Microsoft's Phil Spencer Says Mouse and Keyboard Support for Xbox One is "Months Away"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft's Phil Spencer Says Mouse and Keyboard Support for Xbox One is "Months Away"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329871.jpgYou may be able to play games on your Xbox One with a mouse and keyboard sooner than you'd expect.

One of the big announcements of Microsoft's E3 press conference on Monday was Xbox Play Anywhere [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167704-Xbox-Play-Anywhere-Brings-Xbox-Games-to-Windows-10-Starting-with-Gears-of-War-4], a new service that brings Xbox games to the PC via the Windows Store on Windows 10. While that's definitely good news for PC gamers who want to play Xbox exclusive games, it did make us wonder if there might be games going in the other direction as well.

In an interview with PC Games N, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer said that support for keyboard and mouse is already in the works. He wouldn't speculate on a specific date when it might happen, but when asked he said, "I keep talking about it in the press and my platform team keeps shaking their head, because they... Truthfully in our dev kit modes now keyboard works, mouse support is a little bit further away. I say it because I know it's not years away, it's more like months away, but we don't have an exact date yet."

This isn't the first time this sort of support has been mentioned, as there have been rumors about it over the last year or two. That said, it would things interesting for Xbox One gamers if some PC-exclusive mouse and keyboard titles were suddenly playable on their console of choice. I could foresee some shooters having to create controller-only multiplayer servers in their games if some folks start using a mouse on console, though.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Keyboard and mouse support will have to be manually added by developers for their games though.
What I find slightly more interesting would be if they added PC-to-Xbox game streaming. I already use the streaming feature from xbox to PC, but would love to get it the other way around. I know we already have this with Steam, but my TV connected PC has been acting weird lately and it would eventually mean I could get rid of it.

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
Only native support is months away, a Xim4 works well by all accounts.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
But why would someone need mouse and keyboard on Xbox when gamepad is so much better?! /sarcasm

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rastrelly said:
But why would someone need mouse and keyboard on Xbox when gamepad is so much better?! /sarcasm
Because I grew up on a NES and Genesis, not a computer. God forbid people understand preference. Plus why would I want to game on a type writer when I could use a device MADE FOR GAMING?

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
I guess this means you'd be able to use the Steam Controller on Xbox, since it registers as a standard mouse and keyboard. Unless they are planning to sell special Xbox One mouse and keyboards bundles...

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Because I grew up on a NES and Genesis, not a computer. God forbid people understand preference. Plus why would I want to game on a type writer when I could use a device MADE FOR GAMING?
So what? I grew up on NES as well.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
I will take controller when I can. I'm used to it and I prefer it in most games. People who think Mouse and Keyboard are universally better all the time are very arrogant and shortsighted and its tiring.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
I'm not hopeful for this at all, Keyboard and Mouse controls aren't something that console developers know how to do even on PC, what chance do they have at doing it on console? And then who would want to play a third person shooter, platformer, or even some RPG's(square style, not MMO style) with a KB&M anyways?

I never thought that all of this was a huge problem, but them I made a friend on the internet who was left handed and he tried to play Dead Space what with its mouse acceleration and non rebindable controls. Here is a hint on how well that worked, not at all. I don't use arrow keys for almost anything in gaming but he either uses arrow keys or the numpad for everything and WSAD just mad him SAD.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
I will take controller when I can. I'm used to it and I prefer it in most games. People who think Mouse and Keyboard are universally better all the time are very arrogant and shortsighted and its tiring.
It's good to know there's other people out there that feel the same way! Each has their own sets of pros and cons, pretty much like anything else.

I'm excited for this though. Sometimes I like having a mouse for shooters (it'd be neat to try a new halo with keyboard/mouse). Sometimes I feel like controllers are superior (like for GoW or Dark Souls). Anywho, YAY!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Thatguyky said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
It's good to know there's other people out there that feel the same way! Each has their own sets of pros and cons, pretty much like anything else.

I'm excited for this though. Sometimes I like having a mouse for shooters (it'd be neat to try a new halo with keyboard/mouse). Sometimes I feel like controllers are superior (like for GoW or Dark Souls). Anywho, YAY!
Generally speaking, controllers are better for platformers, while mouse and keyboard are better for strategy games. But if someone prefers playing Sonic with a mouse and keyboard, good for them. And I wouldn't play Civ V with a controller, but Civ Revolution worked fine, and its turn based. I played Call of Duty on PC with a mouse and keyboard, and then a controller and I did terrible with mouse, but did as well as I usually do with a controller (and I am generally good at CoD). I wont fault someone for being the opposite though, but people forget that preference and the human element exist. Even if mouse is better for shooters, not everyone using a mouse is going to be good anyways, and if I want to "suffer" with my controller, that should be my choice.

