Mighty No. 9 Changes Focus To Consoles

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Agreed that Inafune is also partly to blame, but I actually had a little hope for Maverick Hunter because it was made by the geniuses that gave us this gem of the FPS genre:
Admit it, you'd at least be interested to see how the people could get it to work because Metroid Prime effectively brought Metroid into the modern era and the trilogy was amazing in visuals, story, and gameplay and still hold up to me as being one of the best console FPS games ever.

Also, Universe was cancelled for Megaman Legends 3 actually if I remember correctly or it was Megaman Online that was cancelled for it.
Oh, and here's what Megaman Universe was which is why it sorta looks like that, this was taken from the Polygon article about Maverick Hunter:

Mega Man Universe
announced July 2010 - canceled March 2011
Planned for release on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, Mega Man Universe would have allowed players to build their own stages and customize their own robots. It would have seen various Capcom worlds collide, bringing Ryu from Street Fighter and Arthur from Ghosts'n Goblins into Mega Man's world. Capcom ultimately canceled the game, offering little explanation.
Source

Anyway, Capcom was actually given an offer from not only Inafune himself to finish the game, but also by the CEO of CyberConnect2, who was actually offering to fund and finish developing the entire game because the CEO didn't want to see the game die, and both were denied. With Inafune it would make sense as to why he was denied, but denying CyberConnect2 is just plain retarded. It's stupid because CyberConnect2 is not just some random indie company or a company that has only made a few games, no they've got quite the extensive history and some famous games that should be released on the PSN so that the cost to replace my damaged copies doesn't make me go broke...>.>
CyberConnect 2 has made the all the .Hack series games, the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series, and more recently JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle which is practically printing money at this point and has barely come out a few days ago and sold over 500k in preorders and actually received a 40/40 from Famatsu.

Basically at this point if there was ever a single IP I wanted saved from Capcom and sold to Nintendo, it would have to be the Megaman series.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
P...Please tell me that was just like a rough draft. Jeffers. Please, for the love of god, tell me that that was not actually thought to be an aesthetic choice worth being made. It has to have been just place holder sprites, right? Right?
Like I said above, Megaman Universe was different in that the community was allowed to make the stages, so that's more than likely why that picture looks like that. Plus it was cancelled after not even being announced for a year so we don't know the progress of it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
RT said:
Mighty No. 9 Changes Focus To Consoles
Or it actually doesn't, they are just pushing the console-centric stretch goal closer.
That's what I was thinking, went and had a look and they haven't made that stretch goal yet at all.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Neronium said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Agreed that Inafune is also partly to blame, but I actually had a little hope for Maverick Hunter because it was made by the geniuses that gave us this gem of the FPS genre:
Admit it, you'd at least be interested to see how the people could get it to work because Metroid Prime effectively brought Metroid into the modern era and the trilogy was amazing in visuals, story, and gameplay and still hold up to me as being one of the best console FPS games ever.
Okay, Ill admnit that I have a somewhat bias opinion towards First-Person Perspective games (I dont say FPS because that doesnt always apply), but as I enjoyed Metriod Prime 1 & 2, I would have most likely given a Megaman FPD done in the same style of Prime a chance.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Okay, Ill admnit that I have a somewhat bias opinion towards First-Person Perspective games (I dont say FPS because that doesnt always apply), but as I enjoyed Metriod Prime 1 & 2, I would have most likely given a Megaman FPD done in the same style of Prime a chance.
See for me I don't really enjoy FPS games at all. I mean there are exceptions to the rule, Metroid Prime being one of them, and at first I thought it was stupid, but once I learned who would be the ones making it I had decided that if it indeed came to exist then I'd actually buy it.
Of course at the time it looked like my hatred of Capcom was subsiding since Legends 3 was finally coming, and then all that feeling of forgiveness was instantly replaced with rage and sorrow. :D
Basically I'd not purchase a brand new Capcom game since Okami on the PS2 back when it came out, but then Capcom started going retard and I stopped buying their games.
The Legends 3 fiasco finally just caused me to give up on them entirely.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Twenty Ninjas said:
teebeeohh said:
little bit sensationalist headline maybe
You should see Polygon's. "Mighty No9 Prioritizes consoles!"

It's like a contest for who can make the dumbest headline.
Wow, normally The Escapist wins those but Polygons is just sad.

