Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

Canon Fodder

Feb 3, 2011
I got more bothered reading the responses to this article than the article itself. Why are we defending slander and making excuses for the child's poor behavior? If he actually said any of that to, let's say someone he was out playing darts with at a bar, he would have something very similar happen to him, but maybe worse because of the various weapons that are in a bar (beer bottles, mugs, bar stools to start the list). And locking up the man who has some mental health issues, and is in a cruddy position that too many people seem to be in now a days? This is a sad state of affairs if we say it's ok to goad something/someone bigger than us and expect it/them to just be ok with it.

All the people saying "well there's a mute button, use it!", why should I have to mute the vast majority of the people who I game with? Why is it socially acceptable to insult people randomly than it is to compliment people on their game play? All of the people who decide to mute that annoying little pre-teen/teenager who is talking all the smack, you are just sending the message that his/her behavior is acceptable because you are not challenging him/her on it.

"Why is the mother letting a M game babysit their child?" Off of what I could see of what little there is on the article, it looks like she was visiting a friend and having a bit of a adult talk with her, and to be completely honest, 13 should be old enough to entertain yourself without constant parental supervision ( remember when I was 13, Mom kicked my butt outside and said "I don't want to hear from you for the next 4 hours unless it's an emergency." And we were happy to oblige her on that. So it's not really the problem of her buying/letting him play a M rated game, it's more of the fact that this idiot 13 year old didn't know when to stop trash talking. Hopefully he learned his lesson about talking smack, especially to someone who knows where he lives and sleeps and is MUCH bigger than him.

Canon Fodder

Feb 3, 2011
4173 said:
Mental health issues is a uselessly broad term. It gives zero insight into the event. If I was in a really foul mood I may even say it was discriminatory.

Ironic the amount of internet tough guy posturing in the thread; I'm sure all of you routinely backhand crying babies in restaurants, shove cellphones down the throats of people using them during a movie and shiv rude clerks at the supermarket. God help anyone who cuts you off in traffic, that's when you break out the C-4.
I tell people to bugger off when they actually do things that anger me. Most of the time I laugh it off as uncontrollable (the baby thing, hell babies don't even know what they want most of the time), haven't came across the situation (cell phone's in a movie and rude clerks at the supermarket), or just doesn't bother me (being cut off at the supermarket). But an insult directly aimed at me? I do take that personally, because it is personal.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
A 13 year old CoD player screaming while he plays? A walking stereotype! He deserved it. But, couldn't the man simply mute the idiot? If he could, then he deserves a beating for being stupid.
100% agree with this guy