have the best line-up of games -we think- in the history of consoles."

It's a big proclamation backed by some big name titles. The Xbox One, at its release, will have a confirmed own launch. Ironically, Sony also claimed the PS4's line-up to be one of the strongest ever, though it at least limited its wording to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123530-Sony-Claims-PS4-Launch-Line-Up-Strongest-in-PlayStation-History>PlayStation history.

Grandiose statements aside, gamers do have quite a few quality titles to look forward to at the Xbox One's launch. That said, we're not sure we'd call it the best ever. Granted, it's a topic that's fairly subjective depending on individual tastes. That said, whereas previous consoles might have launched with only a few games, many arguably packed more oomph than the libraries being offered by the Xbox One and PS4. What do you guys think? Is the Xbox One making history or will its launch be more of a footnote in the story of the game industry?

Source: CVG

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is both the greatest launch generation for both the One and the PS4 and also the most gentle. Those things are related, publishers have realised they can multiplatform between generations and gradually shift over as more people buy the new consoles. But this means they can invest in great games without being worried about having only 1/70th of the market

I think out of the two, the PS4 might have the slightly stronger launch because of the sheer wealth of indie titles they've attracted. Otherwise they're pretty much equal on actual games (although as a sony fanboy I'm more attached to the sony franchises of course)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, I was going to say something along the lines of "Cool your jets, Mr Harrison" but he may have a point. I can't think of any previous line-up that was particularly amazing.

Admittedly I couldn't remember much previous to the N64/Playstation, as I wasn't born yet, or just too young to remember it.

Personally, I'd say I prefer the Xbox One's line-up compared to the PS4's but that's just my tastes.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
After looking at both lists, I wouldn't say "In History" is warranted. They should have done like Sony. Rather solid and safe releases. Action, FPS, Sports and Racing! I'm not seeing too much innovation between the two. Most of the games coming out are multi-platform. Their exclusives are fewer than the whole. If either system wants to dominate they need to make themselves different. I'll wait for more Indie games. Final note: where the are the RPGS? Yeah, I know games have RPG elements, but I want a full on RPG with sweeping story and hours upon hours of gameplay and exploration.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well of course. Whatever they did or didn't do wrong from E3 up to now, they've always had a secret weapon up their sleeve that assures they'll beat Sony at launch.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Congratulations, Microsoft. I never thought anyone could launch with better games than Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, or Sonic Adventure, but you've managed it. With such QTEs masterpieces as Ryse: Son of Rome I will never have to play a classic game again.

P.S. ARE YOU SERIOUS???? Every single must-have game on your launch list is also going to be on PS4 or PC. The only thing that really stands out here is Dead Rising 3. Even your other exclusives are an on-rails shooter and a fighting game that only comes with one character. I honestly feel like the GameCube had a better launch than this, solely by merit of Luigi's Mansion, which was better than every single launch game you've got except possibly Watch Dogs. Hell, even your own Xbox had a better launch than this back in 2001, with Halo, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, and Fuzion Frenzy. You may have the most AAA games in console-launch history, but that by no means makes this the best launch line-up; none of these AAA games are anything special (again, except possibly Watch Dogs).

P.P.S. Thanks

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Quality over quantity, Grasshopper. Yeah, you may have an impressive number of launch titles, but what happens if it turns out that only the multiplatform games are worth playing? For my money, Ryse looks pretty boring, Crimson Dragon reminds me too much of Lair, Killer Instinct is just one more fighting game I'll never play, and Dead Rising 3 looks to be missing the point of the previous entries. I'm not sold on either launch library, really, but at least the PlayStation 4 will have some indie titles I never picked up on the PC that I can grab.

I'm also curious to know just how many titles Microsoft has lined up for after launch. Will it be a trickle, or, as good ol' Jim would put it, a 'launch splooge?' I really think both companies need to dial it back a bit. In the end, these grandiose statements are just going to hurt you, if the consumer doesn't agree with your assessment.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Eh, depends on taste I guess. There isn't really anything in either console's launch line-up that's especially exciting to me. Looking forward to MGS5, FFXV and KH3, I guess but I don't think they're launch titles. Watch Dogs looks cool, too.

There are actually more Wii U games that I want.

Between Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey IV getting their EU releases soon, I don't think I'll be touching anything but my 3DS in a while, anyway.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
While their line-up is bigger than the PS4, very few of launch games on either side are going to draw too big of a crowd. I always considered a launch line-up to be good based on how much they make me want to buy the unit.

BrotherRool said:
This is both the greatest launch generation for both the One and the PS4 and also the most gentle...