The Kickstarter hasn't even reached the console stretch goal, its just been lowered.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Neronium said:
A little citation would be nice~
Admit it, you'd at least be interested to see how the people could get it to work because Metroid Prime effectively brought Metroid into the modern era and the trilogy was amazing in visuals, story, and gameplay and still holds up to me as being one of the best console FPS games ever.
I agree, assuming it's true. Then we'd also have to assume Capcom wouldn't make them create countless DLCs for it and that they'd resist the urge to tack on a multiplayer. Even if they avoided the first, I get the feeling the second would've happened regardless.

Even so, I think the reaction to DMC was more to blame for the cancellation of that game than anything else. Not so much the negative press and the controversy as much as the fact that a lot of old DMC fans ignored it out right. I mean, the sales numbers from four to the reboot dropped like a rock.
I mean, that's just me guessing, but since its cancellation was announced after DMC flopped, it seems right to me.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about the OT. Right, I'd love to see this on consoles honestly. The game looks nice and it'll be nice to play some old school Mega-Man styled games again.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
So how much more do we have to give beyond the console limit to have a commercial where the protagonist of Mighty No. 9 points and laughs at Capcom?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
So how much more do we have to give beyond the console limit to have a commercial where the protagonist of Mighty No. 9 points and laughs at Capcom?
he pretty much said in the first update that he has no animosity towards anybody he's ever worked with

that being said i like to imagine that sometimes Beck uses only half of his two finger salute when that subject comes up

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
I still think that the documentary should come after the console versions. Mighty No. 9 is still going to be a commercial product where the focus is on profit, and allowing more people to play the game is going to bring in a bigger audience and thus more profit. A documentary is for those fans who already own the game/people who interested in the process behind game production, which is (most likely) considerably smaller than the entire audience of the PS3, Xbox 360, & Wii U combined.

Also, the article title is a bit misleading. You should consider changing that, Mr. Chalk.
Tell them, they've been really responsive to fan feedback so far.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
maybe they could lower the amount needed for a console version if they dropped a Wii U version and stuck with PS3 and 360.. not like they would make enough money to justify it on wii u anyways

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SilverBullets000 said:
Neronium said:
A little citation would be nice~
Citation incoming in 5...4...3...2...1...:
Tada: Third paragraph
And if Polygon is a source that you don't like then how about Nintendo Life?

Anyway, I think it has more to do with the fact that honestly Capcom doesn't know what to do with the Megaman franchise now that Inafune is gone really. The reboot might have had something to do with it, but honestly I feel that all the cancellations of Megaman games as of late are because Capcom doesn't know what to do really.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
BernardoOne said:
That makes no sense. This is being done on PC for PC, first and foremost. The console versions will be ports of it, so the PC version cannot suffer from it.
It only makes no sense if you don't understand how the business works.

If you're going to design a game with a technical ceiling (some sort of limitation like processing specs) then it makes the most sense to first design around the lower spec platform due to its limitations and work up from there.
While the reverse can be done, it's more costly and aggravating.

The problem arises when companies cut corners and only do step one (design for the lower spec platform), and then half ass the "working up" step. I can provide many, MANY examples of this. (All of Bethesda's mega-games from Oblivion onward are the most infamous culprits here)

Even if the project "starts" on PC, never assume it stays there unless it's already finished on PC before being ported.
(like Terraria; there was no console version for the first year)

Given that Inafune's team is still running the Kickstarter, I seriously doubt they're past the conceptual stage in development.

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
BernardoOne said:
That makes no sense. This is being done on PC for PC, first and foremost. The console versions will be ports of it, so the PC version cannot suffer from it.
It only makes no sense if you don't understand how the business works.

If you're going to design a game with a technical ceiling (some sort of limitation like processing specs) then it makes the most sense to first design around the lower spec platform due to its limitations and work up from there.
While the reverse can be done, it's more costly and aggravating.

The problem arises when companies cut corners and only do step one (design for the lower spec platform), and then half ass the "working up" step. I can provide many, MANY examples of this. (All of Bethesda's mega-games from Oblivion onward are the most infamous culprits here)

Even if the project "starts" on PC, never assume it stays there unless it's already finished on PC before being ported.
(like Terraria; there was no console version for the first year)

Given that Inafune's team is still running the Kickstarter, I seriously doubt they're past the conceptual stage in development.
Its a 2D game. Born and created on consoles. I dont know what exactly you are expecting. Its not exactly something hard to port to consoles.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
BernardoOne said:
Its a 2D game. Born and created on consoles. I dont know what exactly you are expecting. Its not exactly something hard to port to consoles.
You would think that, but I've seen low fidelity games make such mistakes.
So forgive me for not sharing the same optimism as you.

It's really a matter of whether or not the developer (well, usually the publisher really) gives a fuck.