Microsoft's Phil Spencer Says Mouse and Keyboard Support for Xbox One is "Months Away"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
DudeistBelieve said:
maybe this will cause the development of the Analog Stick Nunchuck/Mouse comes I so desperately long for since switching to PC.

Seriously. You Master Race folks can not tell me using a keyboard, FOR MOVEMENT IN A 3 DIMENSIONAL SPACE, is better than an analog stick. Theres a reason racing games are better with the controller.
I'm not sure how well they work in comparison to analog sticks on controllers, but this is something that has been addressed [http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-chroma].

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
But why would someone need mouse and keyboard on Xbox when gamepad is so much better?! /sarcasm
Because I grew up on a NES and Genesis, not a computer. God forbid people understand preference. Plus why would I want to game on a type writer when I could use a device MADE FOR GAMING?
So what? I grew up on NES as well.
I will take controller when I can. I'm used to it and I prefer it in most games. People who think Mouse and Keyboard are universally better all the time are very arrogant and shortsighted and its tiring.
Its not. Its just better for shooters.

I'm interested to see wth this will do to competetive gaming on consoles.

Mouse users competing with PC people? Disabled autoaim for the mouse users? Impossible to balance, and most likely a PR nightmare for any semi-serious shooter producer.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Lol are they sure this is a good idea? M/KB is objectively better for most games. I don't know if Moneysoft is going to pony up to money to make different server types for the two.

In shooters, PC players would mop the floor with controller players to an embarrassing degree.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
tzimize said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
But why would someone need mouse and keyboard on Xbox when gamepad is so much better?! /sarcasm
Because I grew up on a NES and Genesis, not a computer. God forbid people understand preference. Plus why would I want to game on a type writer when I could use a device MADE FOR GAMING?
I will take controller when I can. I'm used to it and I prefer it in most games. People who think Mouse and Keyboard are universally better all the time are very arrogant and shortsighted and its tiring.

Mouse users competing with PC people? Disabled autoaim for the mouse users? Impossible to balance, and most likely a PR nightmare for any semi-serious shooter producer.
More excuses. Lets just put it into practice first before everyone acts like an expert in things that is virtually never done save one or two times.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Saelune said:
tzimize said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:

More excuses. Lets just put it into practice first before everyone acts like an expert in things that is virtually never done save one or two times.
It's not done one or two times. Many PC shooters let you use controllers in them right now. It's giving you an option. But it's usually a very bad idea unless there's some kind of obscure exploit like how TF2 let you turn faster than you were supposed to with a charge attack if you used a controller. Using a controller makes you lose.

There was also a console port recently for Battlefield or something, I forget, but I think it has auto-aim for controllers but not so for mouse/keyboard. It's a shit show I hear. But this of course begs the question of why one implement gets auto-aim as a crutch if the only difference is "preference."

Microsoft [http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-microsoft-killed-cross-platform-project-because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html] actually did a concept test a very long time ago with a shooter they were thinking of making for consoles and PC userbase put together. In playtests, the console players got rolled literally every time. It was straight-up embarrassing. They scrapped cross-platform altogether.

Using a controller is a valid option in shooters. An option in the same way you can turn your gamma all the way down to black, your sensitivity to a million, and rebind all your controls to suicide. People only do it if losing or stubbornness is their preference.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MHR said:
Saelune said:
tzimize said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:

It's not done one or two times. Many PC shooters let you use controllers in them right now. It's giving you an option. But it's usually a very bad idea unless there's some kind of obscure exploit like how TF2 let you turn faster than you were supposed to with a charge attack if you used a controller. Using a controller makes you lose.

There was also a console port recently for Battlefield or something, I forget, but I think it has auto-aim for controllers but not so for mouse/keyboard. It's a shit show I hear. But this of course begs the question of why one implement gets auto-aim as a crutch if the only difference is "preference."

Xbox actually did a concept test a very long time ago with a shooter they were thinking of making for consoles and PC userbase put together. In playtests, the console players got rolled literally every time. It was straight-up embarrassing. They scrapped cross-platform altogether.

Using a controller is a valid option in shooters. An option in the same way you can turn your gamma all the way down to black, your sensitivity to a million, and rebind all your controls to suicide. People only do it if losing or stubbornness is their preference.
My personal experience playing CoD on PC, once with mouse and keyboard and then with controller (also on PC) I did just fine with controller. And as much as Id like to say I am just super mega awesome, I wont.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Saelune said:
tzimize said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:

Its not excuses. There are very good reasons its never been done more than one or two times. Its been an absolute failure for very obvious reasons. If you cant admit that you are as biased as the PC-master race people.

Controllers have their field of expertise. YOU might LIKE one better, but that doesnt mean its ACTUALLY better, it just FEELS better for YOU. Objectively a mouse trumps a controller for precision fps movement, and a controller trumps a mouse/keyboard for say, fighter games in 2d or 3d. Thats not about personal preference, its simply what kind of job the input method does best. If you cant admit that, look at the industry. What about and excavator (digging machine, not sure of the correct english word), what kind of controls are they using? Mouse and keyboard because the driver prefers that? No. They use joysticks, because the movement that is being controlled is suitable for a joystick.

When controls are heavily skewed in performance towards a specific job, it naturally goes without saying that the balance is screwed. For example in competetive shooters. And as such, an eternal nightmare for PR people and moderators. They will have to split servers, with m/k players playing by themselves (or with PC people, if the autoaim is disabled) and controller players playing by themselves.