Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Releasing Early

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Releasing Early

Monolith Productions' Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor moves away from a popular October 7 release date to September 30.

Monolith Productions announced today that it has moved the release date of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from October 7 to September 30.

Release dates have been in flux, especially for this fall. BioWare's Battlefield: Hardline will launch early next year instead of this October. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136316-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Delayed-at-Least-a-Month]

"Based on hearing fans' excitement over the latest chronicle in Middle-earth, [Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment] will release the action game earlier than originally planned at all participating retailers," a press release states.

The early release date is good news for fans who want the game as soon as possible, but it's likely WBIE also sought to launch its game before the many others coming on October 7, including NBA 2K15, Alien: Isolation, and Driveclub. It's still possible for other remaining October 7 games to delay (or unlikely push the release date forward), but if anything NBA 2K15 looks set for the date.

The PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One versions of Shadow of Mordor will launch on September 30 in North America and October 3 in Europe, while Windows PC and Steam versions will be available on October 2.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. A mysterious Wraith resurrects Talion, setting him off on a quest for revenge against Sauron.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/25/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-releasing-early/#continued]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
They could, you know, use that extra week to make sure everything works. They could even market it as a *gasp* innovation in game development!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Oh great news!

One week should be more than enough for me to complete the game.

EDIT: Wait..why the hell is the PC version delayed?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think the push in launch day was a result of the other games. I feel like Dragon Age Inquisition was Shadow of Mordor's only real competition, and that was pushed back. The majority of people that would play something like NBA or Driveclub probably aren't interested in something like Shadow of Mordor, and vice versa. And I think we've all learned by now that Alien games these days suck.

They should have just kept the release date as it was, even if they think it's ready. It can't hurt to double check everything to make sure they deliver a polished game.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
DarkhoIlow said:
Oh great news!

EDIT: Wait..why the hell is the PC version delayed a week? Wtf guys...

48 hours is not a week.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
youji itami said:
DarkhoIlow said:
Oh great news!

EDIT: Wait..why the hell is the PC version delayed a week? Wtf guys...

48 hours is not a week.
Yeah my bad I read wrong. :p

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I'm sure the devs are ever so grateful they have to get everything done in a week less than originally scheduled.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Thumbs up from me with this news!

Well you never hear about video games coming out EARLIER than their intended predictions, that's a nice bit of news from the usual case of events, cough, looking at you dragon age inquisition! Lets hope the games just really really good then XD

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
Well why not? It gives us plenty of time for the game to earn its Certification of Not Shit.

...unless you pre ordered. Given how the last LotR game on PC turned out, and WBros PC games in general, you really ought to know better.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Pedro The Hutt said:
I'm sure the devs are ever so grateful they have to get everything done in a week less than originally scheduled.
I sincerely doubt one less week of development would impact any feature in the game, and as they are still able to work on the game (even though the release date is slightly earlier).

I'd expect a day-one patch, if they find any issues after going gold. And if the game ends up broken, then one more week wouldn't fix that.
Edit: Not that having to fix your broken game with a day one patch is a good thing.

From what I've seen, it actually looks like it could be a really fun game, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it reviews.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
gigastar said:
DarkhoIlow said:
Well why not? It gives us plenty of time for the game to earn its Certification of Not Shit.

...unless you pre ordered. Given how the last LotR game on PC turned out, and WBros PC games in general, you really ought to know better.
I don't preorder games, except for Blizzard games (usually because of limited Collector Editions) and Witcher 3 Collector's Edition.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Huh...implications aside, it's actually quite refreshing to see something being the exact opposite of delayed.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Fucking awesome. I wonder if I can convince my fiance to pick that up for my birthday?