Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
The fact that he tracked down a 13 year old over the internet is pretty damned creepy. The fact that he beat the shit out of him is pretty damned funny. I'm not saying that he was right to do it, but the cocky punk got a good ass-kicking for talking shit over (I'm assuming) Xbox Live. I also find it crazy that he just goes to this kids' house like nothing was wrong with that.

Wedlock49

May 5, 2010
it's the Daily Mail. It's a right-wing bullshit-fest just attempting to demonise gamers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
there is a reason i dont play call of duty shooter multiplayer. its not hard to finds out really....

Trevor Gowe

Oct 1, 2011
GestaltEsper said:
Let me get this straight, going to Facebook Memorial pages to talk shit about the deceased to the grieving family is perfectly alright and within freedom of speech, but apparently talking trash in an online match is grounds for getting your ass kicked?

...Stay classy Escapist.
Let me get this straight... they're reporting a news story, and you don't comprehend the process.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Trevor Gowe said:
GestaltEsper said:
Let me get this straight, going to Facebook Memorial pages to talk shit about the deceased to the grieving family is perfectly alright and within freedom of speech, but apparently talking trash in an online match is grounds for getting your ass kicked?

...Stay classy Escapist.
Let me get this straight... they're reporting a news story, and you don't comprehend the process.
Allow me to explain again. My issue is not with the news, but the responses to it. This forum has kind of a biased stance against children and young teenagers and it kinda gets to you after a while.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Acting like a dick because you think there will be no comeback is something we can do without. This isn't the way to stop it but dammit if this didn't make me laugh.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Guy overstepped the line when he tried to throttle the kid. Scaring him would have sent the message+been funnier "wanna say all what you said before to my face lad?".

Kid I felt got his just desserts when he was scared i guess, but the overall view of his actions after was far too generous:
-Should not have been playing the game in the first place.
Ah but frank didn't you and countless others play m rated games before you were old enough?
Yes bob, but the difference is we didn't advertise it and draw attention to ourselves, much less pick on mentally vulnerable old men and made them angry (and the kid must have had an inkling guy he's picking on was vulnerable in some way, just like trolls do when they smell a target)

-Tormeting someone on the net might seem lulzy cos you don't see the consequences and you get a thrill from making someone rage helplessly at you, the feeling of getting under someones skin and rendering them into impotent raging beings might delight quite a few net denizens, but in the rl that leads to consequences as hatred needs to be dissipated or converted, it doesn't just go away when the taunts stop and the guy is still raging.
I do not know if it's the online components of games that fuels this or something to do with how kids are raised or some other exterior influence on them, but this sort of online behaviour is just not on. You should be able to play a game without some stranger making it their mission to make you rage, it's sad that we accepted this facet of online gameplay so easily then get surprised when incidents such as this happen.

Even online, there should be a measure of responsibility to your actions.

Feb 9, 2011
I laughed...hard. I know the middle-aged man should never have done that, but at least there will be one less asshat on the internet because I highly doubt that stupid kid is going to be trash talking anyone anytime soon.

Part of me (a big part of me) just wants to tell the kid: "And that's what happens when you act like a dick. Someone will eventually wreck your shit."

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Kid expected something, not death but a good slap on the wrist would do it. It's basic psychology that people will snap after enough insults and taunts. Do I support the guy? No. But I do not support the kid either.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
krychek57 said:
Wait, what happened to game ratings and good parenting?
it fell dead to, its obviously the game developers fault that I bought a game for my kid to play it with blatant warnings against said action on the front...

Edit: oh yeah forgot to mention jay and silent bob strike back, How many people wanna kick some A**? I know I do.

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
I'd agree that both were in the wrong and have a deal of maturing to do. It sounds like they've made peace about it, and for that I'm thankful. Games are worth far much more than taunting and fighting over.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Are all the people complaining about the kid trash-talking, without knowing what he actually said, serious?

By the sounds of it this guy was hilarious to trash talk, and the people believing that trash talking people logically entails a choking are crazy. Getting your ass kicked for running your mouth is not good.

You guys need to take games less seriously, in games I've been team-killed; taunted; sworn at; and been the victim of (inaccurate) racial attacks, but I've never wanted to physically harm the asshole doing it. What's the point? It only makes you look more ridiculous for getting your ass beaten online by a kid and then getting yourself in a big huff because of it.

All it does is make you look like more of a loser.

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
Eh, I'm not surprised. People do all kinds of dumb stuff, myself included.

Both of them deserved it, but I don't blame them. It's just human nature, or as I like to call it: human stupidity.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Andy Chalk said:
"He's actually a decent kid," he said.
Sure, anyone's pretty decent when you're choking them like a chicken.

Here's a tip to all you people with rage issues: Mute!
Actually, that's a very good point! And the one thing that CoD has over Battlefield (please note; I'm not trying to start an argument. I've just been playing the beta for BF3 and noting something about it. That is all).