Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

Lug100

Sep 2, 2011
Can i just say that basically everyone in the article is at fault in one way or another, and thus could be argued that it was their fault:

The man in question - kinda obvios this one, shouldnt have gone and throttled the kid, and if he was getting pissed off, probaly should have turned of his headset or xbox/ps3 (not stated which)

The kid - yeah he's made out to be the victim in the article, but it doesnt half seem he was asking for it..

Mrmac23 said:
A man much older and stronger than you loses to you at a game. You relentlessly taunt him.

These are the situations the phrase "tempting fate" was invented for.
precicely, especialy as the man has had previous mental health issues and as the kid knew him previously theres a chance he may have known this, dont bait mental people.

The mum - okay so has no-one involved in the case thought of the fact that the mum is letting her son play the game, a good 5 years underage? Im know that in the UK the age rating only applies to the purchase of the game, but if the she bought the game and let the child play it, its her responcibility what happens, and that includeds letting her son bait fully-grown men who live across the street, especialy ones, as stated aboce, have known mental health issues... the chances are she would let her son scream insults and random adults in the street, so why let him do it over a game?

So yeah, basically the man shouldnt have lost his cool over a game, but then again the kid didnt help things. taking it from the childs point of view, if you won say a football match, yeah sure celebrate, but it you spend the next un-know length of time screaming insults in the losers faces, your gunna expect a punch at some point..

Spygon

May 16, 2009
The lesson of this is if your going to play online make sure you play with strangers as it seems safer.

All them terrible talks about the "world wide web" from random nobodies shows they were wrong because if you talk to stranger at least they most likely arent going to turn up at your house and strangle you ;)

Mugen Weston

Jan 4, 2011
I'm not the biggest fan of the "youth of today" so this made me laugh quite a bit, however I don't agree with the means, strangling ain't cool bro.

That said, I do agree with the ends that this incident achieved. Chances are that kid is never gonna trash talk or be a smart ass online ever again because he'll have realized his own powerlessness and the possible consequences treating someone like crap.

Most trash talkers online think they are invincible because they are in the comfort of their own home and cant see their opponent, and in the real world would never dare talk down to someone due to fear of retaliation. They need to be taught that they shouldn't be doing this and that even online trash talking can have consequences (like in this case).

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Watch the media disregard his previous mental health condition and blame the game for making him crazy.
As much as I wish you were wrong somehow I know that you aren't. :(

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Prof. Monkeypox said:
GiantRaven said:
I'd wager it equally pathetic for a 13 year old to throw insults at a grown man through a videogame.
Eh... No. 13-year-olds are allowed to be stupid (which is good, because they generally are). Assaulting a 13-year-old, on the other hand, when you are old enough to know better and should be aware of how bratty 13-year-olds are is just sad.

Plus, assault is always worse than trash talking.
I never really buy into that whole "kids don't know any better" crap. You wanna know how you "know better"? With crap like the article. If a kid is gonna act like a little shit, I don't care if he's 5 or 15, he deserves to be punished. While the adult in this case definitely shouldn't be applauded, he also shouldn't be punished (at the very least not in a way the kid can see). If a kid does something bad, gets punished by someone, then sees that this person is being punished even harder and everyone defends him, guess what happens? He does it again, possibly pushing even harder this time.

While I certainly don't condone how the adult in this case acted, the kid had it coming. He's gotta learn somehow, and the important thing is that no lasting damage was done.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
I've had this fantasy thousands of times. I admire this guy, he's my hero.

Also, the mother doesn't know her son is a fucking twat-waffle? He's 13, technically he shouldn't even be playing 'M' games.

In any case, I'm pleased this kid got the piss scared out of him. He sounds like he needed it.

One more question: How did the guy know where to kind him? The only reason I could imagine is the kid telling him, in which case the kid is even more retarded then I thought.