I think out of the two, the PS4 might have the slightly stronger launch because of the sheer wealth of indie titles they've attracted. Otherwise they're pretty much equal on actual games
I agree that while neither will snag me at launch, Sony is definitely looking further down the road for games. In a year or two Microsoft has done nothing but promise you can watch sports, netflix and maybe play more Callfield Battleduty: Post-Modern Halo 8 the sequel, while Sony has been absolutely smashing into everyone's faces how many indie games are already in development and will be out soon.

If for nothing else this generation will be interesting solely just to watch how different the companies' marketing strategies are.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
best in the history console gaming, no ... best in xbox history, debatable

unless the Xbone comes with one of these games included, it will pale in comparison to the NES, which came with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt ... not only that, it came with the light gun needed to play Duck Hunt.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
So, Microsoft is boasting about having launch titles that are roughly the same as the PS4, as well as Peggle 2, Dead Rising 3 (which to me feels like a dumbed down iteration of the series), Ryse which I feel would get old after 20 minutes of QTE battles, and Killer Instinct. Truely, the stuff legends are made of. I'm sure the fact that Sony has 80% of the games and has it's own set of exclusives, clearly puts them miles behind in the lineup.

Guess what Microsoft, this horse has been beaten enough times, but I'm going to give it one more good whack. I can buy another full game on the PS4, for the difference of the extra hundred bucks I would spend on your console.and have change to spare. Doesn't matter how many killer apps you got, I'm more likely to enjoy variety on the PS4, or save that cash down the line for when a really really good game is released, because the launch titles of any console do not reflect how good games get later.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Phlakes said:
Please tell me this actually happened. Please.

OT: That's a nice lineup you got there, Microsoft, but it's not the best by any stretch. THe only really interesting game I see in the lineup is Watchdogs, which is multiplatform.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Arawn said:
After looking at both lists, I wouldn't say "In History" is warranted. They should have done like Sony. Rather solid and safe releases. Action, FPS, Sports and Racing! I'm not seeing too much innovation between the two. Most of the games coming out are multi-platform. Their exclusives are fewer than the whole. If either system wants to dominate they need to make themselves different. I'll wait for more Indie games. Final note: where the are the RPGS? Yeah, I know games have RPG elements, but I want a fun on RPG with sweeping story and hours upon hours of gameplay and exploration.
I think it should be said, launch day should not have the best games out right away. Then you have nothing to look forward to later on. Sony has 20 first party games coming out in the first year of it coming out, and another 10 that are still currently in development. That's not to mention third party exclusives that should be coming out also, and they have said they have 180 games also in development for the PS4. Among all that, there should be a few good RPGs out there, though if you're into the Japanese ones, go for the PS4 on that, as it tends to get more JRPGs.

OT: A little full of yourself there Mr. Harrison, but I cannot argue that as I don't know the launch line up fully of any system, including that of yours or Sony's. And even if I looked at the list, there are probably still a few under wraps you won't show us just yet, and I'll forget the names soon enough. In terms of numbers, you might be right. In terms of quality games, that remains to be seen.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
And yet not a single game that interests me (maybe appart from Watchdogs, but that's also for ps3 so...).

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Phlakes said:
Please tell me this actually happened. Please.

OT: That's a nice lineup you got there, Microsoft, but it's not the best by any stretch. THe only really interesting game I see in the lineup is Watchdogs, which is multiplatform.
Unless they changed the live stream to add that in, it actually did. I was watching the press conferences all day that day, and I saw that. It was amusing.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
MrBaskerville said:
And yet not a single game that interests me (maybe appart from Watchdogs, but that's also for ps3 so...).
And the PC, though unfortunately the Master Race will have to deal with Uplay, which I've had a wary relationship with at best. It's not as bad as origin but it isn't steam that is for sure.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
synobal said:
MrBaskerville said:
And the PC, though unfortunately the Master Race will have to deal with Uplay, which I've had a wary relationship with at best. It's not as bad as origin but it isn't steam that is for sure.
I got my first taste of UPlay with Blood Dragon and oddly enough I'd rank Games for Windows Live better then UPlay. Besides being an advertising billboard it does absolutely nothing.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Pretty sure Sony learned this lesson with the Vita, and now Microsoft might learn this lesson with the XBone. You need enough launch titles to make people interested, but blowing your wad in the beginning doesn't help you if you got nothing for the next six months.

Sony's purposefully delaying games like Second Son a few months after launch so there's still games for people to look forward to after the launch lineup is spent, I can almost bet real money on that. Microsoft's gonna throw everything out at launch, probably even rush out stuff that ain't ready, and might have nothing to offer for until summer next year. Just an idea of what'll probably happen... unless Microsoft really is being smart about it, and they haven't had a good track record for marketing decisions lately.