Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
CM156 said:
Xanthious said:
This story makes me very happy. PSN and XBL are both cesspools full of these little twats. It's good for them to find out what happens when your actions have consequences.
Right, because a adult male assulting a child is clearly proportional retribution for trash talk.

/snark

OT: Bad parenting as well. The kid is a bit too young, don't ya think?
Not necessarily. If you have a child and he plays an M-rated game, that's not indicative of bad parenting. Bad parenting is when you let him yell "I OWNED YOUR ****** ASS!" into his headset to random strangers and think it's socially acceptable. Who wants to bet he doesn't do it anymore since having his windpipe crushed down long enough to give him a near-death experience?

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
"He was baiting me and baiting me and just would not shut up"

Here's an idea-use the mute function! That said, it is gratifying to know that a foul mouthed COD player was punished for their insolence.

FogHornG36 said:
No, you guys need to understand, you do this trash talking and trolling in real life, this is what happens, people abuse the fact that they can't be reached over the internet, and they do what ever they want to get their jollys.

I say good job, and we need to show this to everyone so that people will think twice before talking trash, because that internet tough guy just may be able to get you, and if you wouldn't tempt fate in real life, why should you on the internet?
Also this.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
"If you can't handle losing to a child then you shouldn't be playing games."
Am I the only one who feels a little offended by this? I get that she's probably saying that you shouldn't play if you cant handle loosing. but the fact that she specifies loosing to "a child" kinda ticks me off...I play games and I'm off to uni soon.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Someone give that man a medal.
See kids, next time you think about trash talking people in games, remember. We know where you live.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Hm. Wait, I though this game is rated 18+ in UK, is it not?

A shame that filthy brat survived. I don't play CoD myself, but I can sympathize with that guy. Still, self-control is necessary. I may want to put a knife through someone's eyeball, but I'm not going to actually do it.
Respect the law, people...

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
The Pinray said:
I don't understand why parents let their children play these games.
Some don't care and some are just plain stupid. Like, so stupid they forgot to use a condom when it was really necessary, lol.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I reckon poor old Mark was as surprised as that kid. There he was fantasizing about choking the life out of that kid, and next thing you know he was staring a kid in the eyes with hands around his throat. Rage is a nasty thing...

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Scratches and reddening? BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY.

Seriously though, that's bad. Ban C.O.D! :p

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
No, you guys need to understand, you do this trash talking and trolling in real life, this is what happens, people abuse the fact that they can't be reached over the internet, and they do what ever they want to get their jollys.

I say good job, and we need to show this to everyone so that people will think twice before talking trash, because that internet tough guy just may be able to get you, and if you wouldn't tempt fate in real life, why should you on the internet?
Yeah, I agree with this. If the kid had been insulting grown men in real life he would have gotten beat up. Real life isn't very different from this situation. Don't say he is just a kid, he knows what he is doing is wrong, he just never experienced any of the consequences before.

However choking the kid was too much.

tymullet

Mar 15, 2011
its people like that kid here that take alot of the fun out of these games, and give gaming as a whole a massively negative stereotype that hold it back in the general publics eye.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
FaceFaceFace said:
If the mom hadn't stopped him and the man had killed the kid, would you all still be supporting him? He didn't just go over to backhand him, he CHOKED him.
GestaltEsper said:
Let me get this straight, going to Facebook Memorial pages to talk shit about the deceased to the grieving family is perfectly alright and within freedom of speech, but apparently talking trash in an online match is grounds for getting your ass kicked?

...Stay classy Escapist.
This. And also what the guy who got warned for the other post said. Someone talks smack in a video game, kill them. Someone torments a dead girl's family, it's the internet man grow thicker skin. It's like you people are the Joker or something.
Post Modernism and existential philosophy are the dominant paradigms of the ultra-hypocritical pathetic do nothing modern world. Me-Me-Me pseudo nihilism FTW! In many respects it is one of the driving factors to the success of the Heath Ledger role in the Batman film. It is not the love of an actor, it is the love of the character he played resonated with whatever internet/video-idiot tough guy persona most of planet moron runs with today. Unfortunately you seem like one of those nice people that would like the world (and by that the people that live on it) to be better than what it (they) is (are).

Heck even this article is escapist "click-bait", to drag people in to sell em more advertising and widgets. There is no "debate" to be had here, just noise to drive a number metric.

Very clever video, that pretty much sums it up. Have a good one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eLiW6iPGjE&feature=channel_video_title

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Kids getting strangled is bad. Kids getting a very strong message to not be a dick, is good. If he had done something more sensible but still delivering the message of "stop being an ass," I'd approve.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
This is just pathetic.
The man should seriously just grow up, it's a freaking game for crying out loud, and not a particularly great one at that.

LordReaver

Jul 13, 2010
What kind of "trash talk" even took place?? Maybe it wasn't even that bad. Based on this article, it is an unknown factor. Even if it was bad trash talk, it only makes the kid an ass at worst. Whether or not the man returned trash talk seems to be another unknown. If he did, then he is no better than the child. However, like many have said before, the guy had many options of ways to avoid it, yet used none.

Game rating is entirely irrelevant. They are only there for suggested maturity level. If one can handle playing a game without gaining some sort of emotional problem, not confusing video games with reality, and refrain from resulting to violence over them. Then that person is mature enough for said title. If one of those qualifications are not met, then that person is not mature enough for that title. This goes for adults too. As you can see, the adult in the article fails two of these.

The mother again, is not a major problem here. She may or may not have knowingly let her child trash talk. Such a micro issue to bring up on a macro problem. Like the child, she is only at worst, an ass.

The man, however, couldn't handle trash talking with a child, so he premeditated an assault on said child. He's not a hero, this will not deter any noticeable amount of trash talking. The punishment he dished out is not justifiable in any court I am aware of. He is merely a week minded fool. If you are looking up to him, you too are probably a weak minded fool.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Prof. Monkeypox said:
GiantRaven said:
I'd wager it equally pathetic for a 13 year old to throw insults at a grown man through a videogame.
Eh... No. 13-year-olds are allowed to be stupid (which is good, because they generally are). Assaulting a 13-year-old, on the other hand, when you are old enough to know better and should be aware of how bratty 13-year-olds are is just sad.

Plus, assault is always worse than trash talking.
The kids playing a 17+ game through the ERSB rating system (dont know how it goes for over there) So I think its equally pathetic for the parent to have their bad parenting skills shown all over the world from the news story.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
although the guy who hit the kid is in the wrong, why would a 13 year old taunt a person who knows where he lives, is mentally challenged (although to what degree and how we do not know) and is older than him. I mean wow, thats a recipe for disaster right there