Microsoft's Original TV Shows Debuting on Xbox LIVE Early Next Year

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Microsoft's Original TV Shows Debuting on Xbox LIVE Early Next Year

Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners will be streaming Microsoft's original television programming in early 2014.

Over the past year, Microsoft has been tight lipped about the timetable on its upcoming television shows. However, in a recent interview with Variety [http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/microsoft-to-launch-first-original-shows-on-xbox-in-early-2014-1200953110/], Microsoft's Nancy Tellem revealed that the Xbox-only programming will start showing up early next year.

According to Tellem, who is the entertainment and digital media president of Microsoft, the company is planning to begin airing its original television shows in the first or second quarter of 2014. Though, she didn't mention which programs would be released first.

Tellem says that Microsoft is a different kind of company than anything the television industry has seen before, which can make finding investors difficult. "We aren't Netflix, we aren't Amazon, we're a different animal," she says. "We're neither or we're a little like them. It all depends. The lack of black and white and this is the template and this is what we're following is very difficult. As we continue to do deals everyone's going to get more comfortable."

So far, we know that Microsoft is working on a live action Halo series and a reality show about street soccer. But there have also been rumors about a scripted comedy series being developed by pro skateboarder Rob Dyrdek.

If I were a betting man, I would probably put my money on Every Street United, Microsoft's street soccer program [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128751-Xbox-Entertainment-Exploring-Reality-TV-in-Street-Soccer-Show], being released first. Reality shows have fewer moving parts than scripted programs, which means that production timelines are shorter. After all, Survivor has managed to churn out 27 seasons in just 13 years. How hard can it be?

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/microsoft-to-launch-first-original-shows-on-xbox-in-early-2014-1200953110/]

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Sorry to be the first post here and not totally be about the topic, but here goes: Is it just me, or does Ms. Tellum's appearance seem to fall into a really unsettling area of the uncanny valley? I just can't shake it, and couldn't get much from the article with... her staring at me.

Edit: Okay, to say something about the actual article... this is going to not be as big as Microsoft was hoping. As it said, I see them running some reality shows based on stuff microsoft does in meatspace, and maybe some gameshows or something that involve gamers, basically stuff that would be normally relegated to a PR youtube channel. I don't see people really giving two shits, and this being a waste of money.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
tangoprime said:
Sorry to be the first post here and not totally be about the topic, but here goes: Is it just me, or does Ms. Tellum's appearance seem to fall into a really unsettling area of the uncanny valley? I just can't shake it, and couldn't get much from the article with... her staring at me.
Its the lighting combined with her hair, its making her face look lopsided or like a Left 4 Dead 2 Charger.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
tangoprime said:
To Quote Videogamer.com (about someone else, though):" I'm proud to announce that my face has been rendered entirely using Unreal 3." Maybe that's the case.

OT: Except for the Halo series IF they make it really interesting why would they bother with this. I don't think anyone is is going to buy a 360 or Xbone on chance they could watch exclusive tv shows or current owners would bother even checking out what show Xbox has.

Also, how are they releasing these, is it free with a gold account or do you risk blowing $5 on 20 minutes of garbage? Either way it doesn't seem to be a money maker.