WhiteandNeardy99

Jun 8, 2010
I always find that exhaling deeply and turning the game off for a hour or so works for me, that said I have a friend who has gone through three controllers and a console from throwing things around when he's playing GoW online.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Hate these little scum bags online. Granted if you beat someone, by all means celebrate with a "ha, kicked your ass" or what ever, we all expect that. But when they go on and on with the insults. It just grates. Yes he could of turned of his mike, but he shouldnt have to. An these little bastards do it because they know they are safe, just like the losers online that ***** and insult as they know they are untouchable. I dont condone what they man did, but the kid needs to learn that their are repercussion to actions you do and say in life. If you piss people off then dont be surprised when they crack and come after you, because you dont know who they are.

The kid is lucky. That guy could have come in and stabbed him to death. Hopefully that kid learnt a valuable lesson.

Eccentric_Jon

Jun 20, 2010
Bvenged said:
Jakub324 said:
Does he know there's a mute function? Does he know his headset isn't sewn to his head? Does he know CoD's ONLY A GAME?
CoD: BO & MW2 are really, really poor games as a whole.

The games have now become truly awful and every single one of you buying MW3 are being played at by the money-game. They're borderline rogue traders.

Tricking you with this "new product" that barely differs from the previous, but cost the same/more.

Do the world a favour, die-hard CoD fans, try a different game. You'd be surprised how much different and fun some of the other genres are....
- The quality of the games is subjective. One person's trash is another's treasure. I personally like Infinity Ward's MW games, but I can't stand Treyarch's "CoD" games (WaW & BO). That desn't mean they are truly awful, as some people like them, but they're not for me.

- Again, more opinionated bigotry and then an offensive comment, directed at anyone who DARES to buy a game they enjoy.

- Dead Space, The Sims, Pretty much every Sports game in existance, Elder Scrolls and other RPG games, Guitar Hero, Virtually every FPS, TPS, Beat em up. Need I go on here?

- People don't ONLY play Call of Duty. I have NEVER come across someone online with only one game in their history. And now you've changed your insult to only Die hard Cod Fans. Where's the continuity?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Finally.

Bloke should have been given a sodding medal. Perhaps now that kid will think twice before running his mouth.

Multiplayer + talking shit = being choked.

And the balance of life is restored a little bit.

You talk shit to someone in the street, you get a punch. You do it online and the bloke hunts you down and throttles you.

Priceless.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
Hopefully this will give the other teen loudmouths something to think about. You never know... that person you just had a go out might barge through your door at any minute.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Irridium said:
Now, I can sympathize with him wanting to throttle the kid. Hell, I'm sure anyone who played this game online wants to throttle all the annoying little fucks on there.
COD regularly makes me want to just throttle/kill/destroy the nearest thing/living being/object to me. Lost a headset last year but never actually took any rage out on a person, hehe.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Things we can take from this:

1) Don't be a dick online.
2) Don't be such a n00b.
MiracleOfSound said:
Irridium said:
Now, I can sympathize with him wanting to throttle the kid. Hell, I'm sure anyone who played this game online wants to throttle all the annoying little fucks on there.
COD regularly makes me want to just throttle/kill/destroy the nearest thing/living being/object to me. Lost a headset last year but never actually took any rage out on a person, hehe.
Well... you do suck at call of duty... ;)

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
GestaltEsper said:
Let me get this straight, going to Facebook Memorial pages to talk shit about the deceased to the grieving family is perfectly alright and within freedom of speech, but apparently talking trash in an online match is grounds for getting your ass kicked?

...Stay classy Escapist.
Freedom of speech and freedom of action are not the same thing. Are either of them morally right? That's debatable. But I'd prefer a little kid get his ass beat to a grieving family have people talk shit to them over a loved one.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Mrmac23 said:
A man much older and stronger than you loses to you at a game. You relentlessly taunt him.

These are the situations the phrase "tempting fate" was invented for.
Serious. If some little shit was yelling at a much older and stronger bloke on the street and he went over and smacked him one the words "tempting fate" would be foremost in my mind. I mean yeah the guy's an idiot, there's no doubting that but the twat wasn't exactly innocent in all this.

Also Ms. Dumbass why is your kid playing an 18 game?

richard misiak

Dec 24, 2008
video games are corrupting our middle aged people!

captcha: really? you want me to type out part of the schrodinger equation?