Mighty No. 9 Becomes 3rd Most-Funded Game on Kickstarter

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mighty No. 9 Becomes 3rd Most-Funded Game on Kickstarter

Mighty No. 9's Kickstarter campaign ended yesterday as a huge success, topping $4 million raised on Kickstarter and Paypal.

Comcept USA's Mighty No. 9 ended its crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter yesterday, funding the project by 427 percent. Of its $900,000 goal, it raised $3,845,170 from 67,226 backers, and it raised $186,380 from Paypal, putting its total money raised over $4 million. Only two other videogames funded on Kickstarter have raised more money, Torment: Tides of Numenera, funded in April, and Project Eternity, funded last year.

Comcept USA posted an enthusiastic update on its Kickstarter page upon the project's completion. "You. Are. Undefeatable! Unstoppable! Unbelievable!" the company wrote.

Mighty No. 9 reached each of its stretch goals; it will have versions available for the PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita, and 3DS (as well as PC and Mac), and it will include a single player level as heroine Call, an optional retro-style chiptune soundtrack, and an online battle race mode. Comcept USA added the last two stretch goals yesterday, and later wrote in its update, "Each time we turn around, we're smashing through another stretch goal."

The project's funding began during a PAX Prime 2013 panel. It completed its initial goal within four days. The side-scrolling game stars Beck as its hero who must stop a virus causing mechanical creatures going insane. The team is aiming for a PC release in Nov. 2014.

Considering Capcom has lately thought Mega Man games won't make any money, Comcept USA has completely outdone itself with its beyond successful Kickstarter for Mighty No. 9.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts]

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Mighty No. 9 was the first Kickstarter I backed, and I could not be happier to be involved. I posted here recently that I doubted MN9 would reach some of its goals, and while entirely wrong, I'm certainly not upset about it. I look forward to the game in all its glory in 2015.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
This'll be a blast, gotta love some solid side-scrolling shooter shenanigans.

Of course, given the initial success - "Capcom suddenly decides to bring Megaman back to life - more on this story soon...ps:MN9 and its success totally didn't factor into this, nope."

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Is this the part where I start flooding his inbox with angry letters about demanding my stuff NOW because I don't understand the concept of Kickstarter?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Take that Capcom. I was following the game for quite a while, but finally jumped in when the vote for Call went up. I love when they do supporter polls like that. Two of my three favorite Calls made it to round 2 :) *snugs Call B*.

It's just too bad they didn't put up colorized versions of them for the poll. Some of the fan colored pictures were excellent and would have changed my vote.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Out of all the Kickstarters I've put up money for I think this has to be the one I'm most stoked for.
I grew up playing Mega Man, and have been really disappointed with Capcom's treatment of the franchise as of late (especially after MM9 & 10 .... then nothing). Even happier that we managed to snag all those stretch goals. Extra stages and modes are always a great thing to have, and chiptunes soundtrack? Hell yeah!

The Mega Man is dead!
Long live the Mega Man!

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I still we can't believe we managed to hit EVERY stretch goal. I thought at least the last two or three would be dropped off, but then the money just kept on rolling in! Very satisfied I must say. When you just look at what we're getting, and how available its going to be? Mmm, so good.

Course now we play the waiting game, but I can't wait to see how this all works out. Congrats and thanks to everyone who backed the project!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
If THIS doesn't make the fuckwits at Crapcom turn their heads then nothing will.

It's way past time we dismissed ALL publishers as irrelevant and clueless con-merchants with no stake in the world but to scam customers.

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
How on earth is he NOT going to get sued by Capcom? Aside from the undeniable truth that it would incinerate any good will they have left?

Personally, I will buy the game, and I think it would be awesome and hilarious if Beck is added to Super Smash Bros. 4.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
GamerFromJump said:
How on earth is he NOT going to get sued by Capcom? Aside from the undeniable truth that it would incinerate any good will they have left?

Personally, I will buy the game, and I think it would be awesome and hilarious if Beck is added to Super Smash Bros. 4.
Everything from design, to aesthetics just look far too different from the original Megaman. You can't do anything about style though...because it's the same artists, but in terms of design and functionality? Capcom can't do anything.

It would be the equivalent of Mario suing let's say- Rayman, because they are both 2D sidescrollers that involve jumping on enemies to defeat them with an end level boss.