Mike Capps Leaves Epic

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Mike Capps Leaves Epic

Mike Capps, recently retired president of Epic Games, revealed today that he was no longer affiliated with Epic Games in any way.

Mike Capps, recently retired president of Epic Games, revealed today that he was no longer affiliated with Epic Games in any way.

In a public statement released on Facebook, Dr. Capps wrote: "When we announced that I wanted to transition out of my leadership role at Epic, the plan was for a continued but less active role, service on the board of directors, and ideally, being that eccentric semi-retired guy who still comes to playtests and gold parties. I'm sad to say that plans have changed, and as of February 11th, I'm no longer affiliated with Epic Games. (I thought it best for Epic's staff to hear it first, and the announcement was made today, so now I'm sharing this more widely.)

"I have many wonderful memories of my time at Epic, and I wish my friends there all the best in their future projects.

"So what's next for me? Games have been so good to me, and I'm delighted to have the time to give back. I'm a member of several game industry boards, and I'm proud to serve as an advocate for our art in Washington. I'm considering seats on a few company and advisory boards, as well as options for teaching at one of the world-class universities in the North Carolina Triangle area. And mostly, I'm focused on being a new dad in a few short weeks. Time is flying by, and I've still got a dozen games I want to play before the UnSleep begins!"

During Dr. Capps' tenure as president, Epic created multiple million-selling, award-winning titles, most notably Escapist-award winning Gears of War, which has sold over 4.7 million copies. Epic was recognized as 2006 Developer of the Year by Official Xbox Magazine and 2007 Large Company of the Year by the North Carolina Technology Association.

With Dr. Capps' departure, Epic Games has now lost another of its most seasoned leaders, just at the critical moment when next generation consoles begin to arrive. It is the latest in a series of high profile departures from the game studio, including Gears of War executive producer Rod Fergusson and strategic investment from Chinese internet portal Tencent. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119936-Cliff-Bleszinski-Leaves-Epic-Games]

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/michael.capps.351]

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
geez Epic losing all your upper fellas

but man it'd be nice to have someone like him teaching a class at a local university here xD

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
duchaked said:
geez Epic losing all your upper fellas

but man it'd be nice to have someone like him teaching a class at a local university here xD
Not so much as losing their upper fellas as retiring to spend more time with the Chinese money.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Good riddance. CliffyB, Capps.. now they only have to dump Mark Rein, and they'll have a shot at being a decent company again.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
[HEADING=1]And nothing of value was lost[/HEADING]

paketep said:
Good riddance. CliffyB, Capps.. now they only have to dump Mark Rein, and they'll have a shot at being a decent company again.
A thousand times, this.