Middle Eastern Character Rashid Revealed for Street Fighter V

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Meh, a lot is going to depend on the character's background and things like that. To me I'm guessing it will be another PC stereotype to try and deal with "Islamophobia", which would have meant more if everyone and their brother didn't seem to be on that bandwagon right now.

He's a fine addition to the roster from the way things look, and a stereotypical look makes sense, since that's pretty much par for the course when it comes to the characters who tend to exaggerate some aspect of the nationality or culture. That said the timing is bad and I imagine they can't win on this one as the character will either be a good guy and thus expected and stereotypical for the moment, or an evil terrorist working for Shadoloo which will be considered insensitive.

The point of a video is to make each character look good, but to my eye unless there is something I'm missing this guy seems like he might be a bit unbalanced/broken unless all those hits are only doing as much damage as a warm summer breeze on a steel plate. I could be wrong, but I suspect he'll be one of the first characters to see a rebalance and perhaps see a ban in tournaments.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Therumancer said:
The point of a video is to make each character look good, but to my eye unless there is something I'm missing this guy seems like he might be a bit unbalanced/broken unless all those hits are only doing as much damage as a warm summer breeze on a steel plate. I could be wrong, but I suspect he'll be one of the first characters to see a rebalance and perhaps see a ban in tournaments.
Nah, most of the time, it's the stuff that isn't noticed that ends up needing to be rebalanced.

For example, Morrigan in MVC3 was considered to be rather rubbish, then Chris G found out that she could build super meter while in a state where she could control 2 versions of herself.
He then went on to turn the entire game into a massive bullet-hell and singlehandled kept his rent paid with weekly winnings at Wednesday Night Fights.

That and a common balance tool is that the more hits you have in a combo, the less damage it does over time.
Personally, I think his Mix-up game will be where he really shines, he has the most mobility of a character yet, even more so then Vega/Claw and he's a freaking ninja.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
ParasiteX said:
Adam Jensen said:
RealRT said:
See, now this is actually the kind of diversity that I like - with the minorities that actually ARE underrepresented.
ParasiteX said:
Talk about poor timing to reveal a middle eastern character.. This character was released yesterday.. on 9/11 of all days..
Well that's pretty racist on your part.
To put it mildly.

FFS, he's Middle Eastern not Al Qaeda. I don't even want to think about how he'd react if new Prince of Persia were announced. And 9/11 was 14 years ago. In the US. The world doesn't revolve around it.

The guy looks cool as fuck. He does have a bit of a Dragon Ball vibe going on mixed with some Jafar.
Woow... Talk about the butthurt being strong in this thread. Calm your panties..

Did i say he looks like a terrorist or some shit like that? Nooo..

I was simply pointing out the very akward timing of revealing said, and very stereotypical, character..
There's nothing awkward about it. And you know damn well you were implying it. Why bring up 9/11 if you weren't?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Dango said:
The biggest surprise of this story to me is that there's an IGN Middle East.
This, honestly.

Also I guarantee you people will be complaining about stereotyping or some crap. People like that are why we're never getting burkha assassins.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
ParasiteX said:
Adam Jensen said:
RealRT said:
See, now this is actually the kind of diversity that I like - with the minorities that actually ARE underrepresented.
ParasiteX said:
Talk about poor timing to reveal a middle eastern character.. This character was released yesterday.. on 9/11 of all days..
To put it mildly.

FFS, he's Middle Eastern not Al Qaeda. I don't even want to think about how he'd react if new Prince of Persia were announced. And 9/11 was 14 years ago. In the US. The world doesn't revolve around it.

The guy looks cool as fuck. He does have a bit of a Dragon Ball vibe going on mixed with some Jafar.
Woow... Talk about the butthurt being strong in this thread. Calm your panties..

I was simply pointing out the very akward timing of revealing said, and very stereotypical, character..
Right, its awkward. How is it awkward exactly? If its totally not racist it shouldn't be a problem to explain the awkwardness without it being totally racist, right?

