Microsoft's Phil Spencer Says Mouse and Keyboard Support for Xbox One is "Months Away"

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NLS said:
Keyboard and mouse support will have to be manually added by developers for their games though.
What I find slightly more interesting would be if they added PC-to-Xbox game streaming. I already use the streaming feature from xbox to PC, but would love to get it the other way around. I know we already have this with Steam, but my TV connected PC has been acting weird lately and it would eventually mean I could get rid of it.
or we will find ways to emulate controller with a keyboard just like we found ways to emulate keyboard with a controller for PC games that dont support controllers.

Also why the hell would you stream inferior Xbox version to PC? I guess exclusive games?

Saelune said:
Because I grew up on a NES and Genesis, not a computer. God forbid people understand preference. Plus why would I want to game on a type writer when I could use a device MADE FOR GAMING?
being trained to do things the hard way is not preference, its bad habits.

sonicneedslovetoo said:
And then who would want to play a third person shooter, platformer, or even some RPG's(square style, not MMO style) with a KB&M anyways?
Sane people. I cant even fathom how people manage to play TPS with controllers. i tried my best and its just so slow and unconfortable.

sonicneedslovetoo said:
but them I made a friend on the internet who was left handed and he tried to play Dead Space what with its mouse acceleration and non rebindable controls.
Im left handed but i still use mouse properly.

Saelune said:
You must have low stamina then cause I never hear anyone saying that controllers are better for shooters, its always said that mouse is.
It happened in this very thread, look at the guy i quoted a bit above in this post.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
This Spencer... is starting to annoy me, the two faced rat speaks with a political forked tongue...

Here, K&M support for the XboxOne, on the subject of Halo 5 PC ? Oh, no Halo 5 was designed with the console in mind and is a different set up, as in we see a console player wanting to be 10 ft away and having a controller in their laps.
(reference: http://www.pcgamer.com/halo-6-will-release-on-windows-10/)
This guy should have stocks in the toilet paper industry to wipe that crap off his mouth every time he opens it.

This asshole will happily tell us consoles suck in a PC convention, and then tell console players the PC market is dead and riddled with piracy at the next days console convention, basically whatever the audience he is currently lying to wants to hear (or what he thinks they want to hear, or what he thinks they should be hearing).

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Saelune said:
You must have low stamina then cause I never hear anyone saying that controllers are better for shooters, its always said that mouse is.
Nope, you must rarely be involved in these arguments on M&K side. I even saw a guy claiming that M&K are MUCH worse then gamepad for FPS, and that he can beat any M&K player at any game (!!!). No, really. I am not joking.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wait, they still don't have k&M support for it yet? Didn't the PS4 have it built in? I know a few games with such support already. Keep up, MS if you can.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Huh. Microsoft kinda makes Xbox hard to ignore, with its backward compatibility (though limited) and its ecosystem shared with Windows 10 (and Windows Store, ugh) and keyboard/mouse support (though that would have to be implemented by the developers which it probably won't be). They just need to add Steam support and/or PC-to-Xbox streaming and I might even consider getting one.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
sonicneedslovetoo said:
I'm not hopeful for this at all, Keyboard and Mouse controls aren't something that console developers know how to do even on PC, what chance do they have at doing it on console? And then who would want to play a third person shooter, platformer, or even some RPG's(square style, not MMO style) with a KB&M anyways?

I never thought that all of this was a huge problem, but them I made a friend on the internet who was left handed and he tried to play Dead Space what with its mouse acceleration and non rebindable controls. Here is a hint on how well that worked, not at all. I don't use arrow keys for almost anything in gaming but he either uses arrow keys or the numpad for everything and WSAD just mad him SAD.
Actually other than MGS5 I prefer playing third and first person shooters with a keyboard and mouse, but anything with melee (DragonAge for example) I find a gamepad is better since there's less pin-point targeting required since I can just face myself in the general direction and generally I'll reliably hit something.

That's actually a major advantage of PC: I can swap control styles in an instant.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
"PC running Windows might soon be able to use peripherals that have been standard on PCs for decades"

If they'd done this a couple of generations ago when there were actually some differences in the hardware and software involved this might have been interesting. The only impressive thing here is that, despite having the same hardware and OS as a regular PC, they're somehow still months away from getting basic features working.

Apr 5, 2008
So...will it only allow XBox branded KBs and mice?

It runs PC hardware, will soon use PC peripherals, requires upgrading like a PC, requires installing games like a PC, costs almost as much as a PC...what is the reason any more to buy one of these over a PC? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that in one, you agree to let MS have complete control over the OS, you can't add your own programs, access the file system or customise very much.

It's weird how all successive evolutionary steps for consoles have basically been making them more and more PC-like, while losing what makes them console-like.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
KingsGambit said:
So...will it only allow XBox branded KBs and mice?

It runs PC hardware, will soon use PC peripherals, requires upgrading like a PC, requires installing games like a PC, costs almost as much as a PC...what is the reason any more to buy one of these over a PC? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that in one, you agree to let MS have complete control over the OS, you can't add your own programs, access the file system or customise very much.

