Mighty No. 9 Changes Focus To Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mighty No. 9 Changes Focus To Consoles

Console versions of Mighty No. 9 have very suddenly become a little bit closer to reality.

Mighty No. 9, Keiji Inafune's "spiritual successor" to Mega Man, hit Kickstarter on August 31 and very quickly blew the doors off [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127371-Update-Mega-Man-Creator-Kickstarts-Mighty-No-9] its goal, raising $900,000 in just four days. One stretch goal and then another fell shortly thereafter, and it seemed very much like the sky was the limit. But the one concern that a great many supporters had, according to the developers, was that as a PC release, the game wouldn't properly capture the "feeling" of the classic Mega Man games. Console versions were offered as a stretch goal at $2.5 million but even with the mighty momentum, that's an awfully big number.

It's a little closer now, however, thanks to some stretch goal tweaking that gives the console plan a better chance of coming to fruition. "We're happy to announce that, because of your feedback, we are officially pushing back the unannounced '???' goals in order to move the making-of documentary $250K closer, and yes -- the PS3/360/Wii U versions of the game $300K closer as well!" the team wrote in a Kickstarter update today.

Apparently there's more to making this kind of thing happen than just swapping some numbers and/or features around. "The dollar amount for any one stretch goal isn't designed to go only towards that one stretch goal, at least not in many cases -- even after fees and rewards are taken out. Usually some percentage of funds goes toward the larger game as a whole, adding and polishing pieces that aren't as headline-worthy or sexy as the stretch goals (hopefully!) are," the update explains. "We're happy that, in the end, we were able to make these adjustments without having to remove or reorder any goals we previously announced, as we can still be confident about the cost calculations we already had in place for them relative to each other."

There's still a long way to go to reach the PS3/360/Wii U stretch goal of $2.2 million but 300 large is a substantial cut and right now it appears well within reach: The Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter runs until October 1 and has already rung up well over $1.5 million.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/588626]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
$450,000 for PS3/360/Wii U ports. Is that enough?

Genuine non-sarcastic-anti-console question, I don't know that much about porting.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
To quote ScrewAttack:
"Capcom has shoved the old Megaman so far up their ass they only let him come and and do cameos"
The sheer arrogance and incompetence Capcom has displayed for the Megaman license is at this point so absurd that the theory that Capcom litterally hates money is becoming a plausable reality.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I still think that the documentary should come after the console versions. Mighty No. 9 is still going to be a commercial product where the focus is on profit, and allowing more people to play the game is going to bring in a bigger audience and thus more profit. A documentary is for those fans who already own the game/people who interested in the process behind game production, which is (most likely) considerably smaller than the entire audience of the PS3, Xbox 360, & Wii U combined.

Also, the article title is a bit misleading. You should consider changing that, Mr. Chalk.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
$450,000 for PS3/360/Wii U ports. Is that enough?

Genuine non-sarcastic-anti-console question, I don't know that much about porting.
Probably not. But then again, 900k would not be enough for the game as proposed. They state on the KS page that they're investing their own money into it too.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
It's cool to see this, because I think a console version along with a PC one would be really awesome. I know I've already contributed enough to get the game when it comes out, but if a Wii U version get's released I might consider getting it as well.

V8 Ninja said:
Also, the article title is a bit misleading. You should consider changing that, Mr. Chalk.
I don't think Mr. Chalk can write headlines that aren't either misleading or sensationalist. At least I haven't seen one. It's one of the things I really don't like about the Escapist, that they've been starting to rely more and more on sensationalist headlines to get cheap hits.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im geusing that when they put the original stretch goals up, they never imagen just how it would go, and didnt think of the other two...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Lets hope this doesn't mean that the PC version will suffer from lazy porting.
i'd hardly doubt it will ever suffer with consoles in the mix.

But then again virtually no one on here will bat an eyelid if the console versions suffer.

I would however love a Wii U version of the game since it seems fitting for the U.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
CyberAkuma said:
The sheer arrogance and incompetence Capcom has displayed for the Megaman license is at this point so absurd that the theory that Capcom litterally hates money is becoming a plausable reality.
aegix drakan said:
Sweet.

Capcom must be KICKING themselves at this point. Why the hell did they let Megaman rust in the closet for this long?
It's very simple: Capcom wants to kill itself. Seriously, think about it, most of their actions as of late all paint the picture of a company hell bent on it's own destruction.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
i'd hardly doubt it will ever suffer with consoles in the mix.

But then again virtually no one on here will bat an eyelid if the console versions suffer.
I prefer competent ports, no matter where the game originates or where it's going.

Forgive my apprehension, but I'm just tired of dealing with games that claim to have full controller support, but in reality only have support for The One True Controller (Xbox 360) and I have to play 20 questions with either Joy to Key or 360ce.

All because the programmer couldn't spend the one work day it would take to code in some fucking Plug N Play support.

(I believe my count is up to...3 this year?)

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
Lets hope this doesn't mean that the PC version will suffer from lazy porting.
That makes no sense. This is being done on PC for PC, first and foremost. The console versions will be ports of it, so the PC version cannot suffer from it.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Do you see this, Capcom? We're not even getting Mega Man himself and this game is getting crazy support! If that's not proof that you need to do something with the Mega Man franchise (make a new game, sell it back to Inafune, or better yet, collaborate with him), I'm not sure you know how to run a video game business anymore. Make it handheld exclusive if you have to - fans were happy enough continuing on through the GBA and the DS.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Ah Kickstarter proving that you can make any game idea come to life... so long as it's on older popular properties or genre headed by one of the innovators of the genre in the day. But still, better than a kick in the ass.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
P...Please tell me that was just like a rough draft. Jeffers. Please, for the love of god, tell me that that was not actually thought to be an aesthetic choice worth being made. It has to have been just place holder sprites, right? Right?