Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review - The Ring of Truth

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Stepping into Middle-earth as a wraith-possessed ranger is amazingly fun.

Read Full Article

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
This sounds like the perfect game for me.

I hope people copy the Nemesis mechanic in this game like they did the fighting mechanic in the Arkham games...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Nice review. Makes me a lot less anxious over whether the game will be good or bad. It also makes me a lot less patient too. I can't wait to play it.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Well that is surprising. Thought the game looked pretty generic from the first gameplay demo and never followed up on it. But now...I might just have to check this out.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
I am unbelievably excited for this game. The next 4 days are going to be like being promised something AWESOME...but I have to watch paint dry for 4 straight days before I can have said AWESOME.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So I've paid basically no attention to this game, thinking it was just an Assassin's Creed knock off, but now I'm interested. I'm definitely gonna have to look into this one some more.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Lol, I wish I had saved my money for this instead of buying Destiny. Probably would've gotten more enjoyment out of it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I was pretty excited for this game. Glad to hear that it'll probably live up to my expectations. This is the first game that's given me a reason to pick up a next gen console (the devs said that the nemesis system wouldn't work as well on last gen).

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I find myself disappointed you can only play the one character in this rather than, say, either Talion or his wife.

Not because it's such a bad thing to only have the one character choice. I just like options. (And what can I say, I like playing female characters.)

Still, I had been ignoring this game sorta assuming it'd just be yet another LotR game that wouldn't amount to much. Now I feel like I should at least check out some Let's Plays or something and give it some consideration.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Hmmm, didnt know it was out now, hell, I thought it would be next year.

Sometimes its cool that these studios dont intruduce their games in their concept stage (looking at you Phantom Pain)

Dec 14, 2009
This one was kinda flying under my radar until very recently. Like a lot of people, I kind of had this one pegged as a crappy Assassin's Creed clone.

Now I realise it's more than that, and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the reviews on this one.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Glad to see it may be worth my time when I have a system that can handle it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok, i can take that as a Certification of Not Shit.

Now just need to wait and see how the PC version turns out.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I still think this game would be a lot better if it were a new IP instead of LoTR. But I'm glad that it's good. It's been getting great reviews from a lot of websites.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Greg Tito said:

Read Full Article
Is this getting a 360 release? Colour me interested.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
bjj hero said:
Greg Tito said:

Read Full Article
Is this getting a 360 release? Colour me interested.
Yeah it is but Monolith said that the Nemesis system is a bit dummed down in previous gen systems so keep that in mind.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
If only it wasnt LOTR and actually its own brand.

Bloody indusry vultures taking a crap all over the lore.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder how this game will fit in the lore. Probably won't end well for the protagonist, considering Sauron is still alive and his forces are firmly in control of Mordor during the prologue of Fellowship. Not sure how Gollum could be in it, that battle which Sauron lost the Ring was thousands of years before The Hobbit.

Finding out in game should be interesting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I still think this game would be a lot better if it were a new IP instead of LoTR. But I'm glad that it's good. It's been getting great reviews from a lot of websites.
Yeah, I think all of the vitriol responses I've seen on youtube and stuff like "Tolkien is rolling in his grave! This shit rapes the lore!" and blah blah, is somewhat tiresome. I do think they put it in the Tolkien-verse for marketing purposes, and it was effective in that regard. But yeah, it doesn't feel like a Middle-Earth thing to me.

Not that I mind really, I couldn't care less if they are making changes to the lore, as lore-purists are highly annoying to me. If the game is fun, then it's fun and I'm fine with that.

But I wouldn't have minded it being it's own IP, just so it could go wherever it liked with the stuff, without fan-rage.

008Zulu said:
I wonder how this game will fit in the lore. Probably won't end well for the protagonist, considering Sauron is still alive and his forces are firmly in control of Mordor during the prologue of Fellowship. Not sure how Gollum could be in it, that battle which Sauron lost the Ring was thousands of years before The Hobbit.

Finding out in game should be interesting.
My guess is it ends with him being killed, and he, and the shade possessing him will both find piece after their vengeance has been fulfilled. They will likely have to save somebody's life too, to show that they haven't been totally consumed by their thirst for vengeance, and can still help the world of the living. Then, the hero will probably see the shades of his family there to embrace him, and then fade to white, cue credits.

Most vengeance stories where "My family is dead, and I barely survived death myself" end pretty much the same.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
In the UK its out on 3rd October for PC/PS4/XB1 and 21st November for 360/PS3. This looks like a fun game, shocked about the length it can take to complete but i think it will also be a really fun time. Plus i like collecting stuff in games....as long as they add something like background story etc An the Nemesis system looks excellent, hopefully it will be used in other games.