It's weird how all successive evolutionary steps for consoles have basically been making them more and more PC-like, while losing what makes them console-like.
Conspiracy hat time! I wonder if MS is intentionally trying to move their audience to PC. They're losing ground rather steadily against Sony in the console wars, but are still king of the hill for PCs, and they're really pushing that Win 10 market so that they can get a cut of all games. Is MS training their remaining console audience so that they'll make the jump when MS starts an Xbox PC line?

I don't know, but wild speculation is fun!

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
But why would someone need mouse and keyboard on Xbox when gamepad is so much better?! /sarcasm
Because I grew up on a NES and Genesis, not a computer. God forbid people understand preference. Plus why would I want to game on a type writer when I could use a device MADE FOR GAMING?
So what? I grew up on NES as well.
I will take controller when I can. I'm used to it and I prefer it in most games. People who think Mouse and Keyboard are universally better all the time are very arrogant and shortsighted and its tiring.
I mean, the skill ceiling is a lot higher with mouse + keyboard for FPSes at least. There's a reason you don't see PC/console crossplay on FPSes, and that reason is Shadowrun for the 360 and PC. They tried it, and immediately realized it was a bad idea when console users got consistently mashed into a thin paste by Mouse/Keyboard users. So when people say "mouse/keyboard is better for FPSes", understand that there is in fact evidence supporting that claim.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Bek359 said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
But why would someone need mouse and keyboard on Xbox when gamepad is so much better?! /sarcasm
So what? I grew up on NES as well.
I will take controller when I can. I'm used to it and I prefer it in most games. People who think Mouse and Keyboard are universally better all the time are very arrogant and shortsighted and its tiring.
I mean, the skill ceiling is a lot higher with mouse + keyboard for FPSes at least. There's a reason you don't see PC/console crossplay on FPSes, and that reason is Shadowrun for the 360 and PC. They tried it, and immediately realized it was a bad idea when console users got consistently mashed into a thin paste by Mouse/Keyboard users. So when people say "mouse/keyboard is better for FPSes", understand that there is in fact evidence supporting that claim.
But then, fighting games...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I wonder what this means for online gaming on that platform. Specifically, of course, online shooters. Let's be fair, if two teams with equal hours into CoD, the the PC team will pretty much always beat the console team. Case in point; Microsoft's experiment with the Shadowrun shooter's cross-platform function. I definitely wouldn't want to boot up a shooter, as a console player with a controller, and suddenly get creamed again and again because someone found the space for a keyboard & mouse setup, assuming I wouldn't have it.

So will keyboard and mouse only be there for certain games or certain modes within games? Or will it tie in with this whole "buy one copy, play on both platforms" thing?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Is this the same microsoft that, back in the 360 days, swore up and down they would never put in mouse and keyboard support because it wouldn't be fair to players that used controllers?

I wonder what changed their minds. I can't help but feel it's because they felt they were losing ground to steam or something. We'll have to wait and see how it's implemented: they might pull a dick move and make it so you can't get achievements or have to play on special servers or something.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Saelune said:
Rastrelly said:
Yeh..... MADE FOR GAMING and still has to have abit of auto aim as well.....its not a good as a mouse and keyboard which was NOT MADE FOR GAMING, sorry but does not say much for the oh so great controller does it. But again like you said PREFERENCE ;) lol LOL

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rastrelly said:
Nope, you must rarely be involved in these arguments on M&K side. I even saw a guy claiming that M&K are MUCH worse then gamepad for FPS, and that he can beat any M&K player at any game (!!!). No, really. I am not joking.
Most of the time its PC elitism complaining, not controller people. Not that I don't doubt console elitists exist, but they atleast aren't as common or loud.
Bek359 said:
We don't have crossplay cause people don't do it. One game isn't a good excuse against it. Id rather we put up or shut up and see what happens when the two actually face off in more games.

AstaresPanda said:
Yeh..... MADE FOR GAMING and still has to have abit of auto aim as well.....its not a good as a mouse and keyboard which was NOT MADE FOR GAMING, sorry but does not say much for the oh so great controller does it. But again like you said PREFERENCE ;) lol LOL
You can disagree with me all you want, but perhaps not being immature about it would better serve the discussion.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
ok then. Well. PREFERENCE. Controller is good for platforms, fighters. Not contest. Everything else is better with mouse and keyboard. PC you can plug in controller if you so wish depending on game, thats what i do for Metal Slug recently.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
maybe this will cause the development of the Analog Stick Nunchuck/Mouse comes I so desperately long for since switching to PC.

Seriously. You Master Race folks can not tell me using a keyboard, FOR MOVEMENT IN A 3 DIMENSIONAL SPACE, is better than an analog stick. Theres a reason racing games are better with the controller.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
Wow, the marvel of technology these days! A console that can use a keyboard and a mouse, who'd have ever even thought it possible?
Micro$oft sure is on the frontier of groundbreaking technological evolution. Praise be to their ongoing excellence.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
How about split-screen? No split-screen? How about LAN? No?

Then screw off, Microsoft.

And you too, Sony. You're definitely not out of this either.