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Don't lie, 90% of people who saw this probably thought the same thing. This guy said it openly. Get over yourselves.
I didn't think that, and I'm usually pretty politically incorrect and critical of Islam. My first thought was Jaffar from Disney's "Aladdin" and then "One Thousand and One Nights" after I read the bit about him having wind powers.

In all, he looks like a pretty cool character. Obviously people will whine about him propagating negative stereotypes, but how negative can the guy be if he can control the freaking wind and kick ass? If Capcom made a Jewish character dressed like an Eastern European from the 1920's but gave him some elemental power and big muscles, I wouldn't be put off by it.

Apr 28, 2008
So first we get Kars, and now Wham in SFV. Can't wait for them to reveal ACDC and then we'll have all the Pillar men.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
ParasiteX said:
On another note... why the heck.. does he carry a backpack? I don't remember any other characters carrying backpacks in SF.
And i can't be the only one thinking this.. but it does strongly imply it's filled with explosives..

The whole timing of this characters reveal and the backpack makes this whole character into such a hilarious stereotype. And makes me wonder what Capcom was even thinking when they thought this up..
As I replied to other guy/gal, it seems that this backpack is actually a source of his wind powers. He himself is just an agile guy.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Irridium said:
So first we get Kars, and now Wham in SFV. Can't wait for them to reveal ACDC and then we'll have all the Pillar men.
By that logic, we'll also need either a cocky trickster (Joseph) or Rose.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
MC1980 said:
The rest of the world doesn't think or care about the US's personal tragedy a decade and a half ago, just as the US doesn't give a shit about other countries tragedies going back 14 years.
So...you speak for the entire rest of the world AND the US?

BOW BEFORE YOUR OVERLORD, PEASANTS!!!

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
It's weird when Capcom makes an ethnic character that isn't a complete walking stereotype (Honda, El Fuerte, Dhalsim, Zangeif, etc) or when it's a really random nationality slapped onto a monster (Blanka, Necalli, Necro).

I'm also shocked they had the restraint to not add Fighter-From-Brazil-That-Doesn't-Actually-Use-Any-Brazilian-Martial-Arts #4.

However, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Rashid has the same exact move inputs as Clan Shoto the majority of the cast. If not, it may change somewhere between Super Street Fighter V and Mega Street Fighter V 2016 Arcade+ (It's Okay We're Only Charging Fourty Bucks Edition).

Okay, so I'm a little bitter with Capcom as of late. I'll admit it.

Rashid does look pretty sweet though.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ParasiteX said:
Adam Jensen said:
RealRT said:
ParasiteX said:
To put it mildly.

Dig up man, dig up!

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
WTS @ that last picture, how is she even standing with two extra heads on her chest! But seriously, that seems overly obnoxious to what I remember her uniform looking like, maybe its the graphics or something but it looks weird as hell.

Anyways, Rashid looks pretty cool. He is the first 'wind' based character isn't he? I'm guessing Djinni played a bit in his inspiration?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Foolery said:
There's nothing awkward about it. And you know damn well you were implying it. Why bring up 9/11 if you weren't?
Noooo, of course there isn't.

Don't lie, 90% of people who saw this probably thought the same thing. This guy said it openly. Get over yourselves.
No because we aren't all american. Most of the world kinda forgot 9/11 happened already. Or we would have if USA wasn't bombarding us with" 9/11 was the worst tragedy to ever plague this earth" messages every year.

ParasiteX said:
Adam Jensen said:
RealRT said:
ParasiteX said:
To put it mildly.

Terrorism has no race or religion. Remember when people were afraid of communists?

And how exactly is he stereotypical? How much aboutthe middle east do you actually know?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Ihateregistering1 said:
MC1980 said:
The rest of the world doesn't think or care about the US's personal tragedy a decade and a half ago, just as the US doesn't give a shit about other countries tragedies going back 14 years.
So...you speak for the entire rest of the world AND the US?

BOW BEFORE YOUR OVERLORD, PEASANTS!!!
Well to be fair, nobody this side of the pond cared about it by the time October rolled in.