Mighty No. 9 Release Date "Is Set in Stone"

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Mighty No. 9 Release Date "Is Set in Stone"

It's actually happening.

After multiple delays, the trek towards the release of Mighty No. 9, the highly-anticipated spiritual successor to Mega Man from Comcept, is finally seeing a glimmer of hope. It was announced today that Mighty No. 9 will be releasing on June 21 in North America and Asia, and June 24 worldwide - and that these dates are "set in stone."

The announcement of a firm release date was accompanied by a message from Keiji Inafune, which you can read in full below:

"To all of our backers and fans of Mighty No. 9,

Firstly, I would like to say again how sincerely sorry we are for how long we have kept all of our fans waiting. We are finally able to deliver some long awaited news regarding Mighty No. 9. We have now confirmed the following release dates for Mighty No. 9: June 21st 2016 (North America & Asia) and June 24th 2016 (World Wide). We understand that as a result of the various delays we have disappointed and let down our fans, but we are happy to finally be able to deliver the game to everyone who brought us this far.

With the game having "gone gold" we are in the last final stages of being able to deliver it into your hands, be that via your favorite retail outlet, or via digital channels.
Therefore the release date we are announcing is set in stone and there will be no further delays for the game.

Portable versions for PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS T will follow at a later point.

It has been almost three years since the start of our Kickstarter campaign, which was only made possible through the support of our backers and fans around the world. This is a project where everyone's passions were combined in order to create something very special, and we are looking forward to delivering the final product to everyone who was involved. There can be no stronger connection between game creators and game fans.

Now that the dust has settled, we will be delivering Mighty No. 9 to everyone next month. How long will it take you to clear the main story on NORMAL? How many people are going to be able to clear MANIAC mode? What is going to be the fastest record for the time attack mode? We are looking forward to seeing the community answer all of these questions for us! Make sure to let us know your feedback and thoughts on the game through our SNS channels as you play the game. Your voices are what made this game possible, and we want to continue hearing what you think so that it may influence our future endeavors.

-Keiji Inafune"
[gallery=6201]

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Keiji Inafune said:
Your voices are what made this game possible, and we want to continue hearing what you think so that it may influence our future endeavors.
Are those voices shut down in the forums included?

Keiji Inafune said:
Make sure to let us know your feedback and thoughts on the game through our SNS channels as you play the game.
Or don't. You might get banned for life.

And no, I'm not a backer.

It's quite amusing now in retrospective to see how much this is supposed to be the spiritual successor of anything. Mega Man is alive and supported with ports to various systems, especially after the Kickstarter. What's missing are actual new releases, but the last one is barely 6 years old. It would be time for a new one, but how much of a spiritual successor was Mighty No. 9 when it began its Kickstarter?

Also, if you're "mean", you could include spin-offs.

I don't like Comcept. So as long as it isn't released, it will be the spiritual successor to Duke Nukem Forever for me. As well as when it gets released and sucks.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Regardless of all the drama for the backer's sake I hope it ends up being a good game.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Does anyone legitimately believe in this game anymore without being deluded into thinking that it'll truly be a successor to Mega Man? All the delays, the lackluster demo, the drama with Dina or whatever her name was being a total ass to the community she moderated, it's a perfect storm of bad PR that turned one of the more well known Kickstarter successes into a laughingstock.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Yeah. Just like that time you said there wouldn't be more delays or how the game was supposed to be out more than a year ago. I've stopped caring.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
The fact that I'm first hearing about this via a news site, and not via email (despite being a backer), pretty much sums up the whole experience... At least it's (supposedly) nearly over.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'll give them a chance. I mean afterall Hyper Light Drifter did came out this year!

Now I can't decide wheather to get it on Steam (probably wait for a sale first) or wait for the 3DS version (pleased don't let it be a bad port).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well if its set in stone, and the stone happens to be clay it could feasibly be alterable.

OT: I've become disillusioned with Inafune's promisemaking. Dude may have been a good dev but definitely isn't suited to be in total charge. Should the game come out and be great, wonderful but I'm not banking on it. I'm not saying it'll be crap but the way they've delayed and other controversies surrounding it have put me in a thought mode of it being possibly mediocre or buggy as fuck.
I want it to succeed but my trust is on shaky ground at best. I'll probably buy it on sale but don't expect me to be an early adopter.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Might pick it up pre-owned, but there's no way I'm giving this asshat a penny after the way he's presented himself over the past year. Like everyone else has said, I hope the game is good for the backers' sake, but watching it flop would be great karma.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Cue a bunch of people complaining about delays and community managers.

Meanwhile, I'll gladly play it when it gets released. Probably while listening to the Protomen.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
DemomanHusband said:
Does anyone legitimately believe in this game anymore without being deluded into thinking that it'll truly be a successor to Mega Man? All the delays, the lackluster demo, the drama with Dina or whatever her name was being a total ass to the community she moderated, it's a perfect storm of bad PR that turned one of the more well known Kickstarter successes into a laughingstock.
I believe in the game. Having played a demo at the TGS in 2014 and a new demo at Gamescom in 2015, I believe in the game.
Judging from these demo's that I have played, I feel that the game is pretty close to the classic Mega Man games and could very well be called a spiritual successor to the classic Mega man series.

However, I don't expect it to do very well with critics and reviewers. A lot of people's opinions on the game will be influenced by the delays and bad pr moments that happened during the development of the game. Aside from this, I feel that the game and its gameplay itself might not live up to modern expectations and standards of video games. Even though I feel that the game itself is very close to the original Mega Man series and thus could be called a spiritual successor, I fear that just being similar to such an old game might not be enough anymore for people.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Better late than never, I guess. Actually, I know it's better for backers that sunk more than chump change into a project for it to finally come out.

Now, how many years' worth of delays do we need to sit through before Red Ash (maybe) reinvigorates Capcom's interest in the Mega Man Legends series?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
This is still a thing? Geez, I thought it came and went already: just figured it sucked and just quietly went into a corner to die.

Admittedly, I stopped following it much after all the delays and then their community manager's abysmal reaction to gamergate and the subsequent banning of paying backers.

At this point, I can't help but feel like when it comes out it simply won't be worth the drama and delays. Then again I consider megaman legends to be the best of the franchise, so it's not like I was chomping at the bit for a return to the glorious 8-bit or 16-bit era of pure controller snapping frustration. Besides, we have dark souls for that now.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Just to put some positive energy here:
At last we will play the game we were waiting for!!!
Now we must only hope it play actually good.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Set in stone doesn't mean the same thing as...ETCHED IN STONE!!

INAFUNE, MY SON!! Sorry, I have taken it upon myself to mention the Dungeon of Doom any time it seemed like it'd get a laugh. Anyway, you'll understand if I don't believe you, Inafune.