We should just be glad that more people have more options.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Funny how a device "made for gaming" has worse gaming performance. Controllers are a compromise device made for sitting back in your couch where you have no surface to lean on, that's all. Admittedly they are pretty good for certain types of gaming - platformers and fighters benefit from using a controller. In an FPS and other games where precision aiming is important, though, the mouse is king.

There is no single device that is better for all types of game, however. Some input devices are naturally better at one type of gaming and others are better at other types. Controllers are always a compromise device, though. They are okay at all types of games without being optimal at most. Racing games are best with a wheel, flight games are best with a proper joystick, shooters and strategy games are best with a mouse, fighters are best with an arcade stick. Controllers probably have their best moments with platformers, I guess.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Funny how a device "made for gaming" has worse gaming performance. Controllers are a compromise device made for sitting back in your couch where you have no surface to lean on, that's all. Admittedly they are pretty good for certain types of gaming - platformers and fighters benefit from using a controller. In an FPS and other games where precision aiming is important, though, the mouse is king.

There is no single device that is better for all types of game, however. Some input devices are naturally better at one type of gaming and others are better at other types. Controllers are always a compromise device, though. They are okay at all types of games without being optimal at most. Racing games are best with a wheel, flight games are best with a proper joystick, shooters and strategy games are best with a mouse, fighters are best with an arcade stick. Controllers probably have their best moments with platformers, I guess.
Controllers also don't hurt my hand like a mouse does. I also think some people just copy others opinions too much. I don't care for racing games and never tried a wheel, so cant speak on that, but I also think fight sticks are overhyped. 2d fighting game, give me a D-Pad any day. 3D I use the control stick, but I hate fight sticks/arcade cabinets. Another example of preference too. My dad, an old school gamer, is better with a stick in fighting games, me with a controller, and when we face eachother in Street Fighter, he usually beats me at a cabinet, and I usually beat him with controllers.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Saelune said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:

Controllers also don't hurt my hand like a mouse does. I also think some people just copy others opinions too much. I don't care for racing games and never tried a wheel, so cant speak on that, but I also think fight sticks are overhyped. 2d fighting game, give me a D-Pad any day. 3D I use the control stick, but I hate fight sticks/arcade cabinets. Another example of preference too. My dad, an old school gamer, is better with a stick in fighting games, me with a controller, and when we face eachother in Street Fighter, he usually beats me at a cabinet, and I usually beat him with controllers.
Personal preference does have a lot do with it, of course. And that is a primary reason I don't do consoles: I dislike controllers, I am terrible with controllers, and they hurt my hands after ten minutes or so of use. On the other hand, if console games supported a variety of control methods as standard, including mouse and keyboard, I'd probably own a PS4 already. Controllers just aren't a usable option for me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:

Personal preference does have a lot do with it, of course. And that is a primary reason I don't do consoles: I dislike controllers, I am terrible with controllers, and they hurt my hands after ten minutes or so of use. On the other hand, if console games supported a variety of control methods as standard, including mouse and keyboard, I'd probably own a PS4 already. Controllers just aren't a usable option for me.
That's all I want. Doesn't need to be a condescending fight. Let everyone play how they prefer.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Things are the way you perceive them. M&K are definitely better for shooters, strategies, and any game that requires precise orders. Gamepads are better for games with fluent cpntrols like platformers or fightings. But I am as tired of hearing that gamepads are BETTER for shooters or RPGs then M&K. Yes, and chainsaw is much better for cutting bread then knife.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Things are the way you perceive them. M&K are definitely better for shooters, strategies, and any game that requires precise orders. Gamepads are better for games with fluent cpntrols like platformers or fightings. But I am as tired of hearing that gamepads are BETTER for shooters or RPGs then M&K. Yes, and chainsaw is much better for cutting bread then knife.
You must have low stamina then cause I never hear anyone saying that controllers are better for shooters, its always said that mouse is.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Unicycles to add support for pedaling with your hands!
Seriously, why use a lesser control scheme when you have a slightly inferior variation on the greatest control scheme ever.