Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
The guy was wrong to react that way, it's undestandable that he had a problem with his mental health but at the end of the day choking the little shit was a bit overboard. A clip round the ear hole would have sufficed. But there's still one thing that really bothers me about this article:

"It's pathetic that a grown man would attack a defenseless child like this," his mother added. "If you can't handle losing to a child then you shouldn't be playing games.
If you read the article it seems the source of the attack was from the smack talk. But at what point does smack talk become straight up verbal abuse? Some people don't seem to know the difference between the two; but I consider the second I become a personal target of their spewings that it's no longer smack talk and simply abuse. It's all fine to say that I'm going to have my ass handed to me, but anyone who plays online can tell you that the language and phrases often become much more personal and colourful in their words.

Whilst it's okay for everyone to point out the game is an 18 to begin with, it's even more important to point out that online interaction is not rated by PEGI/ESRB. When a parent purchases a game with online functionality they should seriously consider the community they'll be opening up to their child. The fact that the kid's playing it in the first place combined with the above quote tells me that the mother has no knowledge of that particular online online community and isn't fit to judge the actions that come about because of it.

TL;DR - Parents should know what they're getting their kids into. Interactions online are unrated and a lot of the time not policed. Death threats are traded like common insults. This article is proof that people who play online are far too secure in their anonymity. The kid's lucky, if this were somewhere else and the he was tracked down he might have met the barrel of a gun instead.

The anonymity of the internet is abused by people like that child; it was just incredibly unfortunate that he was unaware of how thin that shield really was in that case.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Honestly, I can't be angry at the guy.

Xbox Live and all online games would be much nicer places if there were real-life repercussions for acting like a twat.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Call of Duty assaults people.

Can we ban it now?
No. As much as you dislike a game... the man was mentally disturbed in the past and in the end it was HIS fault.

Besides the kid was an ass and it's his own damn fault for insulting a grown man who happened to know where he was.

It is also technically the parents fault for letting the kid play in the first place since he is underage

But really they made up so there is no reason to ban the game.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Considering what enormous assholes we are online to one another, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
*sigh*

I'd stop there if it weren't for the threat of a low content post >_>

3 things:

kids needs to know better than to be such assholes online. For some reason when they get online they feel like they're powerful enough to bad mouth people.

That guy really wasn't mature enough to be playing video games as well if that was how he responded. In case you didn't know, video games have this strange condition where they stop if you turn the console off.

Why did the kid feel like being a jerk when he knew the guy who he was playing online?

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Mrmac23 said:
A man much older and stronger than you loses to you at a game. You relentlessly taunt him.

These are the situations the phrase "tempting fate" was invented for.
Every comment after this is useless. lol

Apart from
jackanderson said:
why is the kid playing the game in the first place? 18 certificate for a reason! /hypocrisy.
Throw the parents in jail, give the guy aggravated assault, throw the kid in juvie for harassing people. Everyone wins :D

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I found this hilarious when I read it a while ago.

Neither should be playing the game, they're both too immature (and one seriously under-age)

excentric22

Sep 8, 2011
to all the people saying that this kid deserved it because it showed him the reprecutions of his actions, you do realize that if this taunting had happened face to face and the guy acted the same way, the exact.fucking.thing.would.have.happened. same charges, same controversy, same everything. No matter what triggered it, 46 year old men shouldnt be attacking 13 year old boys.

SpartanBlackman

Apr 1, 2011
This guy is like friggin batman
"Dude, don't Trashtalk or the Bradford will get you"
"I heard he like, killed 3 hackers who reset ranks"
"Damn"
We need more of this guy.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
krychek57 said:
Wait, what happened to game ratings and good parenting?
"Maybe if you knew what you were buying your kid, he wouldn't be getting choked."

...new ESRB ad?
I can get behind this.

Seriously, this post is hilarious. Good show!

Also, this article cites the Daily Mail. There's a surprise. If he'd been an immigrant they probably wouldn't have even mentioned the game.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
Guys your being twats no the kid didn't deserve being choked, even if he was a ass hat. Even the kid should have better problem solving thing :death choke: and the man that fucker is just a psychotic asshole.

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
Er, what? The kid was a douchebag so endangering his physical (and probably mental) wellbeing was OK?

If this sort of behavior was considered acceptable, no person on Earth would survive past 18. Teenagers are still figuring out how to operate in the world, including what is and is not socially acceptable. And before anyone says, "Then the older guy was helping him!" I'll say . . . no, just, no. There are much better ways of helping a child understand how to navigate conversation in the world.

Maybe I'm a little biased here, being 16 and all, but seriously people: I shouldn't be the one telling you to grow the hell up.

(P.S. Am I too young to be calling 13 year olds children?)

*EDIT* Or are you all trolling?

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I can totally see this being turned into an award winning Lifetime movie.

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
Good. Screw that kid.

I remember back in the day you could ask a simple question in a game and not be ridiculed for everything from being a noob, to being a different race, to supposedly being homosexual.

My only issue is that the kid's mom called him a defenseless child as if the man punted a toddler across the room.

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
maybe this will teach the kid not to smack talk people, fine to be a dick online but try that face to face with someone, you'll be swollowing your teeth.

Learn fast kids, don't be douches.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"It's pathetic that a grown man would attack a defenseless child like this," his mother added. "If you can't handle losing to a child then you shouldn't be playing games."
UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE FREAKING MILLENNIUM.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
A 13-year-old boy got the scare of his life when a middle-aged man he trash-talked in Black Ops tracked him down and "throttled" him.
Didn't moviebob mention something about this in one of his episodes? Where he said that in the old day if you kicked someones ass in a game and bragged, you'd likely get your ass kicked IRL.

Sounds like the little shit got what he deserved (since, you know, he wasn't seriously injured).

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Hey Andy, you might want to change the title of your article. He went looking for the kid because of the trash talk, not because of "the beatdown".