Microsoft's UWP is Games for Windows Live 2.0

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So microsoft are a bunch of evil scumfucks that are not to be trusted.
What else is new?

I'm kind of surprised how some people treat UWP like it's this new thing that has never been done before.
People are starting to forget GFWL which is kind of impressive for how much of a wide-spread atrocity it was.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I've hear vague rumblings about Windows 10 features being available to UWPs but not EXEs, but what exactly said features might actually be remains vague. Given Microsoft's continued willingness to use DirectX as a flogging device, though, it can't help but be slightly troubling.

All that aside, though... I don't want this. If I make a game, I want it to be easily accessible to as many people as possible, including people who are using older operating systems. If I play a game, I want it to be the version the developers intended, not the one that was hobbled by the various restrictions currently in effect for a UWP. In neither case do I want to pay Microsoft a cut, because they have been and continue to be a hindrance to the PC gaming marketplace and they shouldn't be rewarded for that, ever.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Olas said:
Nazulu said:
Really!? This is just comical now. They're exactly like Mr. Burns! They would make us pay through the nose for literally everything if they could (and one day might).
Yes, that's how for-profit businesses work. Or did you think businesses willingly forgo potential revenue out of generosity? Keep in mind I'm not defending UWP, but Microsoft's issue is clumsiness, not evil.
No, you are defending UWP. That's the ultimate cop-out defense I keep hearing for shitty business practices 101. And no one cares for it of course. They could easily hire people and do research into what would be a good idea, but they never fucking do! Most likely the opposite to see what they can 'potentially' get away with.

Also, how can you prove it's clumsiness!? They just tried something similar with the Xbone, and even after the massive backlash, well Look At It! This is so similar! They're power hungry.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
008Zulu said:
CaitSeith said:
I think they'll do something insidious, like not allowing to create games for the XBox One if they don't make them for Windows 10 with UWP.
That does sound like something Microsoft would do, I would imagine that Devs would abandon the Xbone platform if that's the case.
I imagine that would depend on how much the publishers crave for the sales from XBox One games. With all the pre-ordering and microtransactions they put in the games, because "otherwise they can't afford to make games", cutting themselves out of a main console audience sounds like something they wouldn't do.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
FileTrekker said:
...except for modifying EXE or DLL files.
Congrats, you just killed all aftermarket graphics mods that use injectors/DLL replacers, and also every Bethesda game since pretty much all the significant mods for those rely on their various EXE-modifying Script Extenders.

And of course, the real target of these restrictions(software crackers and file sharers) will giggle into their hands and figure a way around it, once again proving that people who employ restrictive DRM to "combat piracy" are either grotesquely incompetent/stupid, or liars using the piracy boogieman to cloak their anti-consumer behaviour.

UWP is a shitshow, and it's genuinely depressing that folk are willing to defend it.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Ark of the Covetor said:
FileTrekker said:
...except for modifying EXE or DLL files.
Congrats, you just killed all aftermarket graphics mods that use injectors/DLL replacers, and also every Bethesda game since pretty much all the significant mods for those rely on their various EXE-modifying Script Extenders.

And of course, the real target of these restrictions(software crackers and file sharers) will giggle into their hands and figure a way around it, once again proving that people who employ restrictive DRM to "combat piracy" are either grotesquely incompetent/stupid, or liars using the piracy boogieman to cloak their anti-consumer behaviour.

UWP is a shitshow, and it's genuinely depressing that folk are willing to defend it.
That's a pretty ill informed opinion, if you don't mind my saying so.

I wasn't defending it as a platform. As an app platform, I think it's fine, as a AAA gaming platform, not so much, I said so in my post, however;

The crux of your argument ('kill' something) - implies that games either can't or won't be released on Steam before or at the same time as the UWP version. Yes, the UWP version won't support these kinds of mods. That's fine; just buy the Steam version instead.

There will never be a case where a game is on the UWP but not Steam, low level mobile-type games aside (maybe...) - This is never going to be the case, I can guarantee you that.

The same fuss happened when Windows 8 came out, the same fuss is happening now, there's no way UWP will gain traction of Steam. The UWP versions of apps are aimed at casual users, those who will likely never even consider modding. The Steam versions of games are never going to go away, and there's no exclusivity to the UWP like I said.

I honestly can't understand why people are even caring about UWP, never mind getting so upset about it. It's literally never going to affect you. The serious gamer market is not what they care about here, at all.

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
FileTrekker said:
The crux of your argument ('kill' something) - implies that games either can't or won't be released on Steam before or at the same time as the UWP version. Yes, the UWP version won't support these kinds of mods. That's fine; just buy the Steam version instead.

There will never be a case where a game is on the UWP but not Steam, low level mobile-type games aside (maybe...) - This is never going to be the case, I can guarantee you that.
If it ends up that my only choices are to get a game with the DRM of UWP, or the DRM of Steam, then I think I'll just go buy a deck of cards.

And the guarantees of anonymous internet forum posters aren't worth the bits that make up their post.